No announcement yet.

low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll try that out after I get her up and running. Battery terminals keep coming loose and sometimes stalls so I have her parked. And at idle is well below the middle just when I'm driving is when it hits the middle of the gauge. That's what baffles me sometimes.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmm, what's the level of coolant like in the radiator & overflow tank?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Heating while driving but cool at idle has been symptoms of a restricted or insufficient cooling system in my experience. Clogged Radiator in my case.

That car also had wacky oil pressure but quite the opposite of yours. It would peg the oil pressure gauge on the highway. Stuck relief valve.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

radiator is full, i check every few days since my water pump leaks so i keep refilling it. it only leaks because i loosened up the wrong bolt when taking out the steering pump to put in a new one. the radiator is a aluminum one about 2 years old. im thinking of upgrading all my hoses, from what i heard if the lower hose doesnt have a spring, it can compress at higher rpms.

Comment

Mine has no spring, and it does not overheat.

Is your fan clutch any good?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

replaced with water pump and radiator. wouldnt fan clutch overheat at idle and not when driving?

Comment

an idea popped into my head, would it be possible that the transmission oil is making it heat up while driving but when im at idle it cools off? i run mostly in 'd' on the city and im usually cruising at about 2500-3500 rpms.

Comment

cruising RPMs should be more in the 1500-2000 ballpark. If you're running that high, then you're probably going to overheat with a stock cooling system. It should never overheat at idle if everything works. If the thermostat is sticking, or sticking half open (had one do that to me), it could keep the system from cooling well since it won't be moving as much water through the radiator. Running with no thermostat seems to move water too fast though and it doesn't have time to cool off in the radiator before it gets back to the engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have 4.10s with a baby cam if that helps. And btw it never overheats at idle, just when driving, more particularly at highway speeds hitting 3500 on OD , it get to 3/4 of the gauge then drops down when I get off and stop at a light

Comment

if the trans is putting out enough heat to overwhelm the radiator, the trans is going to nuke itself, and you have way not enough radiator.

Confirm the fan works properly. They're not needed only at idle.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fan works as it should. Stop and go traffic, stays between O and the R on the gauge. Long periods of driving without stopping is when it starts giving problems. I'm planning on getting a separate tranny cooler with fan and see if that helps. And I'm in the process of doing a 3g alternator swap with electric fans and maybe a electric water pump.

Comment

also possible the water pump leak is sucking air at speed, and you're not actually moving water properly.

Comment

I'll change out the gasket and I'll update you guys on it. I'll do it maybe tomorrow after work.

Comment

Any gaps around your radiator and the core support?
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                There's this dude on YouTube who threw it in the crankcase of his old 2.9 Ranger and it free'd up a sticky lifter(s) in seconds.

Typically all the Old fords I've ever driven go to the middle and stay there as if there's some sort of buffer to keep them there. In your case I wouldn't worry about it as I'd expect it to heat up at idle..
                                My first '90 literally NEVER got above "O" on NORMAL except the time it shit a heater hose. When I had the top-end done on the motor they found out the whole bottom half of my radiator was full of shit and getting ready to burst. They put in a new radiator and fan clutch at that time. After a complete top-end including new aluminum heads, 1.7 rockers, intake, TB, injectors, MAF, etc. it ran cool as ever despite me beating on it and manually shifting to keep it in the radically-different powerband.

New car had a new water pump and radiator flush shortly after I got it and it crapped the pump. Always ran around "R" before and still does. A few weeks ago on a particularly warm day, I was awaiting a pick-up/drop-off in a parking lot in the car with the A/C running for the puppies. Watched the gauge climb slowly from "R", then "M", then it hit about the middle of "A" and wavered. Went down a little, up a little, and I freaked out and shut it down. Rolled the windows down and sweated for a bit. Once we got underway again it swiftly went back down to "R" but really shook my faith. It has a new water pump and fan clutch, the coolant looks great, but i'm scared. May just stick the new radiator I tore out of the other car in there for safety's sake. Driving the boat out to the desert this weekend so we'll see how much I get done tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X