No announcement yet.

low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe O'Reilly's is the only place that carries that weight. I got a noob question, if the pan is 5 qts do I need 6 qts in total ? I put in 5 1/2 about a week or 2 ago when I did the oil change. My dad and I initially agreed that the clicking was coming from the front of the block. Not sure if that helps. On Friday imma do another oil change and open that filter up and see what I find. I also bought a mechanics stethoscope so I can pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming. For right now I parked her and driving the spare buick

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was 16-17 my dad was running 50 weight oil and a bottle of motor honey in "my" '87 CV (dad owned it, unless mom or dad needed it I was the only one that drove that car until I was moved to "my" '88 County Squire). I don't remember what noise dad said it was making but I never heard anything unusual from that engine running that stuff so I suppose it worked. I drove that car for a year, then dad drove it daily for a couple years, then he sold it to a friend and I'm not sure where it went from there.

10W-30 is what was recommended for the rebuilt engine in my '89 MGM, and I still run 10W-30 in that engine 120K miles after the rebuild and the engine is now in on of my '91 MGMs.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-18-2017, 08:44 AM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
        When I was 16-17 my dad was running 50 weight oil and a bottle of motor honey in "my" '87 CV (dad owned it, unless mom or dad needed it I was the only one that drove that car until I was moved to "my" '88 County Squire). I don't remember what noise dad said it was making but I never heard anything unusual from that engine running that stuff so I suppose it worked. I drove that car for a year, then dad drove it daily for a couple years, then he sold it to a friend and I'm not sure where it went from there.

10W-30 is what was recommended for the rebuilt engine in my '89 MGM, and I still run 10W-30 in that engine 120K miles after the rebuild and the engine is now in on of my '91 MGMs.
        I never tried the motor honey stuff, suppose it would make the oil even thicker judging how that stuff pretty much has the viscosity of honey. I'd advise heating that shit up and adding it while adding the oil so it doesn't just glop right down to the bottom of the pan or go nowhere at all. If an engine is OK I always run what the manual states to run, right to where oil burn and other crap starts to happen.

These cars dip sticks don't read right and since mine burn oil I always buy 6 qts at oil change time. I tend to use just 5 to prime the filter & fill the crankcase but the stick reads over full. Then I maintain it within the cross hatch but have always wondered if I should just notch my dipstick right where it is after actually adding 5qts...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Stock oil capacity is 5 quarts when you change the oil filter.

The bearings can be loose for a long time and finally lose just that last little bit to drop the pressure. I've seen these things knock for years and still have some pressure.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Stock oil capacity is 5 quarts when you change the oil filter.

The bearings can be loose for a long time and finally lose just that last little bit to drop the pressure. I've seen these things knock for years and still have some pressure.
            Mine knocks like a son of a bitch after 195,000 and I always have decent oil pressure. Just changed it today and I had two bars of pressure on my old LCD gauge at idle. I think that's about 20psi. Usually sits around 30-50 running.

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Stock oil capacity is 5 quarts when you change the oil filter...
              With that said I think I'll notch my dipstick.

Comment

alrighty guys update on the mercury. put in some 15-50 oil, worked like a charm. she idles hot a 17-20 psi, while driving 40-60. pressure doesnt dip anymore it just goes down to 17-20 and stays there. thanks guys !!

Comment

Here she is. Baby cam, ported e6 heads, shorty headers with full custom 2.5 dual exhaust. Rebuilt 8.8 with true posi 4.10s

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool. You have a set of 1.5" spacers to run the mustang wheels up front too?
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

havent bought the front ones yet. needed bigger tires in the rear to keep from peeling out from everywhere i left. so i spent my monies there first lol

Comment

That help with the valvetrain noise at all?

Comment

nope still there. im starting to think its either a bad lifter or a loose rocker arm. seems to be coming from near the dizzy and front valve covers.

Comment

Could always try throwing some seafoam in the crankcase ~150 miles before your next oil change.

Comment

i'll probably try that. i put in some stp oil treatment this last oil change. helped out the noise a tad bit. car tends to hit the middle mark in the temp gauge while driving and will drop back down between to O and the R while at idle. any ideas there or is that normal?

Comment

There's this dude on YouTube who threw it in the crankcase of his old 2.9 Ranger and it free'd up a sticky lifter(s) in seconds.

Typically all the Old fords I've ever driven go to the middle and stay there as if there's some sort of buffer to keep them there. In your case I wouldn't worry about it as I'd expect it to heat up at idle..

Comment

Working...
                                X