May have messed up my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May have messed up my head

Was trying to port some gt40 heads when I noticed my drill hitting the gasket mating surface.... has this happened to anyone? Is it a problem? Fixable? Or wasted? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1572.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1303873
    sigpic

right at the edge of the chamber, thats not good. You might be able to get the head shaved down depending how deep it is.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My thoughts exactly It's pretty deep. I can get it replaced I just didn't want to go threw ordering and shipping again....
      sigpic

Comment

Probably fine but you could always get it welded and cleaned up. Not the end of the world. Dump them and buy good heads

Comment

Cast iron does not weld very well.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

probably better to just replace and try again. Better to do something now than have the engine together and constantly blow head gaskets.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Eh, put it together and run it. Worst case is you blow a gasket out at that specific spot. Doesn't look like it's near a water jacket hole, so it shouldn't trash the motor. Get a nice cushy gasket and hope for the best

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                Eh, put it together and run it. Worst case is you blow a gasket out at that specific spot. Doesn't look like it's near a water jacket hole, so it shouldn't trash the motor. Get a nice cushy gasket and hope for the best
                agreed, take a file and knock off the edges.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Cast iron does not weld very well.
                  Yeah always thinking aluminum for some reason. Meh, JB weld then, lol.

Comment

personally I'd braze it and have it milled back down, but thats me. TIG with silicon bronze rod will do cast iron too, but still with the need to mill. Don't know if JB will handle the combustion temps. You're right at the edge of the chamber there, where the fire ring has to seal.

Comment

I decided to just go with another head. Got it swapped and started again. I've even got them on the car now only to be stopped by a broken valve cover bolt.... it's always something
                      sigpic

Comment

Bah!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                        X