Water accumulation in the trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water accumulation in the trunk

I've noticed over the past few months that water will accumulate in the driver's side of the trunk between the quarter and the trunk floor during a heavy rain. Anyone else experienced this before?

I can't really tell where it's coming from. I'm thinking about removing the back window molding to take look. None of the trunk liner panels show any signs of moisture. I simply always find that area of the trunk full of water after a heavy rain like we had here last week.

I'm a bit concerned about it due to how humid it has been here over the past couple of weeks. I don't have a climate controlled space for the car and I really don't want mold to start growing in it. May is almost over, so hopefully we'll see a bit less rain once summer hits.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Could always be a bad trunk seal. If the design is anything like the later cars, you could probably pull a fresher seal from a newer '92+ car. FWIW, I put a '98+ seal on my '97 and it fit perfectly.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

also check the drain for the fuel fill door. Seems to me there is a rubber tube from that "cup" around the filler down and out through the bottom of the quarter panel area. If that tube is clogged or missing it will dump into the area you describe.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X