Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'87 Colony Park suddenly turned off!

Hello Guys!

Iīm still on my adventure of restore my Colony Park! since I bought it 5 months ago. However, today happened what I was afraid all this time: Since I do not use the car often, I turn on the engine each 2 days. Today I turned on the car, it worked about 10 minutes, after that, the engine began to sound irregular and suddenly it turned off!! (it has half of fuel tank according to the dashboard needle).

Before that, I noticed that the car changes the intensity of power (I donīt know how to explain it), for example, when the lights are on (and when not), I heard a little "click" inside the car and the intensity of lights and engine power change constantly, like 1 or 2 minutes. The electric sistem and alternator was revised recently, so I discart it (no completely as part of failure).
    I suspect the problem is the fuel pump, wich was very noisy. Usually, when I turn the key on possition "2", it sounded like a buzz and the car started at possition "3", but I donīt heard the "buzz" now and the car try to start but does not keep running after that.

Any ideas?. I know the explanations can be many, but i always found knowledge on this forum, and since iīm not in US, I need a proper diagnosis for solutions and looking for parts, probably online. Also, I would like to know how can get access to the fuel pump, it seems I need to remove the fuel tank?
    thanks!

Check the fuel pressure. Should be 30-35 psi at idle. It should pump up to about that when you turn the key on without starting the engine too. If its under about 20 psi, it probably will not run.

Tank has to come out to change the pump.

Check the fuel pump relay before you get too far along.

Would also be worth checking for spark.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Check the fuel pump relay before you get too far along.
      Thanks for the advice!. how can I locate the fuel pump relay?

Comment

If your fuel pressure is good, follow up with the check for spark. I went through a similar situation with mine a few weeks ago where it was fine and then it cut out at a light. I had a bad TFI module. I replaced that and it ran fine after.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yep, if it dies out after running for a bit, i'd suspect ignition issues, most likely TFI like Wolfie mentioned. Fuel pressure WOULD be the best place to start though.

Comment

If the relay is original... it should be the green one in this bunch...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	4relays.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1281868

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Will try with the fuel pressure first, thanks!
              And how about the "Changes of intensity"?, if the TFI coil ignition is bad, can produce that simptom?

Comment

Originally posted by JesusGM View Post
                Will try with the fuel pressure first, thanks!
                And how about the "Changes of intensity"?, if the TFI coil ignition is bad, can produce that simptom?
                When my TFI went, the engine would sputter, miss, and buck. Felt very low on power and it would frequently stall when stopped. I limped it back home and replaced that along with the coil, cap, and rotor since I was right there.

Still follow through on the fuel pressure check unless you're sure the fuel pump is working properly.

My Cars:
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The one I had go bad, it ran absolutely perfect and just shut off at a stop light. No warning at all. Its really hard to say for sure what will happen when those fail. Sometimes its like a switch, sometimes the engine runs bad for a while, sometimes it works only when cold.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, at this time, I would say it works ok when it's cold (not so good, but it works). Today I inspect the fuel pump relay and looks to be the original, no problems apparently, at least visually...
                    Sorry for so many questions, but where is locate the TFI under the hood?. I can't recognize it. Iīm acustomed previously to a BMW E30, so Iīm still learning about this car!

Comment

TFI should be on the distributor mounted on the side.
                      The grey module on the side.
                      http://www.cjponyparts.com/distribut...1993/p/DIST47/
                      (not endorsing this site, just using for the picture)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

This is the TFI module?:
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Con...5Yncq-&vxp=mtr

How much could be the proper price for this part?. If I canīt find it in Chile, I will need to buy by ebay.
                        And another question, where is the Ignition Coil?, better replace both?.

Comment

Originally posted by JesusGM View Post
                          This is the TFI module?:
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Con...5Yncq-&vxp=mtr

How much could be the proper price for this part?. If I canīt find it in Chile, I will need to buy by ebay.
                          And another question, where is the Ignition Coil?, better replace both?.
                          That's the TFI module. Get a Motorcraft or proper name brand one. House brand or el cheapo ones will not last. When installing, use heat sink compound instead of the grease they include. Prices seem to vary, but usually run between $25-$50 USD.

The coil is in front of the distributor to the left. Follow the coil wire from the distributor (the center wire) and it'll lead you the coil. It's very near by.

My Cars:

Comment

Also, you may have to pull the distributor up a little to get the TFI module out. Make sure you mark the position of the rotor in relation to the case and the case in relation to the engine. It is VERY easy to get it a tooth off. You will need to reset your base timing as well. You will need the TFI module tool.
                            https://lmr.com/item/LRS-TX646/Tfi-Module-Tool

and when you replace the module, make sure to put thermal grease between it and the distributor or the new one WILL fail.

As for the brand of module, get a Motorcraft if you can. The part number should be DY1284. If you can't find one, make sure the other brand is a "grey" one. The black version may cause problems as that's used on different systems than our cars use.

Comment

An update: Today visited me a car electrician that I know previously. Due to the symptoms and the info you gave me, We conclude that the problem is the Ignition Coil. I notice that the TFI module installed on the car is Motorcraft and was intervened previously, cause the "holes" for the bolts were "spaced" to remove the bolts. I went to a Ford parts store and they donīt have the coil, but have the TFI, for the not so affordable price of about $180 USD, but since it is Motorcraft, I pay for it, hope it last for another 30 years!. I will wait about 5 days to get it, because the last in their stock was in another store in another city. I will need to look at ebay for the coil...

I will have problems with 2 things: The special tool, wich I assume it will be difficult to get in my country, and the heat sink compound, but maybe I could find the compound in another store. to set the timing, I will need the help of a Mechanic, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X