PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature #3

Southern

Default 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature #3

My fleet consists of 4 cars that have some form of uniqueness to them

66 Country Squire - rare car these days, not suitable for daily driving
    89 Colony Park - nice car, unfortunately motor blows tons of oil and paint shot. Trim is All in good shape. Can't daily - fear of damage to trim or other body panels.
    90 Town Car- 1 year only bumpers easily damaged and rare to find in good shape. Not very fast. Not a great commuting car for drive I have. I also have grown to really like the car a lot. Value per nada classics gone up, don't want to daily drive it anymore.
    03 TC black on black with moonroof 40k miles. Paid too much for the car. But too valuable to me to drive daily and get dinged scratched in parking lots and all.

And honestly don't really like the 03.

So I've been looking for another reasonably priced, good for daily driving, 03 Signature or Cartier in that dark blue. Prices at dealers are insane. I didn't want a beige interior I wanted black. lo and behold I found one on Long Island in NY. At a transmission shop. Owner gave go ahead for rebuild. Then couldn't pay for it. Car has sat for 6 months - then I asked friend that happened to be going to NYC to check it out.

220k Signature with moonroof, black interior, park assist, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, alpine radio... it was in VA all it's life until three years ago. Had some Ford dealer service records. And a recent NY inspection a year ago.

$1900! Brand new rebuilt trans. Quiet motor and no floppy suspension parts. No major leaks. Quiet rear end. So on my way back from moving a friend back to Syracuse I went and bought it.

It's the perfect daily driver.

Has some dings, scratches and bruises - but for a car that will be getting that in parking lots, no tears will be shed

Plan is to swap damaged panels for the good ones from my old blue 03 that was crushed by a tree. Fix a tiny patch of rust where paint came off size of my pinky .

What's wrong with it?
    - been in front end accident that damaged condenser and bent radiator. Condenser replaced but not radiator. Needs panel adjustment up front. Does have like new Oem Lincoln lights and a new Lincoln grill oem. Wasn't a super bad hit. Just needs fine tuning.
    - has some oil seeps from valve covers
    -Park assist don't work
    -steering column shaft lower is bad big time binding.
    - steering column column has worn bushing causing floppy steering wheel
    -no airbag behind steering wheel
    -mushy brake pedal but plenty of fluid
    -floppy shifter - needs shifter shaft bushings.
    -flush power steering and brake fluid and other maintenance tlc
    -needs some tires
    -swap some interior trim and pieces that are worn or broken like power seat track or dash panel

I'm really happy how this car is for $1900. Ac cold, heat hot, and tracks down road pretty well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5584.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	47731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5580.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	47735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5583.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	47732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5582.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	47733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5581.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	47734
    Last edited by TecNickal; 05-28-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

GMN Regular

Good luck with this '03
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD *In storage for the winter.*
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *Parts car.*
    '94 Crown Victoria

Blue with black!

My favorite color combo!

I love it. Absolutely perfect. I like how we have the same mentality when it comes to daily driving cars. The list of stuff we own just keeps growing, lol!

Southern

Yea...and costs increase lol

This blue one is a keeper. Color looks great in sun and completely different in shade/dark. Can't wait to buff it.

Depending on time, I may try to replace the lower shaft today - getting at that lower bolt is tough. Not much room and lots of corrosion on the threads on a 10mm bolt. The 13 was no problem.

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    Yea...and costs increase lol

This blue one is a keeper. Color looks great in sun and completely different in shade/dark. Can't wait to buff it.

Depending on time, I may try to replace the lower shaft today - getting at that lower bolt is tough. Not much room and lots of corrosion on the threads on a 10mm bolt. The 13 was no problem.
    Isn't that lower shaft covered by a recall ? Save yourself work and expense if you can.

Southern

2005 and newer are recalled notn2003-4 :-(

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Looking good! Time to put a few 100k miles on it.

-ryan s.

08 Lincoln Navigator L - 145k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58,171 miles
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 167k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Southern

I know you had a TC this color. Two year only color but is a nice one. The 06-07 was the last of dark blue.

So I HATE rust. God this stuff just sucks. Freaking steering shafts. I need the shaft to compress 1/8" more. After 1.5 hours of removing bolts and hammering and shifting items don't have clearance. Won't compress.

I am replacing steering column anyways so out comes the steering column tonight which then means out comes the lower and upper shafts once I pull them
    Both back enough. Even with lube lower one binds. Upper one is getting floppy. Bearing in firewall sounds like gravel.

These pieces all came off like butter from junkyard grand marquis that looked MINT underneath.

Column bushing is giving loose wheel impression.

Can't wait to get that crap fixed.

Next is a brake system bleed (get rid of soft pedal), replace driver seat seat track (easy out feature wore out the gears), and replace the tires!

Don't worry yourself with NADA value, worry about PERSONAL value instead. That NADA shit is the reason why nothing is affordable anymore too, it's as if people see that and expect to fill their pockets with whatever the stated amount is should they sell their car. I love when people go so far as to include a screen shot of NADA or KBB's stated value in their ad.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Southern

Got the replacement lower and intermediate installed. Got the junk car steering column installed too. This also meant the shifter bushings that were gone on the 220k car are now back because the junk car has great bushings and grease. Wow much better!

The steering column also had a good clockspring and an airbag in place. So I'm happy now. It steers much better silky smooth. Now just need to flush power steering and unless I have bad tie rods it should be good on steering.

Unfortunately the horn and the cruise control don't work. Buttons worked before and clockspring is good, so....maybe a fuse, relay? Cruise servo has a busted cable probably so that's what's going on with both. Further investigation after work.

This weekend I want to fix the cowl leak and grommet leak around hood cable. Then strip carpet out and start scrubbing everything. Some people keep their cars very nasty. Charge up the AC too.

Here's a video - sorry I had it rotated wrong. The junkyard shiny parts are from an 04 Grand Marquis.
    https://youtu.be/JyTthyIX8KQ

Southern

True it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it

Man, your ability to get stuff done makes me jealous. Sometimes I stare at my stuff thinking I've got special powers that will magically cause the car to fix itself, hasn't happened yet.

Southern

Stare fixing never seems to get it taken care of :-(

I loathe this mushy brake pedal. Wow it's annoying.

Yah even my lazy ass will get to fixing brake crap ASAP.

Southern

Well I woke up this AM and thought to look around some more at the car. No cruise and no horn. I hit panic on clicker - no lights flashing so I figured bad clicker. Hit the horn nada.

So went back to basics and looked to make sure things were plugged in - jiggled relevant connections. Nothing. Then thought ok, let me check fuses. Uh...spot 4 under hood has a vacancy.
    Look in owners manual - 15A -Horn. Hmm...

Got a fuse - inserted, hit horn pad - honk! Cool. Hit clicker lock button - honk! Hopped in car got up to 30, turned on cruise - it engaged!!!

Small steps and small things yield large celebrations

Next up - water testing the cowl leak fix, adding counter weights back to exhaust, and double checking the front end to make sure nothing floppy (already checked once). I hear a pop/knock passenger side. Also install the proper black steering wheel with good airbag. Currently it's beige. I'll post a video later.

I'll need a friend to help me with the brakes.

Also I removed the stupid Motorola cellphone kit that was half disconnected in there.

Wonder if a reason will POP up surrounding the vacant cruise/horn fuse slot.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Southern

Busy day and yesterday. Managed to break every single bolt head off of the front row of bolts for the front seats. Luckily the studs for the rear ones come up out of the floorboard in the nuts spun off easy . Went to a friends house and he used his torch to heat up the floor pan to put vice grips on the remaining threads to spend them out. Also found out my lower control arm bushing's are wasted the ones further back. Also found out my exhaust system has counterweights in the H pipe it's very different from the crown Victoria and grand marquis which have counterweight at the joint between the H pipe or y pipe and the catalytic converter's. I'll still install the new gaskets between the catalytic converter and the H pipe with the new nuts and bolts but would like to know what causes the engine vibration.

I created one seat from two seats that I had to repair the broken seat track on the driver side. Unfortunately it is only mildly better and the gears are making crunching sound. Just wonderful. Need to source a replacement motor as well as instructions on how to install

Since the seat came out I pressure washed the carpet need to get all the dog hair out of it still it won't come up with the pressure washer . Charge the AC up some but it's still not as cold as it should be
    Last edited by TecNickal; 06-05-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Wonder if a reason will POP up surrounding the vacant cruise/horn fuse slot.
    I see what you did there. I laughed
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I see what you did there. I laughed
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Southern

Something with the exhaust is resonating against the body or the frame and its really annoying (and unsophisticated for a lincoln!).

AC ain't working so well, compressor sounds like hell. I will probably move over the AC lines, compressor and condenser from my crushed blue 03 to this one.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast