PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature #3

Ya know, we almost picked up an 03 or 04 in FLA, was really, really clean with like 220k miles and dirt cheap. It almost made me get past my twin cam & mile long timing chain stigma..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Southern

I am doing the two motor mounts and 1 trans mount this weekend. Tired of the buzzy, vibrating and clunking. I scored both NOS 03-08 town car mounts for like $110 on eBay for the motor and a trans mount for $40. Believe I have to take the wiper cowling off and the fan out to do this job. Jack it up on the harmonic balancer.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Southern

Well - I removed the upper and lower cowling, got some wood blocks and jacked on oil pan (yea yea yea), but there was no way to jack on harmonic balancer, sway bar in way. Removed lower 18mm nuts jacked it up up up. Three 13mm bolts with integrated washer and blue locktite. Both mounts were junk - the safety on each one was holding the motor in. Even though this is a northern car, the bolt/rust situation on each one was fine. Nothing stubborn or hard to work with/deal with. Just difficult angles. Had to remove battery connection as to walk the mount out on the passenger side you had to really jack the motor up to walk it between the frame and the starter. Accidentely grazed a + cable to the starter and got a little zap where the sheathing had pulled back - another reason to disconnect! oops. There's also a half matchbox size hole in the frame right under where the evap drains. Those of you with non salted cars should consider putting some kind of shield over the area to save your southern frame (like my 89 and 90). Will get a picture when I go under there to do the oil filter housing gasket and sending unit.

There was so much rust, salt, sand, and dirt that came down on me while removing the mounts - poor car. I cannot tell you how much better this car feels. Hardly can even feel when you change between P R and D now. Butter smooth. No more NVH. Feels new - love it. I may change the trans mount, but need to road test it - have a stuck bell housing bolt at the moment, 13mm, want to replace dipstick tube for trans as its welded on and rubbing on body.

Oil pan gasket is damp around it (yay). Looks like the same PITA like on a 5.0...jack it up, stuff wood blocks under exhaust manifold and motor mounts to hold it high enough to get pan down enough to remove the oil pickup so you can remove old gasket and hose out crap that comes down in the pan. No leaks so it's being left alone for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6350.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	48610  
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Nice. Last motor mount job I did (on the 04 Benz) I had to remove the exhaust. NOT the manifolds luckily.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Southern

The mounts on the boxes are great - doubt they’ll ever fail.

I purchased a European vehicle recently. Oops . How hard was removing the exhaust on your car?

It was actually easier than I expected. Nuts came right off the manifold to h pipe bolts. That is where I was worried.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Southern

Update from past weekend.

Did the oil filter housing gasket (Fel-Pro). Also new oil pan drain plug (some A Hole german torqued it and stripped threads on the bolt!) got the plug from Ford dealer. New Motorcraft water pump, thermostat (Felpro o-ring). So now all the belt drive is Ford stuff - no aftercheezy. Put a 50K alt on from a junkyard car. The one that came with the car still was fine at 227K, but the bearing was getting gravely sounding. Car got an oil change as well. Car runs beautifully. Power steering pump sounds like hell. Maybe I should just get another...quit being cheap. No one ever changed the fluid it was nasty.

Still need to resolve mushy brake pedal. Would like to replace trans mount once I replace the trans pan gasket and do J-Mod. Would like to do a Ford Racing intake and toss that Dorman intake crap and do plugs on it - and clean the engine bay up, it's disgusting. Next year, I'll look into doing the exhaust manifolds. Brakes first though...

Bought for $1900 w/reman trans. Put less than a thousand into it. Just drove it to Pittsburgh yesterday after work, didn't miss a beat. What a car. the 70mm TB gives it enough zip that it doesn't feel quite as much of a dog.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Car continuing to do just fine. Maybe uses a quart of oil in 2000 miles or so? And that "using" may be a bit of seep from older gaskets (like the oil pan). Its so minimal it's hardly a worry. It gets driven like a livery car daily. I've bled the brakes again as well as did a service/abs bleed. They work better now, but they are so meh. Not confidence inspiring.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123