1980 LTD S Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    I don't think the Ford header panels will work on the Mercurys without a little bit of modification. There was a thread regarding frame lengths and the Mercury ones have extensions on the front to give a few extra inches since the header panels are longer, which puts the bumpers out a little bit more.

Assuming you added the extra extension to the end of the frame, you could fit it. I think Mr Bean dealt with that during the frame swap portion on the Mod Box.

Here's that thread with info: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=frame+length
    Right, I saw that once before...unfortunately to put the (shorter) Ford nose on the (longer) Mercury frame, one would need to "add header panel" or "subtract frame" otherwise the bumper will stick out too far. The reverse swap would see the bumper tuck under the header panel.

I am not equipped to make such alterations (frame mods) so it would be preferable to put it onto a Ford, of course.

Ironically, or appropriately idk, I have a 79-82 Mercury header panel (based on the grille it has in it) on my garage floor, and it's in a colour close enough to the sunbaked wagon I'm getting, so I could do some fun stuff with that. Easier to add material between the bumper and frame than it is to subtract frame.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I always call the rear wagon seats "mother in law seats" WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

At least 1980 with a 302 should be a proper carb, not some clusterfuck feedback thing with computer control or one of the CFI versions with their demons. I'm also an EFI guy, but I think I'd take a real 2150 over a VV or CFI most days.

No AC, not enough headlights and no woodgrain shoots that out of the water for me though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          Describe said '88 weird option combo car plz.

Note lack of power windows or locks, yet ATC. And heavy duty suspension? Manual locks in a box is a pain if you use them, especially if reaching for the tailgate. Original owner said he didn't want to move the lever constantly but apparently could be troubled to manual lock the doors. I must admit that not moving the temp lever ever is nice.

To confirm my earlier thought, all 79-87 Ford hoods are the same according to master parts catalog. S model or otherwise.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            At least 1980 with a 302 should be a proper carb, not some clusterfuck feedback thing with computer control or one of the CFI versions with their demons. I'm also an EFI guy, but I think I'd take a real 2150 over a VV or CFI most days.

No AC, not enough headlights and no woodgrain shoots that out of the water for me though.
            351w with a brain box; yellow grommet I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

Meh, variable venturi then? The 3 wire Duraspark isn't a big deal, but feedback carbs are just a mess, same with all early emissions systems honestly. Miles of vacuum plumbing with ported switches and all that nonsense. I guess that crap might work if its all 100% but it does not age well.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's why I prefer EFI

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
                  That's why I prefer EFI
                  Same. I told TecNickal that if my Colony Park had been a pre-SEFI, it would have been a deal breaker. I like the early style Boxes, but out of whack carburetors and CFI setups seem like headaches if not dealt with to get them running right.

I have no issue learning how the older systems work, but I do like turn-key reliability and efficiency of a SEFI setup.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    Same. I told TecNickal that if my Colony Park had been a pre-SEFI, it would have been a deal breaker. I like the early style Boxes, but out of whack carburetors and CFI setups seem like headaches if not dealt with to get them running right.

I have no issue learning how the older systems work, but I do like turn-key reliability and efficiency of a SEFI setup.
                    I know it's arguing semantics and makes me seem pedantic, but I've seen this kind of remark start confusion threads while researching CFI stuff...so, to be completely clear. CFI is EFI. It is 100% as much EFI as is SEFI. It uses the same inputs (including the same actual sensors in the case of EEC-IV CFI), a computer, and injectors.

The only reason it's prone to malfunction, really, seems to be the condition of the electrical system supporting its operation. EEC-III CFI has the added bonus of limited self-diagnostic capability, but "everyone I've talked to" (anecdotes...) says they run fine when everything is happy. So it just offloads that diagnostic responsibility onto the poor schmuck with the multimeter staring at the engine bay.

Compare it against a feedback carb, or in particular the VV carb, and you combine the same electrical concerns with the high potential that the carb itself requires tweaking and I'd call that an exponentially worse nightmare than an ill-running CFI car.
                    Last edited by kishy; 06-08-2017, 11:37 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by adam.w.ackerman View Post
                      Confirmed, no jumps; also a none A/C car, but damn clean. I will post more in the firsell section.

I had the light green version of that. Mine had the jump seats. This one has the vent window option.
                      The hood and header look different because there is not a hood ornament on the header with the S model. I added one to mine. I should not have as it kept getting stolen by some punk kids.
                      Nice looking car, but a mechanical lemon. Weak lower end 351,C-4 . Many one year only parts. Make sure you are getting it cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post

Note lack of power windows or locks, yet ATC. And heavy duty suspension? Manual locks in a box is a pain if you use them, especially if reaching for the tailgate. Original owner said he didn't want to move the lever constantly but apparently could be troubled to manual lock the doors. I must admit that not moving the temp lever ever is nice.

To confirm my earlier thought, all 79-87 Ford hoods are the same according to master parts catalog. S model or otherwise.
                        I see this was nearly a decade ago, do they still do this? If so, how did you contact them? Pretty fuckin' rad! I want to figure out if my Town Car was special ordered and what it was ordered with. I've done it the backwards way and believe it to be a special order car- I've got warranty cards and stuff with the original owner's name on them. It's a Signature Series so it's got all the jazz that came with those so the only other option that it has which wasn't part of that package is the load leveling suspension. Old man had priorities haha.

Heavy duty suspension... What did that include? Visibility light group? Was that for the lights on the floor and under the dash & in the driver/passenger door? Funny about the auto climate control.. Maybe he just forgot to opt for power windows & locks?
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                          I know it's arguing semantics and makes me seem pedantic, but I've seen this kind of remark start confusion threads while researching CFI stuff...so, to be completely clear. CFI is EFI. It is 100% as much EFI as is SEFI. It uses the same inputs (including the same actual sensors in the case of EEC-IV CFI), a computer, and injectors.

The only reason it's prone to malfunction, really, seems to be the condition of the electrical system supporting its operation. EEC-III CFI has the added bonus of limited self-diagnostic capability, but "everyone I've talked to" (anecdotes...) says they run fine when everything is happy. So it just offloads that diagnostic responsibility onto the poor schmuck with the multimeter staring at the engine bay.

Compare it against a feedback carb, or in particular the VV carb, and you combine the same electrical concerns with the high potential that the carb itself requires tweaking and I'd call that an exponentially worse nightmare than an ill-running CFI car.
                          I am a CFI supporter. I bought one clearly by accident and expected it to behave like GM TBI systems and was initially disappointed by the choke-pull off garbage... It's not like they didn't know about IAC valves and such as the 3.8's in 1985 at least had them. Why they gave the 5.0's a choke crap thing is beyond me but still, it wasn't a deal breaker to me. When the carbon build up is cleared out of the EGR, idle & choke mechanism set right, good dizzy & TFI unit in place and wiring in check, they're just peachy.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            I see this was nearly a decade ago, do they still do this? If so, how did you contact them? Pretty fuckin' rad! I want to figure out if my Town Car was special ordered and what it was ordered with. I've done it the backwards way and believe it to be a special order car- I've got warranty cards and stuff with the original owner's name on them. It's a Signature Series so it's got all the jazz that came with those so the only other option that it has which wasn't part of that package is the load leveling suspension. Old man had priorities haha.

Heavy duty suspension... What did that include? Visibility light group? Was that for the lights on the floor and under the dash & in the driver/passenger door? Funny about the auto climate control.. Maybe he just forgot to opt for power windows & locks?
                            I think Ford stopped supplying these so I've heard, but you may try it? Check http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ory-999-Report for how I got mine.

I know Marti Auto Works now has the same info but it'll cost money. $18 for the basic report which give you the same info as above. $46 for the deluxe report which would tell you if it was special ordered or not.

As far as the heavy duty suspension, the only thing I can say for sure the car has the maximum rate springs for the year front and rear according to the service manual and door sticker. It's possible is may have had a different shock as well, but those had been replaced by the time I got it. It has regular control arm bushings and no factory rear sway bar. And the visibility group I am not sure - it doesn't have the lights on the arm rests or illuminated entry. Does have them under the dash. Could have maybe been related to the cornering lights?
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks Ben, I'll give those options a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                                I had the light green version of that. Mine had the jump seats. This one has the vent window option.
                                The hood and header look different because there is not a hood ornament on the header with the S model. I added one to mine. I should not have as it kept getting stolen by some punk kids.
                                Nice looking car, but a mechanical lemon. Weak lower end 351,C-4 . Many one year only parts. Make sure you are getting it cheap.
                                not buying, too old for my taste.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X