A/C Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Troubleshooting

I get about 68F at idle and probably 76F at cruise (~2300rpm) in my 93. My suspicion is orifice tube or compressor not compressing. With the gauges hooked up, I get ~50psi on the low side and 150psi on the high side with ~90F ambient. If I rev it to around 2krpm, low side goes to 40psi and high side gets to ~270psi, but the vent temps go up instead of down. I'm guessing the orifice tube is blown out or otherwise broken.

Anyone with real knowledge of testing these things with any input is welcome to chime in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

It wouldn't hurt to pop open the system and check the orifice tube, also I would check the condenser for debris. A simple power wash there could help too.

Here's a helpful little chart on AC system diag.

http://www.sanden.com/objects/SANDEN...OSIS_CHART.pdf

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

You may have a partial blockage on the high side Sly so it might be a good idea to take the car to an A/C shop so that you won't get busted for causing an opening in the ozone layer to avoid neighbors from ratting you out to the EPA.

Comment

sounds like a plugged condenser and/or a fan problem. If the orifice were clogged, I'd expect very low pressure on the low side. If it was open, you'd have low high side pressure.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I actually think the orifice tube is leaking, flowing excess. High side is low and low side is high. Looked over the chart in the service manual and it says this or compressor low efficiency. If there was a blockage in the system, I would see low lows or high highs or both.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Bonus, I just found that I have 2 orifice tubes for my cars. Pisser is now I need a little oil, a dryer, and refrigerant. I wish I had a recovery machine.

Comment

Vent it, we won't tell anyone. Plus you are in Texas, no one there cares about the environment.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

change the O rings on the liquid line too. Its already going to be apart.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did that the last time I was in there less than 2 years ago. I will check them and change as needed though. I do have a large stash of o-rings.

Comment

Slightly off topic here, but how do you all figure out what size o-rings to use? I'm going to want to replace all of mine on the 90 and have tried guessing on a few other things before with hit and miss results.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You get an o-ring kit for your vehicle and just match them up. Having the plastic o-ring hook tool helps loads as well.

Comment

yeah, they come in an assortment pack. Its not real spendy.

I'll be doing much of this soon on my truck. Compressor shat itself again, stupid shit GM design with seals in the middle of something that tends to flex when mounted. I'm replacing it with a Sanden type that looks more like a Ford compressor, its supposed to eliminate the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X