A9P Mass Air Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A9P Mass Air Swap

So I just started with the mass air swap. Ran into some challenges that I hope to get your opinion on.

I noticed that I have 60 terminals and far fewer holes on the back of the connector. I looked for threads on mass air from my phone and settled on 87GTVic's RR thread where he said that drilling is needed. After an hour of getting the courage needed for this task, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the back of the green cap. Just barely fits the pin, but it hit a wall or something that prevented it from coming through terminal. I think I saw a hole, but it just wouldn't go through. So, I took a tiny drill bit and went through the terminal end out the back of the connector. Then drilled it out to 1/8" from the back. The pin goes through, but I can't get it to lock in. It was getting dark, so I called it quits and wasn't able to get back to it. This is for the VSS+ I hope I just need to play around with the pin until it locks in. For those of you that have done this; how did you accomplish this part of the swap?

I think I took the green cap off (well moved up onto the wires away from the connector) to make things easier. Should help with getting the pin locked in. Also "may" need to remove the pin retainer (red thing in front of mass connector) to get the pin in.

EDIT: My Install
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-12-2017, 04:01 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

remove the green cap, and remove the red plastic piece. I don't remember if there is something else under the green cap but I want to say there is. Rubber seal of some sort comes to mind, but its been a little while since I was into one. The red piece locks the wire catches down, and you're going to need to move a couple of wires. The wires also will not install unless the lock is out.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page74.html
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

THanks guys!!! I now know how to remove the red retainer. Hopefully that will make things easier. I was dreading this part of the engine swap; but it doesn't seem as bad as I imagined. Well, I will see next weekend when I get back into it. I did move the green cover up the back of the connector a little. Wires are quite stiff and curved. Noticed the little plastic dowel pins on the underside of the green cover; fortunate when drilling that it didn't fall into the terminal.

Comment

I think I ruined that terminal (pin 3). I removed the red retainer and looked inside of the terminals. There are plastic tabs that hold the pins in place. Unfortunately when I drilled the terminal, I broke the tab. I don't know what to do at this point. Perhaps super glue the pin in place?

Comment

I'd use plastic welder epoxy that works on ABS. But yeah... glue it in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I ended up using the gel Super Glue which seems to be solid; We'll see when I plug it into the ECM.

Completed the mass air conversion on Saturday. One of the notes buried in the instructions was to swap pins 13>>42; and 14>>12 for the injectors on lopo engines (non-HO). That was the last thing that needed to be done. I will wait to assemble the ECM connector until after I fire up the engine and I am sure that everything is wired correctly.

Comment

You don't need to swap the injector pins unless you are staying with the lopo cam. If you have the HO cam, the injectors will be fired correctly without swapping wires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Oh, okay. Yes, I should have read that more closely; "If installing this harness on a NON-HO engine,...." I will swap those pins back to where they were. Thanks SLY!!! That would have been probably one of many "oh crap" moments.

Why would anybody install this on a lopo with a lopo cam? Is this some sort of racing secret that very few know of?

Comment

I can only imagine for tuning. Most places won't touch speed density computers, but mass air is no problem. Or maybe using a truck engine. No clue really.

Comment

No reason to do it. It will screw up the fuel trim quite significantly. If you need to change the firing order, you do it in software. Moving the pins around will make it unable to trim fuel with the oxygen sensors and you'll have no end of problems. You'd be better off leaving it alone even if the engine firing order didn't match just for that reason. It won't idle as nice but at speed it won't really matter.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Where in the passenger compartment would I find the fuel pump hot (+) wire? I pulled up the floor trim to find a channel holding two bundles of wires. Before I start taking them apart, I am wondering if it's even in one of those bundles? Thanks

Comment

Under the hood, attached to the fuel pump relay. Forget which, but its one of the larger ones. One is constant +, the other is switched to the pump. Easy enough to work out with a test light.

Comment

You would want to find it in the engine bay anyways (if you are tapping into this line for the "fuel pump monitor" input to the ECM) so it all works out.

I too took it right off the fuel pump relay. Really no better place to snatch it from as its all together pretty much to begin with.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So the instructions say look for a PK/BK wire. I take that as being a pink wire with a black stripe. Took your advice Dave and went to the relay, but I can't seem to find the wire; but instead, all I can find is a red wire with a black stripe. There are other pink wires, but with green or yellow stripes. Am I looking in the wrong spot?Click image for larger version

Name:	Moar August 2017 018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1282093Click image for larger version

Name:	Moar August 2017 019.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1282094Click image for larger version

Name:	Moar August 2017 020.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1282095