No announcement yet.

Nail in my tire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe as a stop-gap i'd plug it, but wouldn't drive it around long. Cracked tires are sketchy as fuck. We wrapped a mustang around a handful of poles about 15 years ago because of shit like that. Poles are still there knocked over, i'll snap a picture of it one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      I'd plug it without hesitation.

Pick up a plug kit and over inflate the tire. Pull the nail out and jam the plug in there after reaming the hole out a little bit with the provided rasp. refill tire to normal pressure.
      Don't forget the rubber cement. Slather a bunch on the plug before you put it in.

I would agree with going easy on it until you replace it.

Is there a date code on the tires? Maybe they were sitting on a shelf for a long time.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Rule of thumb. Any puncture from the sidewall to the other side of your thumb is not repairable any area inside that is good to go. Plug that bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I'd plug it without hesitation.

Pick up a plug kit and over inflate the tire. Pull the nail out and jam the plug in there after reaming the hole out a little bit with the provided rasp. refill tire to normal pressure.
          Wouldn't the nail fly out due to the force of the pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not at all. You will need to pull it out.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have never seen a nail fly out. I suspect that the pressure in the tire from hitting a bump at speed would have blown that thing out long ago if it was going to go without a fight. You need to grab them with pliers and pull the suckers out. I have un-screwed screws though.

Don't need much extra air in the tire. Typically after you have done a couple of plugs you don't really need extra air at all. The first one you might try and be gentle, not so much after you get the hang of it. Pull it, ream it, plug it, pull out your tool. Should take maybe 30 seconds or so after you pull the nail. You prepare the plug for insertion prior to pulling the nail.

Some plugs require glue some specifically say use no glue. For instance Blackjack brand. Do they still sell plugs you have to burn first? Have not seen those since I was a kid.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Will the plug work if it's on an angle? I'm starting to debate if I should just buy a new tire...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The plug will work as long as it makes a good seal. With as small of a hole as you have, fix-a-flat (or some other brand of tire sealer) will work fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the liquid goo that you put in through the valve stem, except maybe in cases where you're in the middle of nowhere and can't do a plug right away. While even a plug without the internal patch is only intended to be temporary, at least you can count on it for awhile. I wouldn't trust the liquid goo for nearly as long. And the tire techs don't like dealing with that stuff when they change the tire.

As for the angle, you're going to be reaming the hole bigger for the plug anyway, so that should help straighten the hole at least somewhat (though I doubt it would matter).

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the plugs without rubber cement unless I really had to. I just feel better knowing there's some surface goo that's going to dry up and seal nicely.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Really Alex? Thought you knew better..
                      Yes really. I'm not buying tires every two years because of small cracks between the thread blocks. If it was dry rot, I'd expect the tire shop to jump on that as a means to sell at the very least a pair of tires.
                      You got to judge your own tires when it comes down to it. You are not comfortable with it, don't use them. I am comfortable with it, and will run it.

Alex.

Comment

Coworker ran with a plug in the sidewall of his chrysler 300 for YEARS. No issues. Nothing I would ever do but on the bottom of the tires I would never hesitate.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X