underdrive pulley set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

underdrive pulley set

Any site where they sell under drive pulleys for a 1990 Grand Marquis?

https://www.autospecialties.com/ford.html

It's the crank pulley only. Here's a thread with some actual user experience: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...T-HAVE-for-HOs
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It doesn't do awesome things for AC performance in traffic. Yesterday driving around it was 85 outside, I had 36 degrees at the vents while driving. Stopped that got up to 58 degrees.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dang read that thread, if no power gain , then I'll save my money.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Comment

Its much more useful with an HO engine that will spin some rpm. On the stock engine it won't do much for you.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm I see, well thank you for the info

Comment

If it affects A/C performance i'm out. Too goddamn hot here to compromise that. I'll just add more horsepower and ignore the noise.

Comment

If I can lay my hands on a stock set of pullies and belts, I may do a back to back comparison of AC performance. I don't know how much is the compressor spinning less, and how much is the fan. If its mostly fan, thats easy to fix with an electric aux fan. Its also possible I'm just dealing with the usual R134a sucking in traffic symptoms that would be fixed with a better condenser. I get a solid 40-45 degree drop while driving, but its closer to a 20 degree drop when stopped.

It would also be worth actually determining what the pulley ratios are. I don't honestly know. That would tell me exactly how much slower the compressor is running. Absolute worst case, I could make myself an underdrive that is larger than the ASP one but smaller than the stock one, or make a custom one that makes the AC run close to stock speed while underdriving the other. It would be time consuming but not impossible. If I do it, I'm not making a second one though so you people are on your own

The problem with it is not just noise. At high RPM it spins that water pump so fast that it makes enough pressure in the cooling system to blow the heater core. With a stock motor that shifts at 4200 rpm, its a lot less of a concern but if you add another 1000 to that you've got problems. Restrictors in the line will help but may not entirely fix it. You also risk damaging the other accessories that were never intended to run at screaming speeds.

Comment

Good food for thought gadgo, just bothers me that a fuckin' pulley costs 150 bucks. I got a whole set of underdrive pullies with an SFI-approved balancer for my '98 for the same price. Stupid boxes...

Comment

I was planning on getting new pulleys for my box so I considered underdrives but I think I'll just stick with stock new pulleys. My car shift at 4500 when I punch it on 1st and 3rd gear.

Comment

Supply and demand. One place makes it, and how few people actually own one? Wouldn't half surprise me if they either make them to order or do maybe 10 at a shot when they need to. If you had the CNC program it wouldn't be a hard part to knock out a short run of. Its a single application thing too, the one for your 98 probably also works on Mustangs and other vehicles with the 4.6.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

The problem with it is not just noise. At high RPM it spins that water pump so fast that it makes enough pressure in the cooling system to blow the heater core. With a stock motor that shifts at 4200 rpm, its a lot less of a concern but if you add another 1000 to that you've got problems. Restrictors in the line will help but may not entirely fix it. You also risk damaging the other accessories that were never intended to run at screaming speeds.
                        Thain, are you saying that the underdrive pully will make the water pump spin even faster? I am debating on purchasing one of these underdrives but the belt search (yes, I know you have supplied belt numbers and that it should help) and already having a couple things go on this motors life kinda deter me from trying things that will put even more strain on her.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

no, it spins the water pump and AC compressor slower. THe stock pulley makes the water pump spin like mad, especially at high rpm.

Somewhere along the way I changed my AC belt to a shorter one. If you need it I'll get the numbers for you. The one I was using initially was a bit too long and after some time it stretched enough that the sides would hit, and it started jumping off the AC compressor.

Comment

Ill listen to anything info you may give. Last I read youoriginally went with: underdrive pully belts 48 1/2" (5060485) on the alternator side, and a 53 3/4" (5060538) on the AC side

prefer 49-49 1/2" on ac side

I think this was what you wrote ages back.

I think I will pick one up now.....

I have an aftermarket tensioner that may mess with belt size comparisons....
                            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Original:

New one:

To be honest though there is quite a but of throw on the tensioner available so it may be a non issue.
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-22-2017, 07:40 PM.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X