PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

I love that Fairlane, I have wanted a 68 ish wagon for years.

10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

The patina on your "wood" panels is cool. I have wanted to spray some dull clear mixed with a little grey to make The MegaMerc's "weathered" panels look like driftwood. Don't know how the tape would react too paint tho...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

all the CFI are belong to me

I can hardly contain myself right now, I'm absolutely giddy about this:

2020-08-24 @ 76,983km
    Front end aligned at a an old-school shop that knows their stuff.
    Tires purchased from Canadian Tire and mounted on my police steelies which have been epoxy-coated, and have aluminum dog dish caps.

225/70R15 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A at a very economical $108 Canadian each.

The view as I walked out of the tire place...

Absolutely stunning. This is the exact image I had in mind for this car. It's the exact amount of rake I wanted, the exact ride height, the exact wheels and the exact tires.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

Bonus points for the shop for putting the weights on the back side!

Looks good.

Aren't Wranglers truck tires? Fronts look a bit "meaty."

+2 for weights on the back side, kills me when shops don't do that. I dig the steelies with dog dish hub caps as well. It's really coming together. So is the van, it runs, drives AND stops! Fine tuning is what's going to kill it..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Fronts and rears are identical, wagons just have bigger rear wheel wells and that combined with the narrower rear track on pre-90, plus the modestly wider track in the front due to the front end swap means any tire looks a little smaller back there. With the old tires I was considering spacers for the rear but I no longer think that's needed, considering the depth of the tire relative to the bottom of the wheel arches.

These are P tires, as in passenger as in usually car/small SUV. The Wrangler tire line often is on trucks or SUVs though. I specifically wanted the cheapest, major brand, white letter tire that I could buy, and this absolutely satisfied those requirements. I'm also glad I went up to the 225/70 instead of stock-correct 215/70 as I think they would have looked a little skinny. Between getting the wheels blasted (I don't feel he did a good job at this) and coated (I feel he did a good job at this, but I had to bring them back for some fixes after the first time) and the tires, and the wheel purchase from the junkyard, I believe I'm around $1200 Canadian into the wheel and tire package.

I hadn't even thought to ask about the weights going on the back, but I'm glad the tech did it that way. Didn't even look to see if they're rim weights or sticky weights. Newly coated perfectly clean wheels would take sticky weights well, so maybe that's what he used.

The car rides and drives fantastic now that it's aligned properly and is on good rubber. The speed-related vibration I was chasing seems to have been cured which confirms a tire was at fault. Steering is pretty much perfectly on-centre, box does have a small amount of the usual slop, but the rag joint is like new.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-25-2020 at 11:02 AM.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards

The white letters look good man. Glad the vibration thing is no longer an issue.

Looks great, love the RWLs.

Looking good to me.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Test-fitted one of my trailer hitches on this. Have found that nobody is selling a 2" receiver for the wagons, but a few brands do for the sedans. It does appear the frame is different enough to make a difference at the very back, but there will be a way to mount it up...it just can't use holes that pre-exist on the sedans because they don't exist on the wagon. More drilling, not the end of the world.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-27-2020 at 12:06 AM.

I pulled a wagon hitch from the junkyard for my car. I believe it came with some sort of wedge shaped spacers for the forward? Mounting positions. I did not utilize them for the installation of the hitch onto my coupe.

Again excellent photos.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Nice pics dude. You could be a freelance photographer. Need to find me an abandoned road like that for similar angles. I think it's time to put a for sale sign on my Lincoln.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

The wagon looks good. Also, I was there the day those wheels were acquired.

Nice pics dude. You could be a freelance photographer. Need to find me an abandoned road like that for similar angles. I think it's time to put a for sale sign on my Lincoln.
    Park it by that old middle-of-nowhere abandoned corner store by my parents' place. Also, I know of an old abandoned one room school house not far off the route we take up there. Lots of potential up that way for picture backgrounds.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Those will make great shots. I do have some photos from when we road tripped it several times that'll make for good pics as well. I could just use those, they're several years old but it's not like the car has changed.

Thanks folks

I really am completely obsessed with how this looks. I love when I have a vision for something and can make reality match what was in my head. I'm a super visual thinker...all my ideas are like photos, apparently that isn't the case for everyone, but anyway when you think the way I do it's super rewarding to see the result pan out like this. I realize they're just steel wheels and pretty standard tires but I'm thrilled with it.

The hitch that came on the car was the little baby receiver, and also hopelessly rusted, but it did fit without any spacers. However, the direct-fit-for-a-wagon hitches only exist in the little receiver size, so some sort of spacers need to be fabbed up to make the sedan hitches work. No reason it can't be done, just needs to be done. Some sort of triangular wedge thing will need to be found as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Thanks folks

I really am completely obsessed with how this looks. I love when I have a vision for something and can make reality match what was in my head. I'm a super visual thinker...all my ideas are like photos, apparently that isn't the case for everyone, but anyway when you think the way I do it's super rewarding to see the result pan out like this. I realize they're just steel wheels and pretty standard tires but I'm thrilled with it.

The hitch that came on the car was the little baby receiver, and also hopelessly rusted, but it did fit without any spacers. However, the direct-fit-for-a-wagon hitches only exist in the little receiver size, so some sort of spacers need to be fabbed up to make the sedan hitches work. No reason it can't be done, just needs to be done. Some sort of triangular wedge thing will need to be found as described above.
    Since I installed 2 sedan hitches on the Mad Marquis and the Red Velvet Cake, I may have those pieces left over. I'll try to remember to check my washers box. I know I have leftovers of the rectangular "inside the frame" bolt trap washers.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I installed a hitch I got from Nick that came off an Aero, IIRC.

I used a Curt brand install kit for the ‘92+ cars and it fit fine. Just have to drill two holes in the frame towards the bumper, but I had to do the same thing when I also installed one on my ‘97. They include these little shims for the rearward mounting holes to make everything level.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Nope... apparently I used them for something. I kept the slight forward tilt on mine since it was level with the trailer attached after the car squatted.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

This is it mocked up, with the rear bolt in the existing hole in the frame which is ever-so-slightly too far back. I'd be fine with mounting it there, but the existing holes are not spaced enough to use them to mount it (can only bolt one side or the other, but not both), so it will get kicked forward a bit for new holes spaced correctly.

I think even a non-triangular 1-5/8 x 1-5/8 x 7/8" block would suffice as a spacer (after measuring it to get those figures), which ignores the fact that it's fitting in a triangular space, but I think it's close enough that it would all smoosh together properly. Maybe. I would prefer a triangular wedge that better filled the space but that's not as easy to come by.

Regardless, maybe the U-Haul hitch install place will have some little chunks they can sell for negligible cost. Otherwise I can find some scraps somewhere.

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast