PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

all the CFI are belong to me

Put in some light highway driving today, cruise is working as it should. Happy about that.

Not happy about how far off I managed to make the wheel. I seem to have corrected it though. Loosen the nut a couple turns, firmly turn the wheel against the column lock, and find there is actually significant rotation available despite it seeming like there shouldn't be. It had been at the extreme right end of the available rotation, and I cranked it back to the extreme left, which seems to have brought the wheel back to centre again.

Out of an abundance of caution I'm going to check if the tie rod ends seem to have adjusted themselves (if alignment shop didn't tighten the sleeves enough, basically), but it feels like it's back to how it was. I was enjoying having a properly set up steering wheel so it was super upsetting (even if that seems like an overreaction) when I found it no longer that way.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The wheel in the Conti is a bit off so I understand about it being annoying.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

all the CFI are belong to me

Worked on a few things today:

Wire brushed the rough areas of the passenger rear quarter (spare tire area) to knock loose all the rust chunks. Patched from the inside with some galvanized sheet steel I had around, with windshield urethane and rivets. High tech repair. Somehow didn't think to take a pic of the result, but it's not actually horrible. Brushed, rust primer, primer sealer, then the urethaned and riveted panel on top.

Put a spare where it belongs, along with other helpful items. Discovered that a piece of metal I have scrapped is probably the correct bolt thing to hold the spare to the jack...kind of annoyed about that.

Swapped the cruise servo so the 85 original is back in this car. It is verified to work now too. Nice tip about the cable. Cruise is a little lazy in this car which I am sure is a vacuum symptom but can't be bothered right now. It holds speed fine, but the initial engagement has lag time that my others don't seem to have.

Found the other cruise module pigtail. Swapped the connector so now the wires stay in reliably. Of course I forgot to note the part number from the good one...maybe I can get a pic of it already installed at a later time.

Fixed the fuel door popper. Issue was the button. Had to file some corrosion and crap off the contacts and this got it to work.

Came up with a battery hold-down solution. The metal which normally runs under the battery tray and forms the connecting point for the hold-down J-hook is completely gone, as it was rusty junk. I reinforced the plastic with some sheet metal and now the J-hook grabs onto that. Took this opportunity to install a group 65 battery, as I had previously altered the tray to accept one, and have found one of my group 65 hold-downs.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

same issue with the door release on the Conti. Non-sealed button, can't imagine why that would ever get crusty inside. On the plus side it makes it easy to take apart and fix. I gave the contacts a light wipe of spark plug grease when I put it back together. Figure that might help fight off future moisture / corrosion.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

That was the way my battery tray was in the '86 CV. I ended up bolting up a JEGS universal battery tray in its place. I was even able to use the stock bracket to hold the battery tray.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334