kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh hey, a thread.

Last night, I was a party to some Woodward cruising in a sort of mismatched group of cars: C6 Z06, Suzuki Alto Works, alternately my 84 Town Car or a Volvo 240 wagon, and a Family Truckster replica.

I was told we'd be going back today and there was also a likelihood that the Family Truckster would make another appearance, so I decided to wake up my wagon and bring that. The car is in driveable condition but does have a short to-do list, some of which isn't really minor/low impact.

Went through a basic health check:
    • Engine oil full and healthy looking. Is about 1000km over on the change interval, but as I noted in a recent reply above, leaks had me replace a significant amount, and it's also synthetic, so I'm just going to keep an eye on it and run it for a while.
    • Coolant is nearly full and healthy looking. I do believe this leaks from a water pump bolt and was prepared to quickly pull it out, put sealant on it then slap it back in, but I couldn't identify for sure which it was, and the coolant level was full enough to make that a messy proposition.
    • ATF checked when not running and cold: looks great, and eyeballs to about the right place on the stick (very high) for when engine is not running. Will recheck hot at some point. The o-rings at the radiator trans cooler fittings leak enough to make a mess but not lose a lot of volume of fluid.
    • Brake pedal feels about right, tires look great, all body electrics working properly. I currently have one good Group 65 battery, which has been in the Lincoln (though it originated in this car), so I took that back for this car.
    • I put a new air filter in it, as the old one was looking kinda gross.

It started effortlessly. Took it for a spin and found no issues. Fluid levels should be monitored but otherwise the car is back in the rotation for a while I think. Will try to fix a few things before RADwood/Concours d'Lemons but I wouldn't feel awful just rolling in with it as it is now.

Some months ago, I picked up a 1982 upper-trim LTD grille. I put that on the wagon. I like aspects of both grilles and can't really pick which one I prefer. The Mercury bumper doesn't match but it seems like the earlier grille maybe works better with it.

Honourary mention, the Greenlight 1:18 model:

...anyway. We didn't end up going to Woodward tonight, but this car is now mobile again, and the Lincoln may be on a little hiatus.

I did try to get eyes on the problem with the fuel filler neck. When the tank is half full or more, right turns will cause a smell of fuel in and around the car, and looking in the fuel door will reveal wetness below the cap. The seal on the cap looks good, so I figured maybe a rust pinhole on the filler neck. I pulled the filler neck out as far as is possible without loosening the tank straps, but found no evidence of a hole, only where the fuel has washed away the undercoating I had put on it before. It sure looks like it has to be the fuel cap allowing the leak to happen.

I went through my stash of stuff and found a different cap, albeit not any better looking, and we'll try that for a bit. I'll see about getting a new one.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I like da Ford grille with the chrome split in the center.

By the way, would you happen to have a nice grommet for the coolant overflow tank? The one I need is for the coolant, I guess I added some to my car and then never put it back on. Can't find it now and it looks silly without one. Figure when we do the meet up we can swap cash for parts.

That other wagon with it's weird wood trim- It's like someone got crazy with the JC Whitney catalog.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I like da Ford grille with the chrome split in the center.

By the way, would you happen to have a nice grommet for the coolant overflow tank? The one I need is for the coolant, I guess I added some to my car and then never put it back on. Can't find it now and it looks silly without one. Figure when we do the meet up we can swap cash for parts.

That other wagon with it's weird wood trim- It's like someone got crazy with the JC Whitney catalog.
        I think the 82 (brighter) grille is growing on me as the better one as well.

I don't have one of the plugs for the overflow tank. I never bother with the stupid overflow tank on these, it's impossible to keep coolant in these engines designed by absolute morons. I fill the rad and call it good, then repeat a while later.

Are you somehow unfamiliar with the Family Truckster? The wagon pictured is a clone of a very famous movie car. The movie car in question was designed by George Barris, an expert in the field. It is a caricature of the traditional American family car. https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-pr...ily-truckster/

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

+1, thought everyone over 30 knew what The Family Truckster is. That emoji reaction is actually kind of the point of it.
          Off topic, I happen to have at least 3 overflow/washer tanks. Not sure if any of them live at my place but I can certainly part with a grommet/plug thing if I remember. You can have a whole tank, but not likely to be in as good of shape as what you have, Derek.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Truckster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1290614
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

https://youtu.be/4OBN9Qilu8Y

Comment

82 grille is where it's at!
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I like how to 82 grille looks. Fits better with what you have going on.

Any more pictures of the family truckster? I understand you did not get to see it again the next day..maybe you has some more from the first showing?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Hmm, I've never seen that movie. Was never really a fan of Chevrolet Chase. I didn't mind him in Nothing But Trouble or Planes, Trains and Automobiles though. Definitely an ugly f'n car.

@ Vic- Yes, please. Only need the grommet thing. And Kishy is right, can't seem to keep coolant in the damn thing. But usually I fill top it off once a season and then it's good. Overflow tank allows me to keep an eye on it without having to pop the cap off. (Although usually I do anyway because I'm OCD..)

Comment

Chase in PT&A? I believe it was Steve Martin and John Candy but I have no recollection of Chase in it. More like "Caddyshack" or something else.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Candy and Martin in T,P,&A.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I was a freshman in college I heard Martin Sheen was speaking on campus. And I thought to myself, "Martin Sheen? I love the Three Amigos."

Turns out I was thinking of Martin Short.
                          1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Ah, yes it was Steve Martin. I mix up those two like I mix up 80's hair bands when trying to guess which one is on the radio. I usually mix up Scorpions/Motley Crue/Def Leopard/Pantera/Mega Deth. Why? Well, as Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman, "Because it isn't important for me to get it right."

Comment

I'd say its because they're all terrible and not worth the mental bandwidth to be able to identify.

Comment

LoL, that works too.

Comment

Working...
                                X