PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

all the CFI are belong to me

With the pandemic being what it is, my usual yearly vacation to Pelee Island with my boyfriend and mother didn't happen in May. The island is a small, relatively isolated community, and the ferry is government-run, so it was to everyone's advantage to just not even try at that time. We were, however, able to pull it off for the past week of the 4th through today, and it was a great week weather-wise. Pelee Island is the southernmost inhabited part of Canada, has its own micro-climate and the past week was almost summerlike.

This also happens to be where I dragged the wagon home from 3 years ago, so it was kind of neat to bring the car back now that it's fully up and running*.
    *: a thorough go-through of engine management is still required

Some pics:

Back at the house I collected it from. As Americans are not currently allowed in Canada, the American property owners were not present.

Found this one again...it's been around the island for a long time.

The lower shock bolts on the passenger side are a problem and I will be addressing them before the weekend is over. At first I thought the (admittedly shit quality) hardware I used had stripped, but the spot welded nut is no longer welded and the bolt has wiggled its way most of the way out. I have some U-nuts to solve this. It's Thanksgiving on Monday, so the long weekend is a nice bonus on top of the last week off.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

I'll say it again. You sure have a knack for taking photos.

I did a double take with the first Crown Victoria photo. At first glance I thought he was sporting a unique (and extra shiny) roof top cargo carrier.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

It would seem you favor the wagon for road tripping. Can’t say I blame you. They are made for it.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

those lower shock mounts are not very good. Mine stripped out a long time ago. I have some crappy speed nuts in there holding it together but at some point in the future I really should come up with a better fix. I have a rivet nut installer tool at work, possibly that is the solution. My other thought was drop the control arm and weld nuts inside, but I really don't feel like dealing with the springs again.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    those lower shock mounts are not very good. Mine stripped out a long time ago. I have some crappy speed nuts in there holding it together but at some point in the future I really should come up with a better fix. I have a rivet nut installer tool at work, possibly that is the solution. My other thought was drop the control arm and weld nuts inside, but I really don't feel like dealing with the springs again.
    I hear you on that. Same boat here. Want to do it the right way but those springs........
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Years ago I bought heavy duty repair clips from NAPA auto parts. I tried to do a search for them, but came up with nothing. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

all the CFI are belong to me

Thank you, re: decent photos. I like to think I'm not half awful at it. Some of those were taken with my work-issued Pixel 4, some were taken with my personal Samsung A50. I think I like the Pixel better, in most respects. The camera is one thing that the phone is known for (it has a very good camera), so that's part of it.

Back when I started driving the wagon for the year, had to be around March, I had actually forgotten I had the car. I was on the phone with a friend talking about the impending doom of mechanical work needed on things before I could drive them, and he just threw in, "what about the wagon?", to which I replied something to the effect of, "oh right, the WAGON!"

I put a lot of work into this thing and I happen to like it a lot, so I'm putting every bit of mileage onto it that I can. The head-turning is really fun. A couple guys in a lowered and healthy sounding NA Miata were both absolutely captivated by it earlier...it speaks to "car guys" and "normal people" alike. I get a lot of people asking what year it is, saying their family had one a long time ago.

Anyway...rivnuts/threaded inserts. After reading that above, I thought those would be the answer, since I have the tool and a bunch of them. I gave them a shot and failed miserably, for two reasons:
    1. I drilled the holes too big, but even if I hadn't...
    2. The Chinesium rivnut installer bent in a variety of places which have rendered it useless. I'm at least 60% sure it wasn't user error.

So I turned to the original plan: U-nuts and grade 8 bolts in M8-1.25. I actually bought them before I put the KYBs in a week ago, but because the prior solution (poorly welded-in nuts) was still working, I left it alone.

Everything's back together and feels (and sounds) much better than it did over the last few days. I did notice something I thought I was seeing when I installed the sway bar links way-back-when, which is that the threaded part is not long enough/the length of the spacer tube in the middle is not long enough, causing it to be impossible to tighten the links enough. The passenger side one just sort of wobbles around in there. It has tension on it, but not a lot. Since it's still basically as-new my solution will probably be to throw a bunch of washers at it, but washers of appropriate size are fairly expensive, so we'll see. I know the holes like to egg out but I've got time to think about it.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

closeness to the edge was my concern with the rivnuts. Don't want to drill through and find there isn't enough material for it to actually work. I have a slightly better tool to install them, but you do have to be careful with the adjustment otherwise things go badly. I over-compressed one and it broke the threads on the puller tool. The handle assembly was fine, just had to get another $15 threaded bit.

or maybe I'll just drill it out slightly and put 5/16 hardware in. I think I have 1/4" in there now.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536