No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You came to Detroit and didn't pay me? Pssh.

Looks better than it did, ride height wise. I too, hate the lower rear truck thing look. I've heard that is called the Nashville squat or something. Looks stupid to me, always has. There is nothing more hoopty than a higher front than rear.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

the ride height mesurements are in the factory manual somewhere towards the back. I forget the measurement point, possibly off the bottom of the bumper bracket, but that will tell you if Ford thinks its too low or not. The front does look low, but I'm not entirely sure I think the back end looks high enough either.

ass dragging is dumb unless the thing is loaded. That was a thing in the 50s before the ass end had to be pointed way up like in the 70s. I like level or slightly tail-up.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still here...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
          I have also wondered if it might be an extremely early St Thomas car, being built in Feb 85. Maybe something along the lines of a "production prototype" demonstrating STAP performance to Ford execs...is that too far fetched?

If anyone happens to know what the first VIN issued at STAP was, that would be super handy. I bet Marti's data could provide that, but since everything needs a VIN to be checked against, I'm not sure they can look at it backwards like that.
          Ford started building Panthers at St. Thomas in October 1983. There was a little over a year and a half of production overlap between there and St. Louis. (If you're curious, my car was built in January '85 at St. Thomas.)
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria
          1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
          1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by Stocker View Post
            Ford started building Panthers at St. Thomas in October 1983. There was a little over a year and a half of production overlap between there and St. Louis. (If you're curious, my car was built in January '85 at St. Thomas.)
            This goes contrary to all information I've seen to this point, which is that model year 85 were the first cars built in St. Thomas, and that model year 85 is the only year where cars were built in both plants in parallel, and not for the entire model year.

Not saying you're wrong, because I dunno, but I haven't seen that anywhere before.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

This came out of Ward's Automotive Yearbook. According to those books, '83 Ford production was added at the Mercury plant in St. Louis, and then when Oakville switched over to the Tempo the following year, its Panther production was moved to St. Thomas (presumably because the end of the Fairmont opened up a production line). It did say that February '85 is when St. Thomas became the sole source for fullsize Fords and Mercurys when St. Louis started retooling.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria
              1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
              1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

I wonder now when my '85 LTD was built. It was not built in St. Thomas.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just to add fuel to the fire my old 85 was built in September of 84 and was built in St. Louis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was moving cars yesterday and in doing so, found that the driveway stain I've historically attributed to the Lincoln's previous power steering pump had become much, much larger. Like, the size of a Panther hood. The car sitting in that spot now was the wagon, and the new fluid was red.

So, put the wagon up, got under, found that the O-ring for the retrofit trans drain plug had squeezed out of position and that's where the mass quantity of fluid was coming from. Easy.

Drained it into a bottle, dug around the garage for a copper washer (think brake system, but smaller), and solved that problem. Same fluid that came out went right back in, since it's new anyway.

I will note that the fluid has darkened a fair bit, but that could easily just be new fluid washing old out of all the nooks and crannies. Regardless, it shifts absolutely fantastic, so...whatever happens, happens.

Also, the rear main leaks...a lot.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

self undercoating.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        self undercoating.
                        self preservation.
                        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Self oiling.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Self changing.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I had what I thought was a rear main leak once. Turned out the flex plate bolts need thread sealer and I hadn't put any on. I redid the seal anyway, but when I pulled the first flex plate bolt it was like I pulled a drain plug for a second.

If you need to get at the rear main and want to go the route of removing the trans, I've got a cheap trans jack if you have no other option. I also have the special tool to install the seal and repair sleeve if you choose to install a sleeve. The special tool was cheap enough for me, basically a PVC cap with a special ridge for the sleeve.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Last one of those drain plugs I installed, I brazed in. I didn't care for the plastic sealing washers so its now permanently a part of the pan, sealed forever with brass rod. The inner drain plug has a copper washer. My local hardware store has a good assortment of copper seal washers in metric and standard.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X