No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They usually break with enough to grab onto, at least all the ones I broke had enough left to grab onto.
    On mine I used a propane torch since that's all I had on hand. Vicegrips or smack a 6ish mm socket on along with the propane torch is all it took in my case. Dad has those easy out sockets but I don't think his set had a small enough socket.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      Those holes that the front two lower intake bolt/studs bolt into are through holes. I broke one of them on one engine and both on another engine. Found some really clean ones at the JY (from non through holes) and put some high-temp antiseize on them. I wasn't terribly worried about how the antiseize would affect torque reading, and no issues to report a year later.
      Yeah, the fact they go through the coolant passages really doesn't help with anything. My 91, broke none. 83, broke none. 84, broke one, and I'm fairly sure it was this same one (might have been the other side). Now this, broke one. I'm replacing it with a normal bolt. The bracket that goes on the stud on a CFI car is the ignition coil, and it's not the only mounting point, so it isn't essential that it can attach there.

I anti-seize every fastener that I touch, typically, but special attention is given to the water pump and intake.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      enough head was sticking up to use that ez out grabber contraption thing? Any heat persuasion before that?
      Yup, just enough, and no heat needed although I was prepared to apply it. There was a second thinned out weak spot on the bolt which would have been the next breaking point, and if it had let go there, I'd have needed to dry to get it out using an spiral flute extractor thing which would be no fun given the size of the fastener.

---

Last night into today, watched Stranger Things season 3. Excellent as I've come to expect.

Unrelated side note: if you do, or don't but you can eat yogurt, peach Activia is absolutely phenomenal. Better than candy. All Activia is great for how much actual fruit chunks they put in but the peach is just really something.

Today, picked up fasteners required to proceed with the engine stuff.

Chased all threads for intake, timing cover and water pump with a tap. This included boring out the coolant mucky grossness from the two holes used for a cast iron pump, as the aluminum pump did not make use of them.

Put a new seal in the timing cover, coated the cover gasket and oil pan pieces with Permatex Ultra Black RTV, put that on. Coated the water pump gaskets in Permatex water pump and thermostat RTV, put that on. Thoroughly wire brushed all the water pump fasteners and I feel confident they've got life left in them.

Replaced the main ground cable and the starter positive cable. Ran a new 16ga wire along with the new cable so it is sort of "pre-wired" for a mini starter if I decide to go that route, and I certainly will, it's just a matter of when.

Intake gaskets are not wanting to come off of the head mating surfaces. Really really stuck on there. I will win, of course, just going to take some doing.

Hosed off, brake cleanered, and scrubbed the intake with a wire brush. It's starting to resemble something that belongs on a car. Also, chased the t-stat bolt holes with a tap, and got new slightly shorter bolts for it to make the reassembly less awful, hopefully, although if I'm smart I'll put the t-stat on before I reinstall the intake.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I could've sworn that when I was younger, people only lit their flash & bang stuff on the 4th and 5th to burn off the excess. Now it seems they do it from June 30th through July 10th. I heard more last night.

We just started Stranger Things. I liked it, despite not having an "R" rating or better. So stuff could be grittier than it is but still entertaining. Hoping to watch more of that tonight.

Yogurt with fruit chunks. Yuck. Never been a fan of candy. Baked goods, that's where it's at.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Fireworks do nothing for me. Never have. It always felt like I needed to seem like I was enjoying myself merely for the benefit of the other people who I felt like were feeling the same way and similarly did not enjoy it but felt they needed to display that they did lol.

Yogurt without fruit is like...just...why? What's even the point?

---

Tonight, decided to do the bare minimum to make progress but not actually do much.

Cleaned the thermostat housing mating surfaces, RTV'd a gasket, and put a new thermostat in. The intake is still off the engine so this is the right time to do it. Between the new bolts and the tap-chased threads, the bolts went in nicely.

Went around the water pump tightening everything which had been left just kinda hand tight while the RTV set in place. One of the cast-iron-only holes (driver side) stripped out. The threads were pretty badly corroded so I guess I'm not surprised. Pulled bolt out, RTV'd the end of it, and put the bolt back in, untight as it may be. We'll see if that contributes any positive value to the sealing. The alternative I'm considering is to pull the bolt out and stuff the entire bolt hole with RTV, all the way through. There needs to be something in that void to resist the gasket blowing out into it.

I need to replenish my supply of some hoses. RockAuto...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
            Yogurt without fruit is like...just...why? What's even the point?
            Amen!

Did you end up painting the water pump? I remember the cast iron ones tend to get the surface rust look quick. Not really an issue unless you care about the clean shine-y look though.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Fireworks do nothing for me. Never have. It always felt like I needed to seem like I was enjoying myself merely for the benefit of the other people who I felt like were feeling the same way and similarly did not enjoy it but felt they needed to display that they did lol...
              It's the peacock effect I guess. They don't do anything for me any more either. I tend to just think they're obnoxious and the event is an excuse to be as much. Although when I was younger I loved smoke bombs and M-80's.

...Yogurt without fruit is like...just...why? What's even the point?...
              That's just like, your opinion, maan.
              It's the texture I can't stand. I used to love the lemon fruit pies from Hostess when I was a kid. Not necessarily because I liked the lemon flavor over the other flavors, just that there were no fruit bits inside like with the cherry ones. I liked the cherry ones too, I just always picked the cherries out of the pies and tried to offer them to someone else as I ate the thing.

...Went around the water pump tightening everything which had been left just kinda hand tight while the RTV set in place. One of the cast-iron-only holes (driver side) stripped out. The threads were pretty badly corroded so I guess I'm not surprised. Pulled bolt out, RTV'd the end of it, and put the bolt back in, untight as it may be. We'll see if that contributes any positive value to the sealing. The alternative I'm considering is to pull the bolt out and stuff the entire bolt hole with RTV, all the way through. There needs to be something in that void to resist the gasket blowing out into it.

I need to replenish my supply of some hoses. RockAuto...
              Gah, I hate that feeling. That is why I try to do much of that stuff by hand and with a ratchet smaller than what would be convenient. I was changing the thermostat out in Ashley's new C1500 a few weeks ago. Torque spec for the housing was 15 or 25ftlbs if I remember right. Well, I went and got my torque wrench all configured but it didn't feel right so I just did it by hand to avoid stripping out the aluminum threads. No leaks.. yet.

Comment

I just don't like peach. My usual yogurt consumption is in smoothie form. Yogurt, a little milk, and a bunch of whatever fruit I have on hand. Frozen fruit is perfect for this, kinda makes it like drinking a fruit-flavored milk shake. Less fattening since I use nonfat yogurt, and fruit is good for you anyway. Some of the berry mixes are a little too tart, but mixing in some applesauce will sweeten it right up.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                  Amen!

Did you end up painting the water pump? I remember the cast iron ones tend to get the surface rust look quick. Not really an issue unless you care about the clean shine-y look though.
                  I did not. I was tempted to, but for some reason settled on not doing it, probably because it was packed in oil like a brake rotor and cleaning it adequately for the paint to not be a waste would be annoying. So I'll live with a rusty water pump.

Plus, there's that whole bit about the uncertainty of how long this car will even exist. Time will tell I guess.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Gah, I hate that feeling. That is why I try to do much of that stuff by hand and with a ratchet smaller than what would be convenient. I was changing the thermostat out in Ashley's new C1500 a few weeks ago. Torque spec for the housing was 15 or 25ftlbs if I remember right. Well, I went and got my torque wrench all configured but it didn't feel right so I just did it by hand to avoid stripping out the aluminum threads. No leaks.. yet.
                  That's the thing...I was turning the socket by hand and it stripped out. I couldn't have been gentler if I tried. So that will be difficult to fix correctly; bolt diameter is limited by the pump and proximity to water passages (can't drill the hole bigger, it's a leak risk). A new thread insert would be the way to go. If I have sealing issues I will pursue that. Got too much into it in RTV to waste by pulling it apart again now, best to run it and see what happens I think.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  I just don't like peach. My usual yogurt consumption is in smoothie form. Yogurt, a little milk, and a bunch of whatever fruit I have on hand. Frozen fruit is perfect for this, kinda makes it like drinking a fruit-flavored milk shake. Less fattening since I use nonfat yogurt, and fruit is good for you anyway. Some of the berry mixes are a little too tart, but mixing in some applesauce will sweeten it right up.
                  Funny...I used points from my credit card to get a blender specifically because I love smoothies but hate paying for them. It's been sitting in my cupboard for about 4 years, I'd guess, and I haven't made a single smoothie. But on the bright side, maybe, it stopped me from buying them elsewhere because "I could make that at home for cheaper".

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

my blender came from a thrift store. Its a goldenrod 1970s Waring that I think would puree rocks
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSPsWA5kaY

I don't understand why the car have no floor?!

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Looks like you found the rear ventilation fix wagon owners have been looking for.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

...That's the thing...I was turning the socket by hand and it stripped out. I couldn't have been gentler if I tried. So that will be difficult to fix correctly; bolt diameter is limited by the pump and proximity to water passages (can't drill the hole bigger, it's a leak risk). A new thread insert would be the way to go. If I have sealing issues I will pursue that. Got too much into it in RTV to waste by pulling it apart again now, best to run it and see what happens I think...
                          Ah. Wouldn't a helicoil thingy kinda fix that? (That's probably what you meant by "thread insert.") Something I'm too inadept, lazy and ignorant to be bothered with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            Looks like you found the rear ventilation fix wagon owners have been looking for.
                            I'm sure it would help a great deal, actually...and if it weren't for the fact that I need both a concealed trunk and want the rear seats usable, I might have tried to find a way to keep it open lol.

The argument can easily be made that the interior is not open to the outside if the rear cargo floor is closed, but again, trunk value. So the new trunk pan will go in.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Ah. Wouldn't a helicoil thingy kinda fix that? (That's probably what you meant by "thread insert.") Something I'm too inadept, lazy and ignorant to be bothered with.
                            That is correct, yes. Kleenex vs facial tissue. Helicoil is a brand name; I would almost certainly not be using a brand name insert.

The benefit of doing it that way is the original fastener size is retained. Drill the hole out bigger, put the insert in, and now the original fastener can be threaded in. In this case, that's necessary because the hole through the water pump can't be made bigger.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

How to you plan to patch on the floor? Butt welding is a good option if you can get things lined up with the patch. I’ve had good luck in a similar situation by laying the new panel over the current remaining floor, temp attachment with screws, cut both layers along one edge, tack weld the new perfectly matched edge, and continue to another edge.

I’ve also did a flange type thing with a special pliers and weld. Which was easy, and with seam sealer made a decent repair. There really isn’t a way for moisture to get in there if you seal both sides. I prefer butt welding though.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I was in the same situation as yours. Luckily I found a wagon in the junk yard with a good pan.

If it gets water in there the carpet will hold it in and rust it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagon pan 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1285561

Comment

Working...
                                X