PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

all the CFI are belong to me

Installed more cheap LEDs from China via AliExpress...introducing the "1pcs w5w Led Panel Dome Reading Map Lamp COB Car Interior Lighting Auto Bulb Festoon 31mm 36mm 39mm 41mm T10 168 194 Adapter" in "DF-48LED" form: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001950133703.html

Put these in both dome lights as I was not really satisfied with the solutions I had in them before. Looking directly at them, they are a little colder than I'd prefer, but the lenses are correcting that sufficiently. I might try to get my hands on one of the LMC clear covers for the front dome light, not decided yet.

No photos showing performance because it didn't really occur to me that that is more useful, but I'm happy with them so far.

I bought a handful of these to use for various projects so more will appear elsewhere over time.

Today there was a small "cars n coffee", but sort of minus the coffee...which is fine as I don't drink it, but odd to call it that. Anyway, mostly people I'm previously acquainted with pre-pandemic. Didn't lick anyone. Car "broke some necks" which is always fun. Only grabbed this pic after people started leaving. I like this angle on this car.

Current driver: 85 CS
    Currently owned, parked: 83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM POTM 12/2017
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC
    Junkyards

I believe you have a favorite Box...
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Hows the overall light output from that "festoon" LED ? Looking for something that will give more in the front light, and the ones that are more or less bulb-shaped just don't do much. Also what sort of color temp is that? Big fan of warm white bulbs, they look like conventional lamps

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I believe you have a favorite Box...
    Well...kinda sorta maybe. I think the "ratty resiliency" of this one just has a tendency to grow on people. Everyone loves this car and while it took me longer than most to love it, I definitely do.

That was kind of how I came to like the Lincoln as much as I did/do. That car is rough, but all its bits and pieces work, and I had done things to make it my own (the Mark VI conversion). Something something beater gonna beat?

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Hows the overall light output from that "festoon" LED ? Looking for something that will give more in the front light, and the ones that are more or less bulb-shaped just don't do much. Also what sort of color temp is that? Big fan of warm white bulbs, they look like conventional lamps
    No festoon bulbs/sockets on this year...I think that started in 88 (maybe 86 since you asked). Both the dome lights use a 168 (or the others that fit the same) mini wedge bulb prior to the year they changed. In this case the LED panels include adapters to plug into either the wedge base or the "internal" festoon type, whereas the festoon type used in boxes has the wire loops on the end of the bulb instead...so this would not be plug-n-play with the boxes that use festoon bulbs.

Colour temp I'm going to guesstimate at 5500-6000 referencing the chart here: https://www.photographymad.com/pages...ur-temperature
    It's colder than I prefer, but it's not blue enough that I dislike it. It also only really looks blue looking directly into it, the light it casts in the car feels a lot more like just normal daylight. The front dome lens is quite yellowed so it's definitely playing in, but even with the lens off it didn't feel awful. Keep in mind I already have a blue interior though, so the light might seem "bluer" in others.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-05-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Currently owned, parked: 83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM POTM 12/2017
    Junkyards

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Also, the window only occasionally works with the key, in either direction. Very irritating. I may apply power to the spare tailgate (I have a complete spare one) and see if it behaves better. I don't really want to put the mismatched tailgate on but having this work would be nice.
    Was reading through this thread and caught this. I experienced a similar issue on my replacement gate, except the window only went down and quickly stopped responding to the key or dash switch.

Come to find out it was the switch in the gate that the key actuates...

D9AZ-14529-D

It would seem it handles much of power window control goes through this switch. It has a rubber boot that should protect the innards, but the one I pulled out of my replacement gate had a small tear and allowed water in. I swapped my good one in from the damaged gate and window operation was as expected in both directions. Removing it from its bracket also allows for easy testing of the window componentry since it'll run the window regardless if the car is on or not.

Like many have said, the tailgate is just an awful mess to make it all work correctly inside. I borrowed a lot of "known working" components out of my old gate either to fix stuff long since dead or for spares. I figured it might be worth taking another look in there by taking that switch off it's mount and testing it's operation. If it's become unreliable, that might be half the battle.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Thank you, I appreciate having the part number of this guy handy. In my case, it worked completely fine until I un-seized the lock, and the reason for this is because when the lock is engaged, the distance the mechanism swings to push on the switch is longer. Part of the mechanism is worn, introducing slop, and that slop takes away from the amount of "push" that is applied to the switch. I believe a new switch will behave the same as the existing one until the slop can be eliminated. The slop is not in a serviceable component, so a NOS latch is the proper fix, but a tiny tack weld in the right spot would also do it.

Everything is somehow currently in a happy place where it all works, but I had to bend things a bit to arrive in this place and I expect as the slop worsens it will go back to not working again.

Junkyards

if a blob of weld fixes the problem, its serviceable

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The passenger front power window motor has been troublesome since I put it in. The motor that went in, way-back-when, is the shorter variant of the chubby style motor. It was rebuilt with new plug things in the gear. It has always been a decently quick and smooth motor, but the trouble it gives me is that at very specific and consistent heights, it likes to get stuck if I stop it at those spots. Clearly, a bad spot on the commutator, or bad brush contact. One of those trouble spots is with the window almost entirely in the door, still poking out about 1/4 of an inch or so. It became stuck at that height last night after dark.

Historically, I've been able to re-awaken it by holding the window switch and slamming the door, but that did not work this time. The lights dim when I operate the switch, so the motor is connecting a load, which makes me think maybe it has now failed in another way such as the magnets coming unglued. In any event, motor no good in its current state anymore.

I peeled open the door last night and put in a good motor I had kicking around. The 'new' motor is a Denso unit and is built considerably differently, but is a genuine Ford item. I don't recall what I took it out of but I think it was a 2-door Fox platform vehicle, maybe a Mark VII. I don't know exactly how the gear shock absorption works on this but it does not have the 3 plastic plugs.

Put that in, but found the screws/bolts used on the previous motor were stripping out the holes. The self-tapping (I think?) nature of those screws mean they have a weird shape, if you look at the end of the screw it isn't actually round, it's like a pentagram. Found some longer screws of the same thread that are normal round ones, and those did the job. 2 screws only, as the third hole has the alignment problem you see when mixing older and newer cars and motors.

Unfortunately, the extended interior dampness of this car that I can't seem to resolve has taken a toll on the previously-perfect junkyard door card. I expect the others may have similar problems. The cardboard is warped from water damage and there is mold; this is why I got rid of the original door cards to begin with. Scrubbed it with some bleach and put it back together, the permanent fix is to make the car stop being wet inside and until I can achieve that, there's no point being more thorough.

Junkyards

not familiar with that style motor. My Mark VII's have the same type motor Panthers have with the plastic plugs and all that.

I've had some luck pulling the rotor out and polishing the commutator with sandpaper or Scotchbrite to make them go again. Only works if the problem is crusty contact though, obviously can't fix an open winding or a detatched magnet. I've seen magnets come loose, usually the motor goes but very slowly and sounds awful while doing it.

A quick Google of the part number finds them as take-offs from Fox T-birds. Makes sense as I once pulled motors from a Turbo Coupe. They have a different connector, which explains why I had swapped on the Panther pigtail previously.
    Not a very fast motor but it's smooth and works, so that's good enough for me.

The driver one is acting up now.

To clarify the earlier bit about water, the water damage to the door card is likely from humidity. The door does not fill with water and pool or anything like that, the moisture attacking the door card(s) is coming from the wet carpet and resulting sauna after heavy rain.

Junkyards

The driver one is acting up now.
    Yup.

I have now exhausted my supply of working junkyard motors. Will need to attempt refurbishment on the bits and pieces that remain, and when I've got access to Detroit again, stock up on some working ones.

Attended a "Cars 'n Coffee" this morning, a friend grabbed these while I was flying the drone getting some aerial shots of the overall area.

Junkyards

Got some more LED bulbs from China via AliExpress:
    -several of the switchbacks I used for the reverse light/brake combos, for future projects or replacement needs (RE: I had tested several comparable products and found only these exact ones behaved as I desired for that project)
    -ten white 194
    -two red 194
    -four white 1156, specifically looked for ones with many emitters facing many directions

I put the red 194s in the rear side markers on the wagon. Compared to the incandescent 194s, they fill the lens similarly (mild hotspot but not a big deal), and are rich red instead of sort of faded red as I had before. I'm pleased with them.

The white 194s are a little cold (colour temp) for my liking. I was hoping they would be less intense than the Philips ones I used for the license plate, but they are equally as intense, and colder, so I kept the Philips in there. I also painted the inside of the trim piece that goes over the license plate lights because they were glowing through it.

Two of the 1156s went in as cornering lamps, and wow, they work nicely. I intend to remove the housings and make them work even better in the future, but they're quite good as it is now. Note they illuminate the whole underneath of the front of the car, due to the reflecting coating just being completely gone inside them.

I did also recently have a headlight burn out - the passenger side, which was a mismatched Sylvania Xtravision that I had pulled off the 84 Lincoln's original header panel, to replace the one that was full of water. I replaced both of the lows with a pair of new Wagners I've had since perhaps 2013. I don't find their beam pattern or light output particularly great, but at least both have the same colour temperature now. This car does have relays for the lights.

Junkyards

Note they illuminate the whole underneath of the front of the car, due to the reflecting coating just being completely gone inside them.
    You aint kidding. Looks good too.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Ditch lights for the win.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Oil loss has reached and maybe exceeded adding 2 litres per change interval, and the persistent smell of oil burning off the surface of a cylinder head and exhaust manifold has steadily worsened. I finally decided it was time to ditch the previously replaced rubber (non-metal-core) gaskets and put on some PermaDryPlus good ones. Odometer showing 86,050km.

The bolts, as expected, were not even hand-tight. The problem I run into with cork+rubber, and fully rubber (but not metal framed) valve cover gaskets is it's impossible to torque the bolts enough to get them to stay in. The gasket always squishes out, deforms, tears or otherwise becomes useless. PermaDryPlus gaskets are easily the best choice for this application because you can crank the bolts down to a proper torque. Knock on vinyl sticker wood, the others haven't leaked yet.

Not the cleanest inside but not really a big deal.

Junkyards

The other day, I used the wagon to pull the Ranger Trailer full of yard waste for disposal. People go nuts over this thing and some people go super nuts over seeing this combo hooked together. It's fun.

Junkyards

People really notice the wagons!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Why I loved pulling my F150 trailer with the 88 MGM I had. Turned lots of heads. Pulling said trailer with the 03 Expedition doesn't turn nearly as many heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

What you need is a hulk wagon to turn into a trailer specifically to tow with this car.

It is a good looking period correct combo!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041