No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change day. 74,263km. 446km on this oil, which is a mix of leftover mixed conventional 10W30 and 5W30 plus about a litre of Dex/Merc (re: the potentially false tale that ATF cleans up engines). It came out black as night, so there's that. This is the second oil change in owning this car; the first change was also a very short interval and happened after the timing set and intake gaskets right before it hit the road.

New oil is a Shell-manufactured synthetic blend diesel/HD 10W30 in a store brand pail. It's probably Rotella T5 but there's no way to really know that. New filter is a FL1A. This combo will run for a standard 4800km OCI. I put copper washers on the drain plugs as the plastic ones were leaking, as they always do.

The Citgo C1A filters ($1 filters I bought because I knew I'd be doing a couple short OCIs) seem to have a very functional anti-drainback valve. Maybe more functional that our beloved FL1A. The car had been left on ramps after the trans drain plug stuff above, and not run since, and yet when I pulled the filter it was completely full of oil and there was a significant suction/draining sound when I threaded the filter off (air entering). If I had a good way to evaluate how well they actually filter I'd be tempted to buy a bunch more if they're still on RockAuto.

Didn't do chassis lube since that was all done 446km ago.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

wonder who makes the cheapie. There are only so many companies manufacturing stuff. Champ Labs makes a ton them with all manner of brand names.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one who writes down the date/mileage/etc. on the top of the oil filter box...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria
        1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
        1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by Stocker View Post
          Glad to see I'm not the only one who writes down the date/mileage/etc. on the top of the oil filter box...
          Same
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I bought a big roll of oil change stickers for short money. I'll be able to sticker my own cars until I die without buying more.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ATF does work at desludging. Why transmissions are always so clean and if further testing needs to be done, schmear it all over something greasy at a yard and see what happens.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Also can work as penetrating oil in a pinch.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

As with the 83, this was at the 2019 Metro Detroit meet today. Following the meet, some photos were taken.

Following are also in the 83 thread, with a couple of just this car alone which I didn't include there.

This car did shred its belt today after parting from the meet. We peeled off the shredded part and it made it home using the rubber band scrap that was left. Of course, I hadn't put spare belts in either car. The failed belt was on it when I got it and did look like it was kind of old.

Also, the charging system light is now on pretty much solid, at all times the key is on. Still a stock 1G externally regulated system. It's almost certainly a short to ground in the light bulb circuit because there is no actual reason I can find for the light to be on, however, the fact the alternator works at all does seem to suggest it can't be shorted as the alternator won't excite without that circuit...it's a mystery.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Nice photos. Cool areas.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

does the light go out if you unplug the regulator? If it doesn't, its a short to ground. If not its something in the reg causing it to turn on. If the resistor across the back of the bulb is missing that might also cause it to come on.

Comment

Oh boy.
                        This car is doing daily driver duty now. People love it! I've never experienced so many people turning to look, yelling out how sweet they think it is, throwing me thumbs up while driving and more...it's really something. There must be some recognition of the fact it was brought back from the dead. It certainly looks it.

AMP light issue above: this has been fixed. It seems the regulator connector was not properly mated with the pin for the bulb...I am not sure how this caused the bulb to be lit, as there was no path to ground, but it did. The light now works when the alt isn't charging and stays off when it is.

Have been hearing a tapping sound when suspension travel happens (particularly when there is a sudden change in suspension direction). Suspected lower shock bolt holes ripped out on passenger side. Was correct. This had already happened once to this arm when I was assembling the front end...drilled it bigger, tapped it, put in bigger bolt. Now that ripped out too. Decided to use nuts this time. They aren't good nuts and will probably fail too, but hopefully not soon. Did a very poor popcorn welding job attaching the nuts, but figured I have the welder so might as well do something with it.

I have not been enjoying the ride height. The one full coil removal was too much and made the car look awkward...too high in the rear, too low in the front. I like mild rake, not "cat in heat". I have one extra set of front springs, take-offs from my 91, and cut about 60% of one coil off of each. This landed me approximately the ride height I want. Of course, I'll need more springs if I want to experiment further. But I think I'm happy with it here. The oddly tilted-forward feeling driving it is gone.

Added cheap Amazon LED headlights as the high beams only. I don't consider these appropriate for on-road use, but high beams aren't really for on-road use (not with other vehicles nearby at least).

Ride height comparison:

As found: https://imgur.com/r6IGHvk
                        Same springs as above, after front end rebuild, no hood installed: https://imgur.com/9zGWAVi
                        Same springs as above, 1.0 coil cut: https://imgur.com/dCibVZL
                        91 springs which were found to behave same as springs above, now with 0.6 coil cut: https://imgur.com/fNKoxIT

It has some settling to do, but I don't think it's going to sink too low.
                        Last edited by kishy; 06-28-2020, 04:28 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Id give you a thumbs up.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have speed nuts for the shocks on mine. The problem with those, they break at the U part and then the bastard thing just spins without an easy way to get hold of it. Probably next time I put shocks on it I'll drill the arm out and weld nuts in there. Not looking forward to dropping the spring out to do that though.

Comment

It truly is as amazing how much attention these things garner. I wonder if it is the same with 2 & 4 doors.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Wagons ftw
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X