No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno that I'd consider traditional sequencing as "dangerously" unclear.. I've been around them since I was a kid and was never confused as to the driver's intentions. Haven't asked around about it though. What's worse are drivers who say put their left signal on and go right.. I do not approve of brake lights that go sequentially though, that puzzles me. I've noticed factory installed sequentials do it right by me, where hitting the brake pedal illuminates all intended bulbs instantly & at once while the turn signal is the only thing which triggers sequential tail lighting.

I've seen cars where the third brake light flashes a few times, mostly on Kias. I think it's sad that educating drivers about safe driving habits has failed and that we have to instead be defensive with distracted drivers as they are growing in numbers. I don't like looking at the flash, but I wouldn't be surprised if that method is more effective at getting people to notice and then slow down.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Has it been challenged in court? Don't know. If it is "DOT" approved then the lawsuit would have to be at the Federal level. That is the basis of writing some mechanical tickets. " Not in compliance with "Dot regulation #..." That is also the reason for parts being labeled for "off road use only" because it is a liability issue for the manufacturer knowingly selling parts to be used on a roadway, not being in compliance with DOT regulations. There is also a possibility of the owner of a vehicle modified with non DOD parts to be held totally or partially responsible for an accident. This could VOID a person's insurance coverage. This would be really looked at if the accident resulted in a fatality. Also depending upon the talent of the attorney.
      With the color of Turn signals. If you look at sequential turn signals, All I have seen on passenger vehicles are RED. By DOT regulations, Turn signals may be Red or amber. Is there a restriction for sequentials to be red only? I have not researched the DOT regulations. Those turn signals go back to at least 1965. It is possible.
      Construction equipment on the other hand, that directs traffic to modify the direction of travel, is always YELLOW. Yellow is caution. If an accident occurs at a construction site. The catch all citation would be along the lines of " failure to exercise caution, or failure to obey a traffic device.

Comment

Mustangs, several Audi models, some Mercedes, come stock with sequentials now. The rule is that the blinker must have a large segment first greater than a certain size. I've seen some that the LED line styles come on full and sequential out to cover their ass legally. Some of the earlier Audis had a large block below the sequential to cover that aspect. Since the Mustangs (and MGMs and Aero CVs that have been modified) have 3 large segments, they're already good. I don't remember the minimum size requirements though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Maybe the point I was making has been lost.

That point is: we only think it makes sense for things to be the way they commonly are on the basis that they are commonly that way. There is not actually some meaningful communication being done by sequencing that is not accomplished equally by just a flashing light, which is precisely the reason that a simple flashing light is permitted to be a turn signal. Highway construction arrows that are shaped like an arrow but flash together all at once have the same significance as the ones that light up in 3 sequenced segments.

As for why I did the mod, it was for novelty and increased visibility (would not have done it for the first if not also achieving the second, and would have done it for the second even if not achieving the first). The change event from dim or unlit to bright is what most effectively captures attention rather than the presence of the light in general, so if you can find a way to add more of those change events (e.g. not just a single dim-to-bright event, but 3 of them per illumination), you in theory increase the priority of that visual signal to the driver behind you to...I dunno, maybe 300% of what it is as stock. I will note that I agree it is aesthetically (but maybe not functionally) less ideal for the brake lights to sequence and I plan to defeat that, but it isn't a priority. No further analysis required, please...we can break off to an off-topic thread to discuss the merits of lack thereof for sequential signals (not on this car, but on any) if desired.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I think anything that gets other drivers to pay more attention to your vehicle is a good thing. Rising/falling sequentials would probably help that as well. The increased visibility is the reason I did the mod on my car. Having been hit from behind twice now, and being sued by one of them saying I didn't use my blinker and slammed my brakes (which both are false, though only the latter is proved by my dashcam video), I wanted to do something to bring even more attention to the warning lights on my car. Changing out to LED bulbs to increase brightness closer to the new stuff out there will also help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I agree. When the car manufacturers started putting signal lights on mirrors it was a good way of showing when someone was turning. Now if we could get driver's to be more courteous and actually USE them! WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Ran a couple wires for an optional feature of the sequencing modules: cancel the sequence for brake light mode.

The WebElectric sequencing product is actually two identical, independent modules.
                They have the following mandatory wires:
                -ground
                -12V input, also tied together with first light bulb. Bulb lights and module can see that it has received voltage.
                -12V output, for second light bulb. Module sends power to it in sequence.
                -12V output, for third light bulb. Module sends power to it in sequence.

There is also an optional "control wire" from each module. If it is not connected, the modules run the sequence every time they get 12V on the first bulb circuit, regardless of where the 12V came from (brakes or turn signal).
                The control wire is to be wired to a part of the turn signal circuit which is hot only when the turn signal is on. This would typically be found at the indicator bulbs in the cluster. In a Panther with cornering lamps, this signal for each side can easily be accessed at the cornering lamp relays.

If the wire is connected, and the cluster bulb is not receiving power, the module believes that you are using the brakes, and will light the 2nd and 3rd bulbs immediately (or very close to it) together with the 1st bulb.
                When the cluster bulb is receiving power, the module believes that you are using a turn signal (also applies to hazard lights), and will run the sequence.
                The sequence is auto-calibrating and after several flashes it auto-adjusts to the speed of your flasher.

Anyway, here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gotbydYg7i4
                Try to ignore the drone drifting, I did a sloppy job calibrating the compass and it was having a bad time staying still.
                Last edited by kishy; 07-02-2021, 01:44 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Super cool.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Met up with a friend and his 90 Custom Cruiser:

302/CFI absolutely mops the floor with the 307/4bbl.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                      302/CFI absolutely mops the floor with the 307/4bbl.
                      I've driven a couple 307s but honestly they don't feel much different to lopo CFI. I spanked an '88 Caprice Classic 305 TBI, which makes no sense but they had like a 2.5 rear end ratio... Mine's a 3.08
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Great pics!

The 307 is such a pathetic turd. They idle nice but whoo boy, about the worst engine GM ever stuck in a full size car. What were they, about 140 HP? Maybe 240ft-lbs? Turd. Only thing good I can say about them is I've never seen a dead one. So many GM cars I'd like to own & try out from the 80's, but that junky motor keeps me away.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          about 140 HP? Maybe 240ft-lbs? Turd.
                          Certainly the CFI is a beast with it's 140hp and 250 ft-lbs...
                          I've got a couple chevy folks as friends and they all commend the 307 on reliability. Ditching the CCC and letting it breathe better is apparently good for a cruiser. From what I remember, pre-'87 engines had way better flowing heads and intake.

What comes to shitty GM engines from the 80's, I'd say the Olds Diesel (and it's users).
                          Box chevys and their BOP counterparts are awkwardly common here with the 350dx and more often the 6.2 detroit.
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I have the Tow Ready 119180 module, which physically looks the same as yours, in the '98. Makes sense that the relay would stop the LED glow. I actually had LED glow with the blue LED dome light in The Ice Car, but for some reason I've never noticed it with the white LED dome light in The Scab. Both cars have the clear dome light cover which makes it easier to spot, and I probably wouldn't notice with the stock cover.

For the power wire on the tow module mine came with a black 12ga wire. I wanted red so I ordered (through eBay) from a place that is quite local to me (walking distance from Will's house) but I'm not sure if they have an actual brick and mortar store at least I couldn't find anything on their website that mentioned a physical store. My source is Crimp Zone https://www.crimpzone.com/ and the eBay listing I bought is https://www.ebay.com/itm/223431882631.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                              Certainly the CFI is a beast with it's 140hp and 250 ft-lbs...
                              Ahem, I'll have you know it is 150 wild, very wild horses under the hood, sir. Things get even crazier if you throw a dual exhaust into the mix, you'll find another 10 ponies on the dance floor.

Comment

I had two cars with an Olds 307 and didn't have any issues with either. I actually liked the fact that they were so bullet proof as I wasn't really looking for performance.

First one was an 82 Deville. I got the engine out of a 87 Regal a friend of friend was modding. My original HT4100 blew itself up on the way to work one day (no surprise there...). I don't remember what the rear end gears were in the Deville but it moved really good off the line. There was no smog or anything other than water pump/power steering/alternator on the engine to bog it down. The other was an 87 Cadillac Brougham. That one came stock with the 307 and had all the original emissions stuff on it (including the computer controlled carb...). It was like night and day compared to the Deville. The Brougham couldn't get out of it's own way. It was pretty at least!

Back on topic though, both wagons look great!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X