No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cadillac & Mercedes have wagons, many Subarus look like wagons. They just don't want to call them that.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I removed the remains of brakes from my utility trailer for similar reasons. the drums remain because they are the hubs but the hydraulics were already gone, I just tossed the broken springs and shoes that were rattling around inside the drums when I did wheel bearings. Making it work would be nice but not cheap because I have nothing at all to start with.

The alignment shouldn't be but usually is some big stupid undertaking. Tell them to use 92-94 specs since thats exactly what the front end parts match up with.

crossovers are somewhere in the no-man's land between station wagons and minivans, which direction it goes depends on the specific ones.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tell them to use 92-94 specs and remind them that you also have the older frame mounted adjustment points as well if needed. I had to remind a shop of that once.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
          About the brakes on the trailer...yeah, probably. But one side was totally missing, backing plate and all, so no thanks. I also don't really anticipate ever moving anything particularly heavy with it, just large, and my vehicles that I'd consider towing with have their braking systems in top condition. I could have added a surge brake master cylinder (replaces the trailer coupler and applies hydraulic pressure when trailer pushes into the tow vehicle) but there are many considerations like the diameter of the wheel cylinders. If I eventually deem brakes necessary it can be revisited. None of what was still on this would have been usable as-it-was, really.
          Ah, a "surge brake master cylinder" is what one would add. Thanks, that's what I was wondering what was possible. I'd definitely figure out a way to do that if I was serious about it. I probably wouldn't do it to the Ranger trailer but some 8ft box with a 1 or 3/4 ton axle and the associated big drummies? Yep. Anything I register and insure has great brakes- homie don't play that game. I've just noticed that when loaded, GM half ton brakes feel the strain.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thats the real limitation to 1/2 ton trucks, the truck will pull more than it will stop. I will admit modern stuff is better in that regard, a new 1/2 ton has frame and brake capacity like an older 3/4 or 1 ton.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So since this is me, I'll just buy another old 1 ton.

Yeah that's accurate haha. While slow to get up to speed, it truly feels like it'll pull anything I put behind it.. I'll admit, I NEVER intended to tow with this damn truck but I did put a hitch on it in case I had to haul stuff around town or for WTF else. Yesterday, I really missed our former '88 C3500 with it's 454, full floater and massive brakes. But I enjoy how spirited around town my K1500 regular cab short box is. It got the jobs done and once up to speed, it held it's own well. But there were three times, THREE! over the last month of my towing adventures where some clowns cut us off and then decided to hit the brakes on me. Like, I'm leaving this much room in case I gotta panic stop.. That's not only scary, but dangerous. These stupid fucks obviously have no clue. I was so irritated I actually wished the one would hit his brakes again just so I could plow him.
              Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 07-08-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Thats the real limitation to 1/2 ton trucks, the truck will pull more than it will stop. I will admit modern stuff is better in that regard, a new 1/2 ton has frame and brake capacity like an older 3/4 or 1 ton.
                I was checking out a newer F150. GVWR of 7200lb. My 74 F-250 is rated at 6800lbs (4600lbs empty). Not sure how much the F150 weighed. Probably 6000lbs. It was a crew 4x4. A new 1/2 ton 2WD Regular cab long bed would likely be a beast.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  My Dad has been saying this for years. He always got 3/4 - 1ton trucks because of the braking system upgrades. Even his 1st welding rig was a 1953 F-250 because of the heavy duty drum brakes. The only exception was his 2001 F-250; the braking system on that truck was garbage. Though in the last 10 years, braking systems on most vehicles are far better than they were even 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    But there were three times, THREE! over the last month of my towing adventures where some clowns cut us off and then decided to hit the brakes on me. Like, I'm leaving this much room in case I gotta panic stop.. That's not only scary, but dangerous. These stupid fucks obviously have no clue. I was so irritated I actually wished the one would hit his brakes again just so I could plow him.
                    This... this is why I put the f'n huge bumper on the front of my Expedition. I've had several folks think about it start to come around me, see that bumper and then tap the brakes.

That said, I've also had several that don't care about any life and just go where they want with no regard for anyone else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      This... this is why I put the f'n huge bumper on the front of my Expedition. I've had several folks think about it start to come around me, see that bumper and then tap the brakes.

That said, I've also had several that don't care about any life and just go where they want with no regard for anyone else.
                      I used to live in a major city. My car was bashed all the way around, even the cabbies left me alone LOL

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                        I used to live in a major city. My car was bashed all the way around, even the cabbies left me alone LOL
                        Yeah... the Mad Marquis was proof that some people around here just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          I was checking out a newer F150. GVWR of 7200lb. My 74 F-250 is rated at 6800lbs (4600lbs empty). Not sure how much the F150 weighed. Probably 6000lbs. It was a crew 4x4. A new 1/2 ton 2WD Regular cab long bed would likely be a beast.
                          I like Ford trucks except that the last time I checked, a F150 frame will not handle a plow. Maybe the new ones can take a plow ? Plenty of people put them on older trucks as yard trucks. My old plow truck was an F350. Great truck as far as how it was ordered.

Comment

That would be surprising if it wouldn't take a plow. You'd think they wouldn't do that just to get the business from smaller towns that plow with pickup trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post

It really is amazing, I need to get a dash cam. But I really feel for actual truckers now. I think people just naturally see red when they come upon something hauling a trailer. In my case, they probably see an old shitty truck and assume it won't do the speed limit or whatever. Even when I was doing five over in a 45, people still made it a big deal to try and get around me. One just wanted to be a second or two ahead, got around me then nailed the brakes to get into a driveway. The stupidity. Towing in the city is F'n scary. Like you said, they've got absolutely no regard for anyone else but themselves. When the camera is rolling though? Oh, they love everyone and suggest inclusion for everyone as well. That goes out the window the minute they get behind the wheel or are told "no."

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                              I should upload pics of my dad in his early 20's with his '68 Riviera. That thing was destroyed on every side except the passenger or driver's side. Story goes he went out with another girl to a movie and the original one used her dad's F250 to go to town on it in the parking lot. Other side was spared because dad interrupted. He drove it like that for a year or something. Said he never had problems merging or with road rage while driving it like that.

Comment

It isn't enough to have just a front facing dash cam anymore. Need a rear facing one too. Thinkware makes very good discreet dashcams.

Comment

Working...
                                X