kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
    When you posted your original thread, I pictured some out of the way field access lane, not an actual driveway in an inhabited area.

For as ugly as she is, she isn't all that bad considering. Take a lot of elbow grease to get her cleaned up. Speaking of which, do you have a time limit on getting the car inspected? Better check into it, I seem to remember reading something. You might be burning the midnight oil to get it up to muster for the crappy tire inspection.

Alex.
    No time limit I'm aware of. The safety inspection criteria already got stricter, I believe June of last year.

Going to get a 10-day temp sticker for it, so that it is not transferred as "unfit", even though it won't be driven in the next 10 days. Doing it this way as opposed to transferring it as unplated and unfit (in the absence of a safety cert) means it can receive another 10-day temp later on. If it transfers as unfit, it will need to be towed to a shop for a safety the next time it touches the road.

No time frame in mind. But since I've got it now, this helps motivate me to get rid of the 97. Space in my driveway is significantly reduced.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-19-2017, 04:56 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

I wonder if that $100 AC thing is because it would have been R12 originally. Maybe some sort of environmental fee due to CFC refrigerants, which it almost certainly has none of anymore.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

https://www.riv.ca/RIVInspection.aspx

45 days from the day you visited the Border guys.

It is the importer’s responsibility to complete the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) inspection within 45 days (or 1 year for salvage vehicles) from the date of import. All required modifications must be completed prior to the RIV inspection. If you are having trouble completing the RIV inspection within 45 days (or 1 year for salvage vehicles) it is important to Contact us.
        No pressure.

--

A/C fee applies to any refrigerant. Gotta pay that when you buy a new car as well.

Alex.

Comment

https://www.riv.ca/RIVInspection.aspx

45 days from the day you visited the Border guys.

No pressure.

--

A/C fee applies to any refrigerant. Gotta pay that when you buy a new car as well.

Alex.
          Oh, that. It's RIV exempt due to age. Transport Canada confirmed on the phone this morning I'm good to take the 13-0132 "Vehicle Import Form - Form 1" to Service Ontario and that'll do to get me an Ontario ownership.

In Section 16, (d) is checked for "Vehicle is fifteen years old or older" and the RIV section is crossed out and has a CBSA stamp on it.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

You might be burning the midnight oil to get it up to muster for the crappy tire inspection.
            Crappy Tire is the last place I would go to for an inspection. I hope that's not his only choice for a repair shop.
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              No time frame in mind. But since I've got it now, this helps motivate me to get rid of the 97. Space in my driveway is significantly reduced.
              If the wagon's engine is too far gone, you could swap in the drive-train from the '97.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Air conditioning tax... So I'm sure the Canadian government will be handing that money over to the atmosphere, right? Bah, can't stand government crap, regulations, fees and everything else that fucks the small guy out of his 12 grams of fun per year.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

4.6/4R70W is a possibility, I was planning to keep the drivetrain when I scrap the shell...

I was able to get an AutoCheck report on it:

So, it seems fair to say it rolled over one time and is at 148k miles (238k km), making it my highest mileage vehicle. Mileage doesn't generally scare me but it's good to have it in mind.

The exact timeline of the SC-to-OH move is not exactly as I'd been thinking but the details also weren't really available, since the people I bought it from bought it after it was already in OH, all they could tell me was that it came from SC before they bought it in 2005 (not a lie). It looks like it's been in OH since 2000.
                  Last edited by kishy; 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Came from Leesville, SC, neat! My grand parents live in the Batesburg-Leesville area, so that's not too far a trip.

That car would have originally would have been about a little over an hour away from where I live.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I wish in Michigan they took down ODO readings. There's even a spot for it on the title but apparently if the vehicle is beyond a certain age they don't record it, even if you tell them.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        I wish in Michigan they took down ODO readings. There's even a spot for it on the title but apparently if the vehicle is beyond a certain age they don't record it, even if you tell them.
                        Same in Texas. 10 years and it's "EXEMPT" in that spot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm. I think I'll start listing mileage as "EXEMPT" when selling stuff now

Comment

Buddy took a look at the Autocheck and pointed something out:

82,560 in 1997
                            (1)39,620 in 2000

While it's believable that the car had 82k miles put on from 1985 to 1997, it's a lot less believable that it had 57k miles put on in only 3 years.

Seems possible it was actually 32k in 97, and the 3 was misread as an 8. If that's true, it's still only 45k.

Unrelated: I only received the ignition key with it, so I'm going to have to re-key all 3 doors and the glovebox (which itself is either locked or broken and I can't get into it). I have spare lock sets with keys, but none with a tailgate lock cylinder.
                            Last edited by kishy; 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Mileage on that thing is moot based on current condition lol. Can't you just take a lock cylinder from the door and have a key made from that?

Comment

Mileage on that thing is moot based on current condition lol.
                                Not necessarily. AOD is why mileage matters to me. Not that it matters much, but at least a bit.

AOD at 45k, spring chicken. AOD at 145k (especially when it was used for towing), maybe not as much.

Can't you just take a lock cylinder from the door and have a key made from that?
                                I've never done it, but I presume it's possible. I figured it went the other way, you can get a lock rekeyed to match a key but not a key made to match an existing lock...

Edit: just called a locksmith. $75. Yeah, no. I'll see if I can cobble something together.
                                Last edited by kishy; 06-21-2017, 12:24 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X