No announcement yet.

kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make sure you clean up the axle extremely well. I tried two sets of those on my car, neither sealed so it ended up with new axles. The shafts were rusty on mine at the point where the new seal sat though and there just wasn't a usable seal surface. Hopefully yours are in better shape.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Shiny lenses. Very nice.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        make sure you clean up the axle extremely well. I tried two sets of those on my car, neither sealed so it ended up with new axles. The shafts were rusty on mine at the point where the new seal sat though and there just wasn't a usable seal surface. Hopefully yours are in better shape.
        I didn't look too closely at the bearings but these seem to have a seal on both the inside and outside, as the bearing is intended to be greased and not lubed by the gear oil (I think). So hopefully as long as the inner seal seals, and the outer one kinda seals, it all works OK...

But that being said I consider it temporary anyway until good axle shafts wander my way. I'll clean up the axle shafts a bit and see what I'm left with.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Shiny lenses. Very nice.
        Yes...far too nice for the car, but I just couldn't deal with the thought that one light would be brighter than the other if one was NOS and one was factory installed and sun baked since 1979.

Didn't really have to break the bank either, the pair were $103 US shipped. More than I'd like to have paid but not really unfair at all.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Fabbed up some adapters to use the 89+ speakers in the 88- cars (specifically to put 89 speakers in the wagon). I keep finding 89s with good speakers but 89 has the newer connector.

I took the little connector bit (essentially a piece of circuit board with two fat traces forming the terminals) off my dead speakers and attached 89(+) pigtails to them, turning them into adapters. Good solution for keeping things reversible (and also predictable, as in knowing what to expect when revisiting the topic in the future).

Factory dash speakers are in, autolamp sensor is good, so it's almost time to put the dash pad in...almost...but I know if I do that, the ATC vacuum sensor thing will turn out to be bad. Date on it is weird. The year appears to be "907". Clearly some sort of oopsie when stamping the date onto the part.

Since the window motors all work now, the rear locks work, and the front doors now have good speakers and correct pigtails soldered in, it's almost time to close the doors up. Window channel is absolutely screwed in the back doors which causes the glass to go down funny, but I'm not investing good brand new window channel in this car at this time. I'll revisit that in the future. Need to hunt for an adequate adhesive or tape solution to attach the junkyard-scavenged plastic moisture barriers to the doors to protect the new door cards. This stuff is fairly unimportant to the overall progress of the car but it's symbolic in a sense. The car will really look a lot less trashy with a decent interior.

Carpet can go in and seats be bolted down once the fairly small rust hole on the passenger side is taken care of. It's just the pre-existing hole normally occupied by a rubber body plug from the factory, but widened out a bit by rust making that plug no longer fit. Repair will not be extravagant, just functional.

Last edited by kishy; 08-06-2018, 07:55 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Solder sucker!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

And what a sucker! (I so want a desoldering station... I currently have a similar solder sucker and wick to do the job.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a fan of the solder sucker vs the desoldering braid. That's a cheap eBay one from China and it does just fine.

If I were bulk-desoldering (parting out/recycling stuff) or doing it as part of a regular job I'd probably go for a fancy desoldering station (plus a hot air rework setup plus other goodies) but since it's all just hobby-tier work done on an occasional basis, I get along OK.

This is my iron...I've really grown to like it: https://www.soldering.com.tw/solderi...ion/SL-20.html

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I bought a Hakko 808 desoldering gun years ago and have not yet been sorry for it.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I pretty much have the same setup as kishy... wick for cleanup/lead conditioning/small stuff, solder sucker for typical through hole stuff, and a Weller PES51 iron. I also have that butane Weller for outside jobs so I don't have to jack with an extension cord. I use a MAP torch for lugs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wow nice to see you save this wagon, this thread is amazing ! Good luck !
                      1987 Colony Park LS wagon
                      1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

Did a couple things.

Put the A-pillar trim back in. Broke one. It appears these are intended to go in before the dashboard. There's a good one in the P72 that showed up in Detroit recently but I may not bother...the break is down almost out of sight.

Tested the ATC temp sensor as per my post the other day. It was not capable of providing heat whatsoever. Replaced with known-good; the one I removed will be kept for future repair experimentation.

Laid the new junkyard dash pad in. What an awesome find that was...it's nearly perfect. This car will not feel nearly as trashed inside as it did when I got it.

Used heatshrink tubing on some disintegrating insulation on the instrument cluster pigtail. Put the cluster in; photo is from the 'bulb check' with key in Start. The symmetry of these clusters is kind of nice. Note the '79 speedometer face has giant triangle turn signals, not shaped arrows. Also note I put in the '79 fuel gauge which has the actual word "fuel" instead of the symbol used in later years.

Dash reassembly will come once the Tripminder works again. All of the buttons are unresponsive. Suspect corroded contact pads.

Just need to sort out the power locks (2/5 work - ordered some new ones) and window channels (unusably bad, windows slip out of track alignment due to missing sections down in the doors), then I can put the doors together with their 'new' junkyard moisture barriers and door cards. Lock actuators are coming from Auto Parts Warehouse and are their house brand (brand name is just "Replacement"). I suspect they're probably a white-box Dorman part. I think even the Motorcraft example is by them. If it's not Dorman then it's probably Wells.

Then, some minor floor work for a small hole on the passenger side and the carpet can go in. Interior will be a nice thing to cross off the to-do list.
                        Last edited by kishy; 09-05-2018, 11:29 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

was/is 100kph the national speed limit up there at some point? Just wondering what the orange line is about. Speedos here usually had "55" in a circle or bold when that was the national limit.

Comment

It's a weird sort of thing. I don't believe we ever had a "national speed limit" the same way you did, but at the time that 55 was the standard in USA, 100 was the highest speed (I'm aware of) anywhere in Canada. Even today the majority are 100 (62), but there are some higher examples.

The Town Car has the same thing, yellow line beginning at 100, as does my '83. However, the '91 cluster (original Mercury or the P72 that's in it now) had no such markings.
                            Last edited by kishy; 09-05-2018, 11:43 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

I like the fact the KMH clusters go past 85 MPH. Hell, if I could find a Mercury one for not insane money, I’d consider just dealing with imperial readout being secondary. Only downside is recorded mileage would all be kilometers, but my drivetrain isn’t original and the current mileage far exceeds mechanical limits.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                I like the fact the KMH clusters go past 85 MPH. Hell, if I could find a Mercury one for not insane money, I’d consider just dealing with imperial readout being secondary. Only downside is recorded mileage would all be kilometers, but my drivetrain isn’t original and the current mileage far exceeds mechanical limits.
                                Yeah, that always seemed strange to me. Seemed like a reasonable amount of cost could have been saved by having the speedos be identical mechanically and in calibration, but just changing the printing for each market. Probably a good reason why they didn't do that. Regardless, we know in stock form the cars can easily exceed the 85MPH speedo so I would guess there was a political reason for it at the time with which I'm just not familiar.

Ordered some parts tonight, mostly for the Ranger. Need to progress on the engine swap. I want as many ducks in a row as possible before turning the first bolt on that project. Original goal was finish wagon then start Ranger, but I believe I won't make it happen by winter if I don't start the Ranger stuff pretty much immediately. One of the biggest hangups is actually the fuel sender. I got my hands on an EFI one that fits my existing tank but the gauge sender is all screwed up. As far as engine swap problems go, this is nothing, so it's a good thing it's my biggest problem so far...I'll bump the Ranger's thread when it's time to talk more about it.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X