PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: kishy's 1985 Country Squire

Id recommend some sort of flat putty blade attachment to the end of a sazall to get the windshield out. Oh and lots of lubrication.

When my windshield needed to be resealed in the Crown Victoria (back in 2010) that is the tool that was used. Worked like a champ.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Id recommend some sort of flat putty blade attachment to the end of a sazall to get the windshield out. Oh and lots of lubrication.

When my windshield needed to be resealed in the Crown Victoria (back in 2010) that is the tool that was used. Worked like a champ.
    Yeeeeeaaaahhhh, I've seen videos of that and it looks like it makes super quick work of the job particularly at the bottom. Problem is that as soon as the tool starts to look appropriate for that job (long enough), the price shoots into outer space.

I'm not quite sure how I'd make something equivalent either. Rivet something to a saw blade?

I do have a cordless reciprocating saw so I'm halfway there. Just need the blade.

Looking at my options, I could get something like a 2" scraper blade for 10 bucks, not too bad. But it only sticks about 4-5 inches out of the saw, so I'd need to build an extension since it seems like they exist(ed) but can't be easily sourced.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM | Junkyards

I also don't like the possibility of cracking the glass by power tool.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I also don't like the possibility of cracking the glass by power tool.
    I would have figured scratching it to be the bigger concern, but I guess neither is really ideal.

This would do the job: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/bo...-removal-tool/
    But the issue is that shaft extension between the saw and the blade. He didn't happen to mention if that was an off-the-shelf item, or if his saw is just that way normally, or what exactly he did to make it...metal rod, squared off at both ends with tapped holes, requires tools to make that I don't have.

fomoco panthers !

I understand the need to do the job cheap. I would strongly encourage you to have the jy to pull it for you. The cost of a new windshield installed is not that more money and so much less work. I have broken a few of used windshields. A couple was by chipping the edge when taking it out. One was at the end of the installation. I have also used a release agent which is a aerosol solvent which helps soften the old seal. When you add the cost of the tools required : Trim removal tool, $10, windshield removal kit $38, release agent $11, new seal $6 extra sealant $6. = $71. If you get frustrated enough and give up, you have wasted the money on supplies. Bite the bullet, have it done right the fist time.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 10-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I understand the need to do the job cheap. I would strongly encourage you to have the jy to pull it for you. The cost of a new windshield installed is not that more money and so much less work. I have broken a few of used windshields. A couple was by chipping the edge when taking it out. One was at the end of the installation. I have also used a release agent which is a aerosol solvent which helps soften the old seal. When you add the cost of the tools required : windshield removal kit $38, release agent $11, new seal $6 extra sealant $6. = $61 and that is wholesale cost. If you get frustrated enough and give up, you have wasted the money on supplies. Bite the bullet, have it done right the fist time.
    Not an option. No local yards pull windshields anymore, I tried.

New windshield $185 for the glass.
    Over $300 installed and I have to bring the car to them.

Can't do Safelite because I can't go to the US with the car until it has stickers and it can't get those until it passes safety which it can't do until it has a windshield.

DIY is the only option. I can break 6 windshields before I get to the cost of one installed (excluding materials cost, but presumably I'm breaking it before I use them). I'm pretty sure I can pull it off at least once out of six.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.

I had a local dude replace the windshield in my explorer, he used the putty blade attached to a sawsall, it was amazing how well that worked.

No need to custom make one, you can buy them:

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...hoCBNYQAvD_BwE

If you're worried about the glass, maybe bring some thin styrene to put between the blade/saw and the glass as you go around, a cheap for sale sign would work well.

fomoco panthers !

Could you pay a glass shop installer to pull and install a used windshield for you on their own time ?
    If not, at least get some release agent for the old seal. Work slow. Two people make things allot easier.
    Wish you the best.

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    I had a local dude replace the windshield in my explorer, he used the putty blade attached to a sawsall, it was amazing how well that worked.

No need to custom make one, you can buy them:

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...hoCBNYQAvD_BwE

If you're worried about the glass, maybe bring some thin styrene to put between the blade/saw and the glass as you go around, a cheap for sale sign would work well.
    I was eyeing that exact blade actually, but they don't seem to be long enough. I can't see getting my saw in between the dash and windshield and the blade being able to even touch the adhesive, nevermind go through it. The purpose-made windshield removal ones are easily twice as long.

Good point about having something as a protective layer between the blade and the glass. Can't scratch it if it doesn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Could you pay a glass shop installer to pull and install a used windshield for you on their own time ?
    If not, at least get some release agent for the old seal. Work slow. Two people make things allot easier.
    Wish you the best.
    The logistics of that get messy because I'd be removing the windshield in the US and bringing it back to Canada. I don't know anyone who works at a Detroit glass shop nor is it particularly easy to cheap to call them to ask if they offer that sort of service. Furthermore I'm paying two people if I do that, because removal and install are occurring in two different countries.

Two people is the plan, though. Tempted to start with the trashed one in my wagon, since it's already garbage, to get the technique down. I would tape the glass on both sides so it doesn't come apart working on it.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

All Star Auto Glass was the place that replaced the windshield on my '89 back in 2011 or 2012, for under $150.
    It's a little hole-in-the-wall place on 8 Mile, East of Dequindre (3/4mi West of Ryan). If I were to go there again I would remove the trim on the inside around the windshield, but other than that I had no issues with them.

Working on the junk windshield first makes sense. Although I'm not sure if it would be susceptible to damage that would expose the interior of the car to the elements.

Edit: That's probably not an option? You would have to pass inspection before you could drive the car over here, and the current windshield would probably cause you to fail inspection.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    All Star Auto Glass was the place that replaced the windshield on my '89 back in 2011 or 2012, for under $150.
    It's a little hole-in-the-wall place on 8 Mile, East of Dequindre (3/4mi West of Ryan). If I were to go there again I would remove the trim on the inside around the windshield, but other than that I had no issues with them.

Working on the junk windshield first makes sense. Although I'm not sure if it would be susceptible to damage that would expose the interior of the car to the elements.

Edit: That's probably not an option? You would have to pass inspection before you could drive the car over here, and the current windshield would probably cause you to fail inspection.
    Yeah, no-go for that reason. Cost wise you Americans luck out. Even with the exchange rate I'd come out ahead if I could get it done on your side of the border.

Wagon is living under a carport right now. Not a very good carport, and still exposed, but it'll be more or less kinda protected.

If I feel particularly motivated to try this out I'll give it a shot by the weekend. Saturday is the target day to go scope out the ones in the yard though. Fact is they come up often enough that I won't cry too much if my first extraction fails. Just as long as, if I pull it successfully, I don't break it after paying for it...

I think a bunch of room is opened up for access to the lower windshield area if you remove the dash pad. May be enough for that blade to do its job?
    ~David~

formerly blkpnthr

I think a bunch of room is opened up for access to the lower windshield area if you remove the dash pad. May be enough for that blade to do its job?
    Looking at a 90 donor, so dash pad isn't removable.

I do agree that it would help with a 79-89 though.

Just do what everyone else does and smash every part that even remotely close to the part you want out of the way.

(kidding)

formerly blkpnthr

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    Just do what everyone else does and smash every part that even remotely close to the part you want out of the way.

(kidding)
    I'll smash that pesky glass on the front of the passenger cabin, to make more room so I can cut through the bottom windshield seal!

As an aside, I'm guilty of destroying things to get to things I need, but I use logic and reason when deciding to do so. If whatever thing in my way is already trashed, I'm not going out of my way to preserve it (water/weather damaged door cards being the main one that comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Looking at a 90 donor, so dash pad isn't removable.

I do agree that it would help with a 79-89 though.
    Bummer.

EDIT: I am sure you seen it....a scraper tool with a bit more reach: https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...63/i/G1506233/
    ~David~

The plastic piece over the defrost vents will pop right up on the '90+ dash, but I don't think it gives you as much room as removing the dash pad on '89- Panthers.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

formerly blkpnthr

Bummer.

EDIT: I am sure you seen it....a scraper tool with a bit more reach: https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-scrap...63/i/G1506233/
    That's the same length as what I've acquired tonight, give or take. As the end of the blade recesses slightly into the saw body, unlike some I've seen where it mounts kind of outside, part of the length of the blade is wasted just getting the blade to protrude from the body of the saw.

The saw is this one: https://www.rona.ca/images/59595059c_L.jpg
    Cheap store brand power tools are not necessarily the smartest investment but this has been pretty good to me about zipping through exhaust pipes and removing a wagon trunk pan, so I think it should make quick work of the windshield. Not that I'm trying for quick.

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    The plastic piece over the defrost vents will pop right up on the '90+ dash, but I don't think it gives you as much room as removing the dash pad on '89- Panthers.
    Virtually no increase in a dimension that helps, I think. But we shall see. Maybe I'm grossly overestimating how far forward the sealer adhesive actually is. I'm envisioning it being deep down almost in the cowl.

I'm going to mock this up tomorrow, it was too dark by the time I got back home with my scraper blade...nice thing is I have both dash styles at my disposal. If an extension is needed I'm thinking of making one out of two normal 6" blades sandwiching the scraper blade, riveted together. Hopefully won't have to go there.
    Last edited by kishy; 10-11-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Virtually no increase in a dimension that helps, I think. But we shall see. Maybe I'm grossly overestimating how far forward the sealer adhesive actually is. I'm envisioning it being deep down almost in the cowl.
    I think you're right. At best I think removing that defrost vent cover might give you some extra hand space, but even that is questionable and probably not much difference. Unfortunately that's all you get with the '90+ without pulling the whole dash.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

formerly blkpnthr

Pretty sure the windshield currently in my wagon is one of the Chinese replacements, and was installed with sub-par materials. Can't find Carlite marked on it anywhere, it's super thin, and it's not even glued down in spots (the butyl or whatever is there, but the glass is not adhered to it). I think getting the old out is going to be a breeze and can only hope (yeah, I know) the junkyard one will be that easy.

As for my scraping saw thing, this is what I have (had) to work with:

It was not sufficient to get anywhere near the bottom edge adhesive:

So I mocked up an extension by using two worn normal blades sandwiching the scraper blade which got me a lot closer, but still not there yet.

Removing the dash pad did it. With it out of the way, there's so much room to work. I can't imagine trying to get this windshield out with the dash pad installed. As for the 91 dash, the saw will just barely sneak into place with the extension I made. It's workable. However, I did try the saw on the wagon and I'm not sure if it's even what I'll end up using. It's all going to depend on how good an angle I can get in the cowl area for the other end of the piano wire. I think if I can get a good angle on that, zipping through it with the wire is going to be faster, easier and lower risk of breaking the glass. I'm also going to pick up one of those cold knife tools because I'd rather have too many options with me than not enough.

I'm going to say I suspect the autolamps were stuck on for the last many years based on how much dirt and dust is on the light sensor. It probably thought it was night on a permanent basis.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast