New guy, 86 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy, 86 Grand Marquis

Lots of good information here, so i figured i should quit lurking around and introduce myself.
    My name is John, and ill say up front that i am usually a general motors guy, but i enjoy all vehicles (older than around 1995 that is). While i am not a mechanic by trade, I have experience from a very young age. My strong point is wiring/electronics, and my weak point is body work.

I purchased my first "box" a few weeks ago from a family member that has had it for about 3 years, really i have wanted it since he got it. I have always liked the looks and ride these cars have. This one has been sitting for about a year, because nobody could figure out what was wrong with it (missing, no power etc) so i picked it up for almost nothing. It turned out to be a laundry list of issues (return line pinched between tank and body, vacuum leaks, TPS, VERY dirty fuel, etc), but the main one being three bad injectors. I cant remember ever seeing three injectors go bad at the same time, but these did. Probably alot to do with the bad gas. I had some rebuilt 19lb injectors i put in, and even though it is stock other than that, it seems to run fine.

Other than swapping out those wheels that came on it, I am not sure what my future plans are for it. But for now i am going to make it a DD while i think it over.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed all the valuable information contained here, I hope i can Contribute in the future as well.
    Attached Files

Welcome!

These seem to be pretty reliable and the fixes seem to be simple ones but the trouble is having the patience to work out what's going on. Very easy to feel like throwing a Molotov inside when they're not running right or you can't figure out what's going on..

Glad you swapped the wheels out, they don't fit at all haha.

What's the story with the bus???

Also, I'm not a GM, Ford or Chrysler guy, I like 'em all. Right now though our fleet consists mostly of Fords...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yea, those wheels just dont match my preferences...

I got the bus from a client we were doing a job for for free. My intention is to make a camper, but for now it is a man cave... lol It has a 7.3l idi non turbo diesel, and needs an injector pump. That is the main reason it is a man cave for now..

Comment

Yeah I hope you took those wheels out and shot them, or sold 'em to some dildo to put on their escalade. Otherwise, car looks great and welcome to the box madness! It's a lot of fun here and can be infectious. Chances are that if you need information, somebody here has it. That goes for parts too, these guys have hooked me up on multiple occasions. I don't give much back but wise-assery and the occasional extra part from my former cars. We'd love to see your new baby grow up though, it's a hobby here.

Comment

Welcome!

That car looks really clean. Sometime in the distant future I need to get myself down to Texas and pick up a nice clean box, lol. Enjoy the new (to you) ride.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Just an FWI...19lb injectors are not what the vehicle came with stock. Don't know what issues may arise from installing larger injectors in a car with a computer expecting smaller ones is, just making a mention of it.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I was trying to be nice to anyone who might like/have similar wheels.. but I honestly wanted to scrap them so nobody else would ever have to see them again.. lol
              I just happen to have those injectors in my parts collection, and figured free is better. It runs rich and and has a little stutter at idle, so I'll probably replace them later on. Not quite sure what, if any future upgrades I will do so I am keeping that in mind as well.

Comment

I actually don't see too many of the boxes around. That's kinda why I like it, It stands out. I see alot of the newer round body's though.

Comment

There aren't too many boxes around here either but The Scab (my brown '91 MGM) has a twin running round my area and The Ice Car (my crystal blue metallic '91 MGM) has a twin with a dark blue top that I've seen multiple times in the parking lot at work.
                  Even aeros ('92-'97 Crown Vics and Grand Marquis, '90-'97 Town Cars) are becoming fewer around here but still not uncommon. Whales ('98-'11) are everywhere here.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I see a few ratty box TC's every now and again. Saw a clapped out Mark VII yesterday that made mine look good.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      I see a few ratty box TC's every now and again. Saw a clapped out Mark VII yesterday that made mine look good.
                      The last two pre-'87 Grand Marquis I've seen have completely toast rear springs and equally clapped out exterior. This resulted in my '87 falling into your last statement. Funny how stuff like that works out.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yeah that's how my Fury was before I adjusted the torsion bars up front. I call that the "hooptie lean".

Getting so much flak for driving that VII to work. The take-away from it is "Be like the hive or else." Well, they can take that shit and go fuck themselves with it

Comment

One of the few benefits to being here in Southern Commiefornia is that these cars don't rust out from under us. That said, I mostly see box town cars with the occasional vic or GMQ thrown in, but most have ratty tops and the dash pads and c-pillar fabric tends to expire. My latest '90 is mostly better in these areas with the exception of the dash. Far as driving what everyone else does Derek, you're spot on; fuck 'em. One of the idiots I work with bought a used BMW that's a year or two old and was whining about it being in the shop, again. I laughed and explained how my 30 year-old Ford has had less problems and also cost me a fraction of what he paid. Didn't want to talk about it.

Comment

Hah, funny you mention that. GF has a co-worker who did the same thing. In order to get said BMW she rolled the loan from her previous car on top of the BMW. Always in the shop or some error light is on. Can barely afford to put food on the table yet, BMW! Status yo. Me? I've got nothing to prove and at the end of the day, I like my ratty stuff so long as I can jump in and go anywhere at any time. So that stuff means nothing, especially and I mean especially if you bought it used. Bet my neighbors miss the people who sold my house to me.

Comment

Welcome! Your knowledge of wiring/electronics is a bonus.
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X