Intermittent surging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent surging?

Lately i've been experiencing what is almost like a surging type issue, but only sometimes. One day I had been driving probably 50 miles before it started. And sometimes it's apparent as soon as I start the car in the morning. When it happens, the car almost acts like its being choked while trying to accelerate, and also surges while idling. The check engine light has only came on once btw. Seems like it may possibly be the IAC causing the problem? Where is it located? And any tips about changing it? Or am I going in the wrong direction..

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

The IAC is located just the driver side of the intake elbow on the back of the intake. It's a PITA to get at. Check for cracked/broken/slipped off vacuum lines and if you do attack the IAC, take off the intake elbow and clean the EGR channels while you're at it. That's a usual cause of stupid running in the early aeros. You'll want a new gasket for that. You may also want to take the EGR off and clean that too while you're in there. A small flat screwdriver and q-tips are your friends. Shove a rag into the intake opening if you do that so all that crap doesn't go down the hole.

But first... before anything else... disconnect the MAF sensor. If the idle doesn't change, or gets better, the MAF is the/a issue. Try cleaning the sensor. (Contact cleaner or Mass airflow sensor cleaner and just spray the wires from the front side of the sensor. DO NOT TOUCH them.) If cleaning it doesn't help, replace it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What sly said about the MAF.

While it wasn't a Ford, my old Grand Am did something similar on start up until I cleaned the MAF. After that it was back to being happy like a pig in shit.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks guys, the car isn't my DD anymore, so I havent attacked it just yet. That IAC definitely looks fun to replace though..

Comment

Ok so it's been a while but I finally got around to trying to address this problem. It is STILL an off and on issue. Sometimes the car runs great, and sometimes it acts like it is being choked. Here is what I have done so far.
          -Replaced the TPS
          -Removed and cleaned IAC, reinstalled with new gasket
          -Removed throttle body and cleaned EGR passages, reinstalled with new gasket.
          -New vacuum lines (basically any and every one I could find that was old and deteriorating)
          -Fuel filter replaced about a year ago

The IAC was very dirty, but I figured cleaning the OEM unit might be better than replacing it with a cheap part store one. If that still sounds like the culprit, maybe I should replace it with a Motorcraft? I'm just getting very frustrated with this beast.

Comment

I recently replaced the IAC on my Expedition with one from Airtex/Wells and it worked without having to reset the PCM. I'd call that a good part. As with anything these days, YMMV. I tried cleaning mine first and reinstalled it. It worked great for about 3-5 seconds and then completely died. Yours may be sticky internally in the motor and not just from the crud in the valve. It may also have crud in the plunger guide causing it to stick. I'd go for replacing the whole IAC at this point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

have you cleaned the MAF ?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                have you cleaned the MAF ?
                Yes, with a MAF specific cleaner

Comment

Intake manifold leaks? O2 woes?
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yep, if you replace the IAC and it still happens, i'd be looking for vacuum leaks but definitely start there.

Comment

I have been experiencing this for a while now and it's driving me nuts. The check engine light stays on while this is happening. The last time this went on for about 20 miles and quit, then the car was back to normal. So far I have replaced the TPS, cleaned out the egr passages on the intake under the throttle body elbow, cleaned the MAF, and IAC, and replaced the spark plugs. Anywho, I checked for codes today and got 53, 66, 32, and 13. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I will add, for the most part, (with the exception of what may be a slight misfire it idle sometimes) the car runs great.

Comment

Have you unplugged the MAF to see if it changes? May just have a bad one.

Comment

Yes, doesn't seem to change anything. I tried it before and after cleaning.

Comment

94 should be 3 digit codes. Can you confirm what you're getting and under what conditions ?
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X