Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smog Pump Delete Fuel Milage

Hey guys/gals,

I rerouted the belt on my '89 CS as the smog pump was rattling pretty bad. Before I did this I was getting 17-18 in the city and 24 on the highway. Afterwards I'm lucky if I get 14 city and 17 highway. Do I still have to plug off the air pipes on the back of the heads or is this just the nature of the beast? Any help is appreciated.

Is your smog pump and system still in place? You should be okay as far as air pipes go if this is the case. If not, you should plug them because there would be an exhaust leak.

I have experienced similar MPG in my 88 after smog removal, although in theory it should it should have minimal, if any effect as long as the cats stay free flowing. I have no answer for you there.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That is odd. When I removed my air pump, my mpg increased slightly. The old pump was putting a drag on the system I guess.

I wonder if the exhaust gas is building up somewhere in the system and putting an extra drain the engine?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
      George Burns

Comment

Could be a set of bad cats. Thing stinks like hell when you put the pedal down. Only has 55k miles on it so I wouldn't think that would be the issue. I'll also check the exhaust system for any dents, who knows what I may have done while I was hooning.

Comment

bad smell sounds like rich fuel mix. If the ports are open on the back of the heads and its sucking air, it will screw with what the oxygen sensor sees. Extra air will cause the ECM to richen the fuel mix. Might be worth unhooking the rubber hose going to that pipe and putting a cap over it just as a test.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X