Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust

Okay guys, so I just got back from a 2 week vacation in California. I turned on the mercury and my exhaust is 10x quieter than when I left. Is this supposed to be normal? The car wasn't touched nor moved in those 2 weeks. Any ideas?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

sure you didn't spend too much time around loud things and destroy your ears? Either that or the magic muffler fairy felt bad for you and replaced parts without your knowing.

Or maybe some critter crawled up in there and died. Dunno, can't honestly say I've heard of exhaust getting quieter on it's own.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I asked my wife and she said it sounded alot quieter than before. It feels like I lost a bit of power but it could just be me

Comment

If a cat/muffler has a blockage, the noise characteristics could change based on the blockage moving. But this wouldn't be "off like a lightswitch", it would change more dramatically...

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

If there is a blockage, best way to remove it ? I drove it on the highway for a good half hour last night. Everything working good

Comment

hAVE YOU GOT DUALS AND STILL HAVE cats?
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Remember when my zephyr plugged the cat. It always kinda droned around then went dead quiet one night. Put my hand by the exhaust pipe and it was barely a breath. Car was way down on power too. High-flow cat and a flowmaster later, I had a UPS truck! Ran 100x better too. If you have a single, see how much exhaust you feel coming out of it.

Comment

I have dual 2.5 pipes. 2 high flow cats with x pipe and dynomax bullet mufflers.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Dunno, can't honestly say I've heard of exhaust getting quieter on it's own.
                  It actually does just the opposite as the glass packing (if do equipped) fills up with exhaust crap. Typically a diesel issue if engine runs a bit on the sooty side, but oil burning is something the 302s are well known for as well and that has the same effect given enough time.

May be spot on with the critter thing tho, way to check for that would be if one tail pipe blows more exhaust than the other - since they're connected if one muffler is blocked off by means of pack rat nest all the exhaust will exit out the other side, and since pipes are quite large this will not cause a significant drop in performance.

I wouldn't suspect a converter issue as those are upstream of the x-pipe, so if one screws up that whole side of the engine will not breather out right and that will be pretty evident in the way the engine runs.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

So if a converter fills up with exhaust crap it gets louder? I'm going to head home in a an hour or two so I'll double check and take video of both exhausts

Comment

When my factory converters got clogged the car did not get loud. It lost top end power and ran like ultra crap when I put my foot in it hard.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

https://youtu.be/7ju9eQCADtA

Comment

I tripled checked the exhaust these past few days and both pipes act the same. I suppose Imma have to live with it until I can get another custom exhaust put on

Comment

Working...
                          X