No announcement yet.

Sly's 2003 Expedition XLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the light spread using the LED's in the stock housings?

Those look great btw. Cutoff is perfect. I'm glad someone on this planet knows how to properly adjust their headlights.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I didn't adjust anything. I found LEDs that are made correctly with the chips in the filament position and they lock into place in a side fire setup. Most of the current generation are setup that way though. I haven't driven it at night yet, but from what I can see in my driveway, it's the exact same spread as the halogens, but just a little brighter and 5K instead of 3500K color. The color also helps signs "pop" more at night as I've been using that on my 93 for a long time now. Same story on the 93. Absolutely plug and play on that one. No loads needed for LCM shenanigans. They are NOT blue. I know some folks with those 9000K bulbs and those are absolutely crap. Can't see much of anything.

If anyone cares, this is the set I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K43XKDF/
      The same set was used for the Expedition and the 93. I have not done such shenanigans with my wife's 2000 though. It does apear that Sealight makes good stuff. The other lights (parking/signal/brakes/reverse) I used Auxito branded sets. Resistor loads on the tail lights (one per side for the no flash issue on the vic) on both and front blinkers as well on the Expedition (because of the fast flash issue - though I found out yesterday that the flasher relays can be changed and no resistors are required).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Have a few questions pertaining to these lights. Are they US legal (seems to be some question on this)? Any FM interference? Do they fit exactly into the stock headlight assemblies? Can you sue the OEM switch to go from low to high beams and does hi beam stay on without holding the switch? Will post more if I think of anything else.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Pulled the trigger on a set of the x1 9007's, price was right on Amazon Canada and the submitted photos with beam spread on the road looked better than most.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
            Have a few questions pertaining to these lights. Are they US legal (seems to be some question on this)? Any FM interference? Do they fit exactly into the stock headlight assemblies? Can you sue the OEM switch to go from low to high beams and does hi beam stay on without holding the switch? Will post more if I think of anything else.
            US legal - yes (light output is proper), at least in Texas. The housings are regulated more than the bulbs. At least around here, nobody cares as long as the pattern is good and the intensity is not stupid bright. I have not checked the exact legal statutes though. I would not call them HID level bright, but they are probably around silverstar brightness.
            RF interference - no
            Fit exactly - yes
            Ues OEM switches - yes (with the load caveat mentioned on the high beams for my expedition for the fogs to work right - only an issue with vehicles that have stock fog lights that are disabled with the high beams on)
            Need to hold switch for high beams - no

Obviously this is on an older vehicle that doesn't have CAN monitoring and only needs loads for ground referencing for the flasher circuit or fog lights. Other vehicles may require different mods. Not sure what whales would need (if anything) different from what I've done to the Expedition.
            Last edited by sly; 03-18-2022, 07:21 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks for answering all my question on this!
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Shot of the throw from my dashcam. Same pattern as the halogens, but more solid light output. It's about 5000K color rather than the about 3500K of the halogens. I refuse to use a color higher than that.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	driving.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1290074

Comment

I think I'm going to add a set of these to my wishlist. Anything to help me see better but not be annoying to other drivers seems like a win to me.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice throw. I recieved my set of those lights in 9007 flavor, once I swap them out I'll post how the crown vic housings throw the light.

Comment

I know the aero likes them.

Comment

Pic of the fire extinguisher mounted on that fence bracket.

Name:	ExpExtinguisher.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1290176

Comment

New buttons. No they don't control anything... yet.
                          ON has to be pushed to activate EMP. (Even More Power? )

Name:	Buttons.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1290528

Comment

I figured that was for the electromagnetic pulse that would cause a brief blackout in the grid allowing for random shenanigans
                            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                              I figured that was for the electromagnetic pulse that would cause a brief blackout in the grid allowing for random shenanigans
                              that's an interesting idea... shhh

Comment

Autolamps are triggered all the time now. I think the light sensor died and thinks it's dark at all times. Don't have access to the body module. Stuff I have can only access 06+ IIRC. So parts cannon it is. Starting with the sensor. Everything else seems to be working properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X