Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review on my new tires (Cooper CS5 Grand Touring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review on my new tires (Cooper CS5 Grand Touring)

So as some of you know, I had a tire in one of my tires and I uploaded a photo of it. People have pointed out that the tires are starting to crack and I should be careful with them.

I've decided to replace all the tires as a safety precaution. I then researched for the best tire with a budget of $170 per tire. I have a friend who is in the tire industry and she of course right out of the hand said "Good years or Michelins", but I wanted to see all my options.

I then went on Lexus forums and a person that owns a Lexus LS said that he purchased Cooper CS5's and said that it was a lot better than his OEMs.

I then looked up the tire and saw that it does VERY well in the rain and is very quiet. I then settled with those. The tires were about only 150 each after balancing and tax and the total for the sets came out to $600. I right away noticed that they were quiet. They reminded me of my OEM Michelin symmetry's.

I then took them out on the highway in the rain. I was going about 70-80mph and they seemed glued to the ground. I then hit a couple of water puddles and it cut through it like butter. I remember the michelins having problems with puddles, but these handled them like they weren't even there! If I hit the gas hard with traction control off, it slips very minimally and I take off. If these were my Toyo's, I would be in the same spot with the tires spinning. I also had to do an emergency braking on the highway going 50MPH in the rain (traffic came to a surprise halt) and these stopped like it was dry!

The only issue I noticed with these are that they are very floaty. I feel like I need to correct myself a lot more on the highway as oppose to the Toyo Extensas. This was a similar issue with the Michelin symmetry's.

So I totally recommend this tire. I think this tire can compete with the higher named tire brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typically when the tires feel floaty... they are overinflated and riding the center tread more than the rest. I always check inflation as soon as I get home from the tire shop and find that there's at least 3-5psi difference between tires. After I level them all out at a nice 32-35psi, depending on the tire, it tends to track straight again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The dirt pattern on your thread looks good though. What pressure are you running? Do as Sly suggests, maybe drop a couple pounds and see how it is, and check the dirt pattern, if you see it curling up the side of the tire, you are wayyy too low in pressure. (I wouldn't go below 34 pounds, I find tires get to be pigs if they are a sloppy from lower pressure)

Alex.

Comment

I always ran 35-37 on my 04 MGM. It seemed the best balance of ride and control.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Nothing like new tires, well almost nothing.

I run the CS5's on the wifes' Escape for summer tires. I am pretty happy with them. Happy with all of the Coopers I have bought in the last few years.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Same tires I have on mine. They seem happy about 35 psi. Beyond that its floaty, under that its mushy.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The Michelin Defenders like 35 PSI all around. The Pirelli P7s on the Cake seem to like 32-33psi.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Cooper Made in AMERICA *FUCK YEAH*!
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

i have three of the cooper cs5's on my 06........two of them i got in 2015, and one i got this week.
                  Great tire! i run 40 psi, i like my tires well inflated.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Not only are Cooper tires made here as far as I know they and Goodyear are the only USA owned tires companies left.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

prob vouge also.

uniroyal went to indonesia.........found that out pricing some tiger paw tourings for the lss, no wonder they are cheap.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        i have three of the cooper cs5's on my 06........two of them i got in 2015, and one i got this week.
                        Great tire! i run 40 psi, i like my tires well inflated.
                        Your old Mark is sporting 3 coopers, I just date checked them and they will most likely get replaced with new coopers due to my recent outstanding luck with old tires lol. I put Firestones on the Town Car and those were made in America, I really like those tires.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

they arent that old, they will be fine as long as there are no cracks., i put two of them on there, not awful long ago.

Comment

cs4's iirc

Comment

Nice looking tires. How's their cornering response?

Comment

Working...
                              X