PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 86 colony park

n00b

Default 86 colony park

whats going on everyone.. names joe new to the group here. I just got me a brand new 1986 grand marquis colony park. Ill gladly take any tips and tricks for this vehicle. just got a tune up and new breaks. however my mechanic could not fix my back window or air conditioner. said he was having a hell of a time finding parts...with that said. i can do with out the air if the back window went down or vice versa lol. any help id greatly appreaciate it. thank you in advance.

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

Welcome!

You're in the right place to get advice for fixing your issues.
    I can't help you with the AC, but plenty of members here can give you advice on that.

When you say the back window you mean the tailgate window right? (Otherwise I'm not sure what the mechanic's hang up wold be.) It's been a while since I've had a wagon, but I do believe the back window motor was the same as one from one of the front doors if that is the problem. If there is some other mechanical issue with that window I won't have any advise but I'm sure someone else here will.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I post a lot...

Welcome.

If you could be more specific about AC parts I would say an answer would likely be had.

The rear window motor is the same as two of the other motors but can't remember which right now. If I remember correctly LF & RR are the same and RF & LR are the same. Not saying the motor is your problem but the cheap replaceable internal bushings often go.

There are people here who can help you find many parts. Also Rockauto.com is your friend. There is a discount code found in the forum of vendors.

Jay

PS my wagon went down for the count and did not get back up.
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

Welcome. I know there have been issues finding other parts for the tailgate, like the seals, but not sure what you need to fix. I've luckily never had an issue there...aside from water getting in since the seal is not great.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 111k miles, towing package with 3.55 trac-lok...347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Southern

It's a real TREAT to replace the tailgate window. Ratcheting wrench for however big the window motor bolts are. It can be done. Mines been done by a shop before I bought it in 2013

Welcome. You'll find these cars very easy to service and maintain for the most part.

A/C parts should be easy to find for an 86. Rear window motors are available as well; typically that's the problem there as long as everything is lubed up good.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've changed tailgate window motors before. Annoying, but nothing you can't do. Motor is just a motor, don't recall anything special about it. Its probably the same as one of the doors, but I do not know which one. If you don't have the rear spoiler thing though you're likely to get exhaust fumes in the car, especially if someone replaced the tailpipe with a sedan one. Wagon ones come out the side, sedan comes out thte back.

AC is also no big deal. I replaced all of the parts on mine several years ago, and at the time it was all available. Usually the hoses leak at the connections, sometimes the compressor seals fail. Driers can be had, condensors can be had and they are a better design than the original besides.

Rockauto might have all you need. Short of that, what exactly can't you find? Someone probably knows a source. Depending where in the great Garden State you live, I may be able to direct you to a guy that knows these cars well, and owns an 86 Vic with working AC.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

GMN Regular

Welcome! Post some pics of your ride in the near future.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *Parts car. Do you need any parts?*
    '94 Crown Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I don't want my Ford products exposed to the winters here.

I post a lot...

A few weeks ago I saw a wagon owner at BJ's in Deptford NJ.... told him about this place. OP is this you?
    2015 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Sapphire Blue/Titanium)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble