PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: new to site, been creeping a few weeks here are some pics

Default new to site, been creeping a few weeks here are some pics

this is my 1989 mercury colony park. I have been looking for one for years now. I wanted an 89 because I didnt want Airbags and I dont like the dashes on 90-91. I do like the rounder front ends on the 88 up. I have really wanted a Country squire but am now glad I went with the merc. It has zero rust and the inside is like brand new. I installed a Double din dvd as you can see in the pic, wasnt happy at all with looks and have molded a factory dashkit from a newer titan to bring the radio out flush. I wrapped it in wood grain vinyl but am not happy with the vinyl. I will post more pics when its perfect. I am not a big fan of having an engine light tell me there is a problem when its too late. Didnt want to put gauges in the dash on pass side, Or on a pillar, for me thats for newer cars and doesnt blend well. I also wanted the gauges to somewhat match the factory color and design. Autometer makes silver faced gauges with red needles, and I was thinking of just painting my factory needles red, until I saw the price of those. I did a ton of research and found the gauges I have. they are sterling series by sierra, and they are for a boat. they do the same thing as any other gauges and cost 75 shipped for all 3. I was researching gauge pods and found one made my autometer for newer superdutys that puts them up at the top of the windshield. I ordered it and did some slight mods and i think it looks great. I also ordered these riddler 18s. my plans are to lower, paint, system (not too crazy) duals with flowmasters, tint, and poss gt40 intake heads and a cam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170708_153741_resized.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	47914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170708_153730_resized.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	47915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170709_093425_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	47916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170709_093419_resized.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	47917  

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The Mercury has better trim on the outside anyway. If you look at a lot of the CS you'll see where the plastic wrap is shrinking and coming apart. Makes the trim look crappy.

I like the gauge pod, thats really slick. Have not seen that before, but its a nice fit. The gauges are also a nice match. How is the illumination vs the stock instruments?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

kk
    Last edited by gtracer95; 07-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.

I have noticed that on the crown vic trim. Im going to redo the wood on the sides with a darker wood. not sure what im going to do with the trim yet, thought about polishing but it seems like a neverending battle.
    i had put green leds in the cluster so I put them in the gauges also. they arent crazy bright but the look great at night. I will post a night pic soon

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Welcome!

+1, the gauge pod is neat.

Your Colony Park looks to be the same color that my '88 Country Squire was. I sure do miss that car, but the '90+ dash has grown on me and I think if I ever get another wagon (in the very distant future) I would like to get a '90-'91.

Very nice looking wagon you have there.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Gauge cluster is sweet. How's the line of sight readability going down the road (are they easy to glance at). Underdash not very easy to see while driving; I can pretty much only check mine while not watching the road which isn't cool...
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yeah mine are down below where the ash tray was, so its not convenient to glance at them.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

+1 on the gauges. Very nice. Mine are also down below on my box (for sale) and angled a little towards the driver so it's not so hard to just glance and make sure the needle is in the usual place, but your setup would be much better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Beautiful. Excellent work. LOVE the overhead gauge pod install. Wagon looks killer. Stepping her up to an HO conversion will make you super happy. They need a bit more pep.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Nice work. Is yours a white interior? I removed the ext vinyl off mine thirteen years ago and have never regretted it. There are lots of mods to make it handle and stop better and even go a little quicker.

Donald

GMN Regular

Welcome!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *Parts car. Do you need any parts?*
    '94 Crown Victoria

the gauges are supposed to go there just not on our cars. they about 2 inches above the mirror so they are a perfect hight for easy to see and read. the interior and exterior are both tan.

She's a beauty and I also love that gauge pod. May actually do gauges in my car now. Never wanted to because there just didn't seem to be a way that didn't look super-hokey. Where did you get that pod? Oh, and welcome to the site!

Looks like Autometer 18017 to me. 18022 is a 2 gauge pod.

Also, a little off topic (sorry), but I've wondered if steering column shrouds from an F-series truck (or '95+ panther) would fit a '90+ panther which would then allow for steering column mounted pods like Autometer 15005 (or 15011 w/manual trans swap/floor shifter). According to a picture from drock96marquis (toward the bottom of the page) 15005 has been used on whale CV.

Alright, enough of that. Carry on and again, welcome to the OP.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Welcome!

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

i spent about two weeks trying to find a gauge pod that wouldnt look bad. I dont think a pillar pods look good in older cars besides maybe foxbody mustangs. during my search I found this one from autometer. its made for newer superdutys and dodge rams. i had to trim some off the back and put screws threw the pod into the edge of trim going across the windshield so it is very secure. it was also black and i used vinyl dye, its close enough.

i dont know about the 90-91 column, the 89 doesnt have the airbag, it looks just like the 87-91 f series columns. I will be relocating my cruise buttons and installing a new steering wheel soon, am also thinking about putting a b&m floor shifter in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtracer95 View Post
    i dont know about the 90-91 column, the 89 doesnt have the airbag, it looks just like the 87-91 f series columns. I will be relocating my cruise buttons and installing a new steering wheel soon, am also thinking about putting a b&m floor shifter in it.
    Yep, whole different steering column setup on the '90+ panthers.
    I did get to drive Mr Landyacht's '88(?) Grand Marquis with a ratchet floor shifter before he sold it a few years ago, that was fun.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I post a lot...

I had a ratchet shifter on a full manual reverse pattern vb. That was cool, but I went back to a 5 speed.

Nice wagon, looks great on those 18's.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....
    '91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...