A/C cutout relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C cutout relay?

Ok, so here is my problem. Something has been draining my battery lately. Within 2 days it dies, from a full charge. Battery is new, alternator is new. I have used a voltmeter across the negative battery cable and the negative battery post, while pulling fuses and the number varied only slightly between fuses. I then got to this box (pictured). There are 3 relays in there. I noticed the "A/C CUTOUT RELAY" relay was quite warm to the touch. Once I pulled it, the number on the voltmeter dropped significantly. What is this relay for? What's it do? This dead battery thing is driving me nuts, and I think this may be the culprit. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_164001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1303963Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_164001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1303963

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Relay turns off a/c at high loads/ wide open throttle/ start up. This would only be powered and grounded when the key would be turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Relay turns off a/c at high loads/ wide open throttle/ start up. This would only be powered and grounded when the key would be turned on.
      Any idea why it would be warm, almost hot?

Comment

If the ECC relay isn't turning off, that could be why. It provides the power for the rest of the relays in the car (coil side). The WOT relay is the only one that's normally closed though. This may also indicate that the ECM isn't shutting down all the way either... which may indicate other issues may be at work as well like a shorted ignition switch. Easy way to test is to swap the ECC and fuel pump relays and see if the fuel pump stays running with the key on, engine off. May just need to replace those relays.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm, I have multiple extra relays around so I did replace the 3 in there. We'll see if that changes anything

Comment

If not... I'd place my bets on a short in the ignition switch or some wiring between the relays and the switch (which would be a bitch to trace).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              If not... I'd place my bets on a short in the ignition switch or some wiring between the relays and the switch (which would be a bitch to trace).
              No thank you! Haha

Anyway, replaced the relays and the car hasn't been touched since then. Just tried and it fired right up, didn't even feel weak. Normally it would have been almost completely dead in that time frame. I'm really hoping the problem is fixed now. The car needs to be my DD again soon

Comment

pop out the relay pack again and feel the relays. If they're not all hot and bothered... you're probably good.

Comment

shitty contacts inside the relay or at the socket will also make it hot. Its passing the compressor current through those contacts any time the AC is on. Sometimes the springs get weak inside the relays and it doesn't make solid contact. This one relies entirely on spring pressure to make the connection, it doesn't pull in like the others do.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I haven't noticed the relays hot at all since replacing them. Maybe things are finally going in the right direction. The car has fired right up every time. I guess I need to let it sit for a few days and try again, that would be a true test.. Thanks to everyone that helped out

Comment

Working...
                    X