PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a Subaru, I think I'm in love...

not embarrassed on a scooter 85crownHPP's Avatar

Seek and ye shall find!!!!

and uhhhhhhh, I'm buying an '02 Outback next weekend...
    heated leather seats, sunroof, shiny paint it spent the bulk of its recent years being serviced at my shop... don't judge meeeee!

Nice subby, those wheels will look good on it. We had a 2000. Bad year, so many issues. By 02 they fixed a lot of those issues, but just be prepared to replace the head gaskets, if they havent been replaced yet. They still used the cheap gaskets and they like to leak externally.
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-20-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

+1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

boxer engines with water is just such an unnatural design.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

You have a pm.

I got a fever, and the only cure is more Subaru!!!! Anyone want to buy the '85???

Service records show that the head gaskets have already been done, timing belt / WP /kit done twice New axles, front wheel bearings, tune-ups, and a long a thorough service history. I'm kinda sad that I can't find fance aftermarket LED/halo headlight assemblies, but really that's a good thing, money better spent wisely elsewhere
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2roo2.jpg   02i.jpg   2roo.jpg  

fomoco panthers !

Very clean Subaru. Nice colors. Subaru had a recall on the anti lock brake unit on the 02s. You might see if yours has been done. My 03 had the 02 part. Just past the cut off date and was defective. New part was an expensive,dealer only part. Put an used 05 part on it. Worked fine.
    Another tip. Always use Subaru oil filters. or at least high quality filters. The Subaru filters for your years were made in Japan. New model ones are made for Subaru by Fram. (not as good).
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 11-29-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Ooh, Outback sedan! Usually see that body style much more often in wagon type than sedan type (same goes for the Legacy models of the same period), so I'd consider it a bit more uncommon.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

HHhhmmm, thanks for the heads up about the ABS... I'm expecting it to work when I try to go down my steep but short last stretch of driveway when it snows!!!
    And about the oil filters... do you know 'who' makes Subaru filters these days??? I hear there are only really 3 or 4 plants making any oil filters (that we can get anyways...) so if I can find an equivalent... I definitely plan to not spare that expense though... would you recommend running synthetic in it at this point? It doesn't leak or burn any, relatively speaking
    I got a 'new' set of tires on it, thankfully it took away all the terrible wheel/road roaring wub wub wub noise (I figured it would, but was worried a bit!!...)
    I thought the brakes were starting to grind a little too but de-glazing the pads took care of that (or the flash rust wore off...)
    I guess the tire noises came on gradually, I wouldn't think she'd have put up with that ruckus... they were pretty loud. Of course plus her husband (my buddy) had been driving it for the last 6 months or so...
    And yes, I agreed to by this thing without even a test drive... I 'knew' (ASSumed) it wouldn't have anything major wrong... risky yes, but it made it more exciting with a slight element of danger
    But really I know this girl serviced it regularly and at least can identify when a transmission is shifting different or poorly/erratically and so on... plus I rode in it within the last year or so...
    Plus she said drive it for a while before you pay me ... so it wasn't quite so risky lol... But I've definitely committed now...

Anyway, my only concern now is a bit of rough vibrate-y resonance that only happens in gear while stopped/idling... I suspect an exhaust dampener/hanger got eliminated, as I saw one (the only one besides what's on the muffler??) hanger was gone and replaced with a solid metal one?? Replacing it with a 'swiveler' helped a little, but they are still kinda stiff too. Gonna try to get a doughnut style one on it soon... otherwise it freakin' dreamy Toasty buns from those seats are awesome... sunroof, awesome... Proper ditch/puddle lights in the doors with LED panel bulb replacements in them, awesome. Hopefully soon working remote start (may be just the batteries in the FOBs), maybe awesome... It's nothing like driving a couch down the road though. I need to decide to either keep (and fix) the 91 or the 85, which needs a little less fixing, but is rusting out slowly... eeerrgggg decisions....

LED DRL type things and 'check yo oil' lights I put some in the trunk too. Installed a trunk lift spring from a newer Legacy, it's pretty much the same as far as I can tell, except a bit stronger. Enough that I want to dampen it somehow lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 94LED.jpg  

Believe it or not, it fits

yes that amp will be upgraded with haste

PS, what you can't see is that tire has 'almost' no tread on it. Some things about Pete will never change
    Don't worry, the ones on the road have very adequate tread depth and vitality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fss94.jpg  

Better than nothing as a back up. Will get you somewhere in a pinch if needed.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

fomoco panthers !

Make sure you disable the AWD at the fuse box when using the spare. Difference in tire size and depth over 2/32 will seriously mess up your car. If you ruin one tire, you have to replace all four on a Subaru. Not just two like many think. Always get the tire protection plan on new tires with a Subaru.

More LED's and sound response

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 94clRoo1.jpg   ledMB.jpg   94mnc.jpg  

That would be annoying as frig while driving.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12