Bought a Subaru, I think I'm in love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a Subaru, I think I'm in love...

So not too long after the '91 blew a head gasket, the truck again left me stranded until it cooled off (it's an ongoing thing I keep thinking I've fixed...), thankfully I hadn't make it to the landfill yet :lol:
    Not having a 'proper' 4-wheeled secondary ride started making the uncertainty/anxiety procrastination fueling stress level rise... until I happened to mention to a friend "I should have bought that Subaru when I had the chance..."
    I had pondered the idea when I thought it was AWD, it'd had been parked for a while and had the feeling it'd be cheap.
    But sure enough his buddy that was supposed to buy from him wound up driving it for a month with expired tags, never paying him, and just returning it with a new battery it.
    And now it's mine!

It's a '94 Legacy 2.2L FWD, power options, possibly even working A/C once I put a belt tensioner pulley on it. Even though it's not AWD I'm sure it'll do me better in the snow, especially since it has ABS. I also noticed it still has a front differential even though it's only FWD, hopefully giving me some of that "wheels that grip" action.
    It's got almost 200k, but the timing belt was recently done, the suspension all seems to be in good shape, even the CV boots look fresh and the transmission fluid is clean. It burns/leaks oil like they all do, but not nearly as bad as some!
    It needed 4 tires, luckily I was able to swipe a good set from a junk Caddy. They barely fit but don't rub, after I worked on the fender dent in front of the LF wheel
    The driver's side has a couple rusty battle wounds, the clear coat is in that awesome half-gone transitional phase on the top panels, but the passenger side looks decent.
    The trunk lid tension rod is broken, but strategic placement of two drum brake hold-down springs lets it 'pop' enough from the interior lever to stay un-latched enough to open (the trunk key cylinder is bad)
    The hand brake button/spring were MIA, rendering it useless, but some observational analysis and 'stare-at-everything-in-the-Lowe's-hardware-trays' type brainstorming made quick work of that.
    The driver's auto-retracting shoulder belt was stuck forward, but I was able to manually crank it back to where it needed to be to use it. I had to unplug the motor too, since it has no problem going back to the forward position :lol: I learned that the seat belt module has four relays in it that like to go bad, two for each belt. I might dig it out one day...
    The lower radiator and bypass hose were pretty swollen from oil contamination, so I replaced them and all the topside ones (originals) in one swoop, hooray RockAuto for their cheap rubbers.
    Neither passenger side speaker works, the rear one isn't getting an audio signal, so hopefully slapping in an old aftermarket deck will solve that.
    This is one of those cars where the whole center dash is a stack of DIN-width goodness, and I think I'll have room left to also try to slip in one of those thin 1/2 DIN size pop-out coin trays you find in some 90's Fords :banana: (I love those things for some reason...)

I think my favorite part about it is the center console and other random flat spots and little cubby holes to put stuff Also there are a few pop-out blank plates here and there for easy installation of switches and other such goodies.
    This thing glides down the road effortlessly, and 10 bucks of gas lasts a week instead of a few days. Since I've been driving it, my desire to fix the 91' has reached an all time low. I know it's not a terrible lot, but I just can't see putting the money and time into it, to have two land yachts that I won't be driving daily... I still love the car, but I've recently learned that attachment to things ultimately only brings sadness
    And I generally loathe working on cars these days, doing it for a living really takes that spark out of you lol... But fiddling with this Subaru gives me that fizzy feeling again, especially since it seems that parts are still plenty available and cheap, and since this thing doesn't seem too hard to work on.
    I have a friend that's always liked my cars and seems much more interested in replacing its head gaskets than I am, so I'll probably just give it to him if he really wants it to drive. If that falls through, I'd be glad to extend that offer to anyone here that wants to come haul it away. It's in about as good of shape as you could hope for except for faded paint and raggedy top, the transmission is fairly fresh too. I'd be keeping the stereo and P71 airbox (it has a HO upper/TB on it), and putting stock steel wheels & crap tires on it.
    Worst case, I'm pretty sure my old high school automotive school (where it all started) still takes donor cars for the kids to practice on.

Attached Files
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Neat! Not too many older Subarus down here unfortunately. Plenty of newer stuff, however. I've always been a fan of the '90s Legacy wagons.

The most unusual Subaru I've seen down here is a SVX. A little old lady has it and it is in immaculate shape. It's a jade green metallic color with a gray interior.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

We're on our 8th Subaru 4wd wagon. Best country car since the model T.

Donald

Comment

Mixed emotions here Pete!
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

it says U R A BUS in reverse. *meep*meep*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is a used Suburu dealer here in Connecticut. They advertise in the local papers and car dealer ads. They boast, "WE REPLACE ALL HEAD GASKETS AND TIMING BELTS BEFORE WE SELL YOU A CAR"! Doesn't sound like a great car to me.
            WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
              There is a used Suburu dealer here in Connecticut. They advertise in the local papers and car dealer ads. They boast, "WE REPLACE ALL HEAD GASKETS AND TIMING BELTS BEFORE WE SELL YOU A CAR"! Doesn't sound like a great car to me.
              WagonMan
              A good many people ignore timing belt services and go until they're almost critical or until something gets mulched. I believe the Subarus definitely need them done within the interval. Some of the motors have head gasket issues, but I'm not sure which ones are the worst.

One of the things I heard to watch out for on the Boxer engines is worn rod bearings. If you keep up with the maintenance, they hold up reasonably well.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Nice Pete. Gotta stay active somehow! Hope the 91 goes to a good home.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                  WagonMan
                  The head gasket failure are the death of many a older Subaru. About 90-100 K and they need replacement along with the associated should replace parts. Cost to replace everything at a shop $1,200-$1,500. They can be bought really cheap, repaired and sold for high book or more. Outstanding winter car. I don't want my Ford products exposed to the winters here.

Comment

Pete take your time on your CV drive the Scooby Do and you will decide to work on the CV. Me I prefer to drive a domestic car but I will drive my Mom's Honda CRV.

Comment

nice pete i approve

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Mixed emotions here Pete!
                        Come eyeball it if you want
                        It's still sitting at work, so even during work hours is doable, if you happen to wander east.
                        My buddy seems to have cold feet, and mine aren't getting any warmer...

I found CD player in the basement I'd forgotten about, slapped it in, still no working speakers on the right side...
                        Anyone know of or fashioned up a creative solution to a 1/2 DIN empty space?? The stock radio is 1.5 DIN, and there is no install kit for this car, since you just re-use the factory mounting brackets. There is also a DIN sized factory storage pocket in there too, so a 1.5 DIN sized something would work if I removed that. I found a 1/2 DIN pocket one can buy, but its a snap-in type deal that looks like it might not sit flush with the dash panel cover and would annoy me
                        I scored a pair of 6 1/2 factory Bose speakers from pick n save to play with, since I want to lube the RF window tracks anyway (might as well be ready to swap something in speakerwise too...)
                        Also put a proper parking brake handle button in, swiped from some other random import from the junkyard.
                        I thought I had a set of sweet chrome trim rings for the wheels too, but alas, they were for 13" wheels... Debating on putting the 14" wire hubcaps from my LTDII on it

The previous owner warned me that it used a quart of oil a week, but he must have been driving the piss out of it all over town, because it's only used a 1/2 quart in the 5 weeks I've been driving it
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The 1.5 DIN thing, look at a U-Pull yard for a '94-up S10/Blazer truck with aftermarket radio. How they usually do it is they use this adapter setup that places the radio up top, and below it is a pocket-thing you can use for change, the radio's remote control, and such. I've also seen them done with a blank flat solid plate instead of the pocket-thing, that's good for installing switches and lights and other such nonsense
                          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Subaru Outbacks 2001-2004 have a filler container with a lid just below the thin,stock am/fm/cd radio. There is a metal bracket on each side behind the trim panel. These brackets hold the radio, heater controls and this container in place. They all just pop out. I think that filler container is what you may want.
                            I have a upgrade Subaru am/fm/cassette/cd stereo available which fills up the standard stereo and filler container spaces. Pm me for any more details.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                              The 1.5 DIN thing, look at a U-Pull yard for a '94-up S10/Blazer truck with aftermarket radio. How they usually do it is they use this adapter setup that places the radio up top, and below it is a pocket-thing you can use for change, the radio's remote control, and such. I've also seen them done with a blank flat solid plate instead of the pocket-thing, that's good for installing switches and lights and other such nonsense
                              Awesome! Exactly the type of lead I was looking for
                              "switches and lights and other such nonsense" - some of my favorite things!!!!!!!!
                              I'd thought about browsing the GM section for ideas, but it was so damn hot, by the time I got through the imports (and Fords of course) I was DONE!

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              Subaru Outbacks 2001-2004 have a filler container with a lid just below the thin,stock am/fm/cd radio.... They all just pop out. I think that filler container is what you may want.
                              Thanks! I'll take a closer look at those next time
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X