Bought a Subaru, I think I'm in love...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    "switches and lights and other such nonsense" - some of my favorite things!!!!!!!!
    Tis exactly why I mentioned it so
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

80s and most 90s Mopars all used 1.5 din with the same kits HRG mentioned above.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

My Uncle has driven many a Subaru to over 300k with routine maintenance. They are good cars. He is in commercial real estate so he drives a LOT. He buys them new for my Aunt, she drives them until his Subaru is dead, then he takes hers and buys her another one. He bought Foresters until they got gigantic, now he has Outbacks. Good cars.
        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Still in love!
          It's been driving/behaving just fine, and I am constantly amazed by how much gas is STILL in the tank! So, I figured I'd fix a couple more things that weren't critical and that the fuel savings would cover anything I didn't already have as far as supplies for a spooge of electro-mojonisation

A full stereo happened, including the 10's that used to be in the '85 (it got the Kicker comp 12"s I scored from a junk pile ) and an old lousy amp I traded someone some other crap for. Its sound surprisingly good!

One of the more strange/unique things I've done includes installing a random hood prop rod in the trunk (one of the lift spring-rods is broken), along with a box panther interior floor lamp unit because I was determined to use the one random white 1156 LED bulb I found while assembling all the random/leftover goodies I had stashed away (like a squirrel and his nuts).

In the pics you can see what I did with that pesky 1/2 DIN space (it's not ideal, but the neato factor is far from wearing off...), the mini volt meter, the USB charge port (I have something neat planned for the old cig lighter housing) and the cell phone holder I made erector set style. I was horridly disgusted with cell phone mount options, as I don't like crap stuck to my windshield, or on the dash, and those vent-clip things just don't seem right. Sure it looks quite strange, but I can place/remove my phone with one hand, it holds it tight, there's space for the charge/audio cables, it doesn't bounce around over bumps, it's EXACTLY where I want it, and it will leave no holes to be seen if I remove it

In the pic of the exterior 'ugly side' I'm trying on 'new' wheel/tire options - I only found 3 of the 16" steel Forester wheels but I still wanted to see how they fit up front with the used rubber I saved for just such and occasion.
          The other is all 4 90's Impreza wheel/hubcaps - I never thought 15" steel would be such an exciting upgrade, or that hubcaps could actually look like not crap. You can also see the nice shiny headlamps I polished up with the stuff we use at work.
          I wanted to find some nice alloy wheels, but didn't find even a pair of any I'd want to use. Patience!

I already want to find a 4wd/waggin' of this era... WTF is happeneing to me...?!?!?!
          Attached Files
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            I never thought 15" steel would be such an exciting upgrade, or that hubcaps could actually look like not crap.
            I feel compelled to elaborate and clarify... I of course was talking about plastic hubcaps you find mostly on 'roller skate' type cars... The proper metal hubcaps on REAL cars are just fine, aside from my general non-preference for hubcaps overall I did try to put the 14" spoke hubcaps from my LTD2 on it, but the difference in wheel offset left nowhere for them to be lol...
            I have a bad habit of (sometimes intentionally, for my own entertainment) wording things poorly and leaving them sounding suggestive and/or open to interpretation... Its gets me in trouble sometimes
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Seek and ye shall find!!!!

and uhhhhhhh, I'm buying an '02 Outback next weekend...
              heated leather seats, sunroof, shiny paint it spent the bulk of its recent years being serviced at my shop... don't judge meeeee!
              Last edited by 85crownHPP; 11-20-2017, 09:38 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Nice subby, those wheels will look good on it. We had a 2000. Bad year, so many issues. By 02 they fixed a lot of those issues, but just be prepared to replace the head gaskets, if they havent been replaced yet. They still used the cheap gaskets and they like to leak externally.
                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-20-2017, 10:14 PM.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

boxer engines with water is just such an unnatural design.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You have a pm.

Comment

I got a fever, and the only cure is more Subaru!!!! Anyone want to buy the '85???

Service records show that the head gaskets have already been done, timing belt / WP /kit done twice New axles, front wheel bearings, tune-ups, and a long a thorough service history. I'm kinda sad that I can't find fance aftermarket LED/halo headlight assemblies, but really that's a good thing, money better spent wisely elsewhere
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Very clean Subaru. Nice colors. Subaru had a recall on the anti lock brake unit on the 02s. You might see if yours has been done. My 03 had the 02 part. Just past the cut off date and was defective. New part was an expensive,dealer only part. Put an used 05 part on it. Worked fine.
                        Another tip. Always use Subaru oil filters. or at least high quality filters. The Subaru filters for your years were made in Japan. New model ones are made for Subaru by Fram. (not as good).
                        Last edited by Mainemantom; 11-29-2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Ooh, Outback sedan! Usually see that body style much more often in wagon type than sedan type (same goes for the Legacy models of the same period), so I'd consider it a bit more uncommon.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

HHhhmmm, thanks for the heads up about the ABS... I'm expecting it to work when I try to go down my steep but short last stretch of driveway when it snows!!!
                            And about the oil filters... do you know 'who' makes Subaru filters these days??? I hear there are only really 3 or 4 plants making any oil filters (that we can get anyways...) so if I can find an equivalent... I definitely plan to not spare that expense though... would you recommend running synthetic in it at this point? It doesn't leak or burn any, relatively speaking
                            I got a 'new' set of tires on it, thankfully it took away all the terrible wheel/road roaring wub wub wub noise (I figured it would, but was worried a bit!!...)
                            I thought the brakes were starting to grind a little too but de-glazing the pads took care of that (or the flash rust wore off...)
                            I guess the tire noises came on gradually, I wouldn't think she'd have put up with that ruckus... they were pretty loud. Of course plus her husband (my buddy) had been driving it for the last 6 months or so...
                            And yes, I agreed to by this thing without even a test drive... I 'knew' (ASSumed) it wouldn't have anything major wrong... risky yes, but it made it more exciting with a slight element of danger
                            But really I know this girl serviced it regularly and at least can identify when a transmission is shifting different or poorly/erratically and so on... plus I rode in it within the last year or so...
                            Plus she said drive it for a while before you pay me ... so it wasn't quite so risky lol... But I've definitely committed now...

Anyway, my only concern now is a bit of rough vibrate-y resonance that only happens in gear while stopped/idling... I suspect an exhaust dampener/hanger got eliminated, as I saw one (the only one besides what's on the muffler??) hanger was gone and replaced with a solid metal one?? Replacing it with a 'swiveler' helped a little, but they are still kinda stiff too. Gonna try to get a doughnut style one on it soon... otherwise it freakin' dreamy Toasty buns from those seats are awesome... sunroof, awesome... Proper ditch/puddle lights in the doors with LED panel bulb replacements in them, awesome. Hopefully soon working remote start (may be just the batteries in the FOBs), maybe awesome... It's nothing like driving a couch down the road though. I need to decide to either keep (and fix) the 91 or the 85, which needs a little less fixing, but is rusting out slowly... eeerrgggg decisions....
                            sigpic

Comment

LED DRL type things and 'check yo oil' lights I put some in the trunk too. Installed a trunk lift spring from a newer Legacy, it's pretty much the same as far as I can tell, except a bit stronger. Enough that I want to dampen it somehow lol...
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not, it fits

yes that amp will be upgraded with haste

PS, what you can't see is that tire has 'almost' no tread on it. Some things about Pete will never change
                                Don't worry, the ones on the road have very adequate tread depth and vitality
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 85crownHPP; 03-11-2018, 01:10 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X