Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EATC question

The car is an 02 crown vic with EATC.
    Temp is cold when it's suppose to be cold and hot when on hot.
    And the blower works on low and high.
    But although I can hear the blower working, very little, almost no air comes out.
    Nothing out the defrost, nothing out the vents and nothing out the floor vents.
    What's the problem?

crap blocking the evap and heater core (dust, hair, dirt buildup) on the blower side of things... a plastic bag or piece of paper in the recirc vent... something wrapped inside the blower squirrel cage (plastic bag typically).

Also... have you checked the individual panel vents to make sure they are open and not shut?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
      The car is an 02 crown vic with EATC.
      Temp is cold when it's suppose to be cold and hot when on hot.
      And the blower works on low and high.
      But although I can hear the blower working, very little, almost no air comes out.
      Nothing out the defrost, nothing out the vents and nothing out the floor vents.
      What's the problem?
      Could be the control head itself. Though most of the time it will default to defrost. I've seen issues where the headunits o ring seals fail and it will cause all kinds of weirdness. But first things first. I'd put the head unit in self test mode and see if you get any codes. To do so, press and hold the off and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the automatic button and release all. It should enter test mode and give codes, if it finds any faults. I've also seen instances where the system will work properly for a little while.

Comment

I had this on my Mark VII. It had an insulation wad from somewhere packing the fan blades.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The ATC was working just fine one minute and not the next. And no matter what I tried I couldn't get the air to come out of anywhere, defrost, vents or floor.
          Then the next day everything was working again as normal? Maybe those O-rings are starting to go bad? I'm waiting for the same thing to happen again. Then maybe I can
          narrow this problem down. Without just throwing a lot of parts and labor at it.

Comment

intermittent sucks
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If there was something blocking airflow perhaps it fell down and could move back to blocking air flow again in the future.

If you get into changing o-rings, I found that the '02 and older stuff wasn't easily serviceable (not serviceable with the tools I had at the time). So the '97 EATC I installed in The Ice Car has an '03+ actuator unit installed which is easily serviceable.
              IIRC, that modification requires two holes drilled in the rear of the head unit for mounting screws, and swapping the '02- electrical connector onto the '03+ actuator assembly. '03+ has a 5 pin connector with 4 grounds (one for each actuator, switched on/off by the main board) and 1 positive shared by all 4 actuators. '02- has an 8 pin connector with 1 ground and 1 positive per each of the 4 actuators. As long as you have each switched ground on the right pin you can use the '03+ assembly in an '02- control head. Each of the 4 actuators is in the same location on both units and the vacuum hookup is the same for both.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Everything points to a bad A/C clutch switch, the one on the side of the dryer.
                I'll find out tomorrow if I'm right.

Comment

Working...
                X