How to silence these dam hubcaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to silence these dam hubcaps?

I know I'm posting again, I might be leasing a new car soon, don't worry lol.

So I bought aftermarket hubcaps on amazon about 3 months ago. They never made noise until a month ago.

They could sound like clicking sound that goes with speed. I tried tightening them and loosening them and they seems to change the noise a little bit. Some days it will make the noise, and some days it won't.

I noticed it makes the noise when it's colder or humid out.

What can I put on the hubcaps to silence them?

Here is a video of it

https://streamable.com/iwjzo

It's like a rubbing noise. It makes the sound under extremely slow movement (<1 miles per hour) I'm not sure what's causing this noise. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds more like rubbing on rubber. Do the hubcaps overlap the edge of the wheel and rest on the tire? I'm thinking it's more likely the u-joints on the driveshaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Does sound like a u-joint. Have you checked it with the hubcaps off just to be sure?
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Does sound like a u-joint. Have you checked it with the hubcaps off just to be sure?
        This!
        I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

so with hubcaps off, the noise isn't made. Something is flexing on the hubcap somehow. If the tires are oversized in width, they may be rubbing. If the tires are low, they may be rubbing. If the hubcap is not fully seated, it may be floating and rubbing in the float. This is one thing I liked about the wire wheel hubcaps with the security screw. You can lock those bastards down tight and they won't wiggle at all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X