How Big is Your Rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Big is Your Rear?

I’m on the verge of changing my 2.73 gears to 3.55. Maybe that’s still too big. Maybe I should think about 3.73 gears too. So I was wondering what other folks use and how do they like them?

I live in a mostly rural area with couple of stop lights as I head into work. I would say I go around 60-65mph unless I take the interstate, then it’s around 70-75mph. Once my confidence is back in the car, I would like to take weekend trips. Driving mostly on the interstates around 80-85mph.

As always, I appreciated everyone’s inputs and opinions.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Depends if you care about fuel. You should notice a 30% increase in engine rpms at a given cruising speed just going to the 3.55's. E.g. what was 2,700 would now be 3,500.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

For 3.55 at a given speed (let's say 60), multiply by 1.3. Thats 78 in this case. Go 78 with your currentl setup and this will be the same rpm you would be running at 60 with the 3.55.

If you're going to be doing 75-85mph with any regularity, I personally wouldn't go higher than 3.55. Just too many rpm for my liking.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

3.55 are fine, especially with a non-HO. They don't make any power at high rpm, so there is no point in really low gearing if you do a fair bit of highway work.

Mine came with a 3.55 when it left Wixom in 1986, and its still got those gears.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's been converted to Speed Density HO. And I should tell you that I'm looking at a Mass Air setup with 24lb injectors in the future. Does that change any thinking of gears to run?

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

In my 2000 MGM with 3.55s, my highway range is about 60-75mph. The highway speed limit around here is actually about 62mph, and I try to stay around that for fuel economy. I really wouldn't want to do 75mph on a prolonged basis. For my purposes, the 3.55s are just fine, but I could see how they might be a bit much for higher speeds.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

3.55 will need a 21 tooth speedo gear. 3.73 will need a 23 tooth speedo gear. Unless you change the output shaft to a mustang AOD 7-tooth from the 8-tooth shaft our boats came with, I wouldn't go higher than 3.55.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigT View Post
                Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's been converted to Speed Density HO. And I should tell you that I'm looking at a Mass Air setup with 24lb injectors in the future. Does that change any thinking of gears to run?
                3.55 at a minimum then. 3.73 would also be fine, though once you get past that the speedo gears get stupid. Too many teeth, and they self-destruct rapidly. My car runs quite happily in the 70-75 range.

The HO has shit for torque down low, so they're pretty dismal with the granny highway gears most of these cars came with.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have 4.10s in my 8.8 rear. I currently love it. In 3rd gear I can be cruising down the highway at 3500 for 60 mph and then shift to overdrive for 2k rpms unless I want to go faster up to 2500 for about 70-75

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Comment

3.55 would be the lowest I would go for a cruiser.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
                    06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
                    97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

I got 4.10s. With 5.4 and manual trans it's too much. Was perfect when I had 4.6 with a blower but now thinking of switching to 3.55s.

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations. I feel better about the 3.55 gears now. I didn’t want to go through the gear change only to wish I had gone a step lower or two afterwards.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

Edit: Why, you looking to buy me pants?!?

I have 4.30s! Came with the silver car. My speedometer basically reads in KPH on the MPH marks (NOS 140mph police speedometer) 100 is 62mph. The rear end gets noisy AF over 63-65mph, but it will pin you in your seats from a stop and chirp the summer or winter tires on the 1-2 shift if you are on it hard. Since it's a '91 I could get a $150-ish stepdown electronic doohickey to wire in and fix the speedo, but meh. Hilarious when you're doing 55 and the passenger is like "are we really going 85?!?!?"

The '82 Mark VI has a non-posi 2.73 or 2.83 rear from a '97 Grand Marquis with disc brakes I had put in.
                          Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 07-21-2017, 03:36 PM.
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

3.73's here with an HO conversion and some 255/5017's. 75mph and shes rpming around 2400 in overdrive.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X