Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak of ATF on Automatic Transmission?

Hi guys!

I notice that my ´87 Colony park (apparently) is leaking ATF from the Automatic transmission, and the drops are bigger and bigger
    I leave you a picture where is leaking. I know is not the best image, but since I´m not in the US, I need to know if the problem could be a gasket and if you can help me to identify it to do the importation to my country, or any other recommendations from people with experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170723_142119524_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1303965

About the transmission oil (ATF), It looks clean and good, but since I don´t have the previous car history or any info about its maintenance I´m still doubtful about to change it, as I wrote on a previous post the myth says that the Automatic transmission will fail if I change the lubricant.
    Thank you!
    Attached Files

It looks like the leak is right at the front of the transmission. Are you sure it is ATF and not engine oil? When I have engine oil leaks it collects on the front of the transmission because, when the car is driving, wind blows it back to the transmission. The oil then drips onto the ground from there. I would double check to make sure it is ATF and if you find that it is actually engine oil clean the engine oil pan and see if there are any leaks there. The engine oil drain plugs might have a bad seal.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Take a white cloth to a drip you see on the car and tell us the color of it.

I am also leaning towards it being engine oil.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Unless the pump seal or the torque converter are leaking... that's probably engine oil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes, I think in engine oil first, my mechanic changed the oil the past week (Motorcraft 10w-40), maybe it is not well sealed, the color is brown and looks veeery clean, so your theory sounds logic. Will try to identify the exact point of leak, a least visually seems to be the front of transmission and hope it is ok!! (I really afraid about automatic transmissions )

Thank you!!

Comment

If its dripping from there, its usually the back of the intake manifold and/or valve cover gaskets and the oil is running down the back of the motor. Rear main seals rarely go bad on these. Not impossible, just not common.

ATF is red, or it should be red. If its brown, thats scary.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 check the PCV gromet and make sure the PCV valve is well seated. Even still, if the rear seal on the lower intake is shot, it'll still leak. My 88 was like that until this past Thanksgiving/Christmas time when I had a shop do the intake/valve cover gaskets along with the water pump that was leaking (and timing chain while they were in that far). Thing doesn't leak at all now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

And if you're wondering what these folks are talking about when they mention the PCV valve and the intake leaks, hopefully later this week I'll be able to provide you with pictures of the respective items. Along with some part numbers for the seals you need to fix the mess.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                  And if you're wondering what these folks are talking about when they mention the PCV valve and the intake leaks, hopefully later this week I'll be able to provide you with pictures of the respective items. Along with some part numbers for the seals you need to fix the mess.
                  That would be great!. I understand (partially), but your pics will be very helpful!

Thanks to all for your advice!

Comment

Jesus, there ya go brother: picture #1 (taken from in front of the car) shows the entirety of the top of the engine with any and all intakes removed, the silver seam across the back of the engine block is actually the sealant that prevents oil from leaking out from under the intakes. Now keep in mind this engine's intake had been resealed once before, so your own engine in all likelihood won't have that silvery silicone-like seal, instead you'll most likely find an almost black cork gasket that is well soaked with oil and baked to a crisp. Still the location is the same on your engine as it is on this one, the 2nd pic shows you a more close-up of what you got going on there - silver line across block is Ultra Grey RTV by Permatex, the grey squares to each side of it are leftovers from the Felpro gaskets that seal the intake to the heads (I deliberately didn't clean those areas at the time so I can show you what's going on).

In case you're wondering why you're not seeing any oil leaks across the rear intake seal on this engine, that is because there were none, after the reseal a few years ago it never leaked a drop there. The intake was pulled because it's getting switched out, tomorrow night I'll have some more pics of how it all fits back together and also some part numbers for you.

Edti: the large grey-ish blob-like part behind the seal is actually the top of transmission, if you look close on pic #2 you can see the stains old oil leaks left on the aluminum before the intake was resealed to put a stop to them.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I've used the FelPro Permadry intake gaskets that come with the rubber piece at the end with good results too. The cork seal is garbage and always seems to leak.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I understand. So, your theory is that the leak begins in the back of the block, dripping on the top of the transmission, and then under the car from the front of the transmission (the visible leak for me), right?

Even if the problem was not there I think the change of gaskets are necessary as preventive maintenance, If you can provide me more info, pics and part numbers to look for them on ebay I will be very grateful. In fact, I´m now!
                        Still can´t identify if the drops are ATF or Oil engine, I will take a pic of the lubricant to be sure of what it is. But I think is from the engine because it looks dark brown and very clean and the oil was changed a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JesusGM View Post
                          I understand. So, your theory is that the leak begins in the back of the block, dripping on the top of the transmission, and then under the car from the front of the transmission (the visible leak for me), right?
                          That's exactly right! It's a pretty standard leak for these things when they get old, even if they don't have many miles on them the years do take their toll on seals an other rubber parts.

Even if the problem was not there I think the change of gaskets are necessary as preventive maintenance, If you can provide me more info, pics and part numbers to look for them on ebay I will be very grateful. In fact, I´m now!
                          That's a good way of thinking, little preventive maintenance now can save you lots of trouble in the future. I was planning on doing the job today but it didn't happen (fuel tank and other stuff got in the way), should be good for tomorrow tho, I'll take pics as I go so you know what to expect. Part # tomorrow also.

Still can´t identify if the drops are ATF or Oil engine, I will take a pic of the lubricant to be sure of what it is. But I think is from the engine because it looks dark brown and very clean and the oil was changed a week ago.
                          It's most likely the engine oil, yes. No big deal, pretty easy fix that requires a few cheap parts and just your basic mechanic's tools.

Comment

The cork stuff stinks!

Definitely endorse FelPro PermaDry stuff. Quality - rubber ends with a small bead of Rtv in corners takes care of things.
                            No leaks on anything I own or have installed on.
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

+1 on the Felpro Permadry. My 88 does not leak any more and that's what was put on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X