Prolong life of new exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prolong life of new exhaust?

As I've alluded to previously, I'm accumulating all the parts required to replace the exhaust on my Town Car and in doing so, convert to dual exhaust. I've got the H, the tails, the cats (yes, cats), and hoping to re-use the mufflers off my '97 Vic parts car which are some sort of rumbly aftermarket examples. Just waiting on some band clamps then need to examine the hanger situation. I'm doing everything I can to avoid any welded parts.

The body of the cats is stainless, but I'm not sure the pipe is. I take it something like VHT Flameproof (prime, paint, clear) would be appropriate for the pipes because of how hot that area gets.

What I'm not clear on is if the H, mufflers, and tails will get hot enough to cure the VHT product. What would the recommended product/process be to protect those parts on a winter-driven vehicle?

H and tails are aluminized steel. My experience with Walker stuff in the past is that 5 years is the lifespan if unpainted. I'm hoping to go a lot longer than that...

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

VHT website says 650F to cure on the last step. I don't think the tails get that hot. But I bet your H Will under extended load. Call the company and ask about rust protection if you don't get that last curing step. And try some on your current setup just to see what happens.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have religiously painted all steel exhaust pipes with VHT high temp paint on principle for over 20 years.
      The results are that you get another 1 or 2 years beyond not painting the pipes.
      But what the hell it only costs another 5 or 6 bucks to get another 1 or 2 years.
      It is slightly cost effective.
      The real solution if you know the car is going to be yours forever is to "bite the bullet" and go mandrel bent stainless.

Comment

question is whether its rusting from the inside out or outside in. Inside out you can't do much about. Maybe a small drain hole at the bend behind the muffler to drain moisture out will help a bit, but beyond that making sure the engine is run long enough to get the pipes fully hot is about all you can really do for it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1 or 2 years...not even really worth the cost of the materials...

That whole rusting from the inside issue did occur to me and I'm pretty sure it's why the Y-pipe failed at a cat flange on my '91. I'm tempted to use VHT on the inside of the pipes as far as the spray can reach, to hopefully deter that from happening. Viable?

Stainless would be nice but when you have 5 vehicles that all need exhaust it just doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately my commute is quite short so I think I may just be screwed on the exhaust rust topic.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Nah, unless you can clean the insides of the pipes the paint wont stick. It will just trap the moisture and accelerate the process, imagine a rocker panel... I think rotting from the inside out is the concern, with the one of the cat's byproducts being water its almost inevitable...
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              1 or 2 years...not even really worth the cost of the materials...

That whole rusting from the inside issue did occur to me and I'm pretty sure it's why the Y-pipe failed at a cat flange on my '91. I'm tempted to use VHT on the inside of the pipes as far as the spray can reach, to hopefully deter that from happening. Viable?

Stainless would be nice but when you have 5 vehicles that all need exhaust it just doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately my commute is quite short so I think I may just be screwed on the exhaust rust topic.
              I think eastwood makes a product that may interest you.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hi-...-w-nozzle.html
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                I think eastwood makes a product that may interest you.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-hi-...-w-nozzle.html
                Now there's an idea...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

They have a product for coating the inside of frame rails that works on a similar concept. Kind of genius honestly.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cleaning. Cleaning, clean. If you can't get the surface to be painted clean & water break free, it's a waste of time. Think blister-ready-to-pop waste of time. I work in the corrosion industry, I'm schooled in the art of making things not rust. Why I'm a fan of oil/wax, shit that repels water. Coatings have a finite life system anyway, none seem to be impervious to water exposure.

Comment

Maybe pcv fumes into exhaust pipe will help delay the rusting from inside....🤔 Oil fumes I mean..
                      “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Rebuild your engine and leave a ring off each piston. This should provide a healthy coating of oil throughout your exhaust system and prevent rust forever!

Comment

Ah, yes, this project. Still not done lol. Chronic procrastination is an art, and I am an artist...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            Rebuild your engine and leave a ring off each piston. This should provide a healthy coating of oil throughout your exhaust system and prevent rust forever!

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                            Ah, yes, this project. Still not done lol. Chronic procrastination is an art, and I am an artist...
                            LoL I'd ask if you've met me but you have, just not seen how I do procrastination.. With all your updates you make me feel pretty bad haha.
                            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 10-12-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X