No announcement yet.

Trying to find a coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. I see some moisture with my flashlight, down in the bank valley, though it's already after dusk and quite chilly on my side of the globe, so I can't tell what it is exactly, or the smell. There's no pooling, looks like something moist, and it's not oil. As far as I can see, the hose seems to be dry, though I can't see the last few inches on the firewall side in the present lighting conditions. (Took the car out from the underground garage to let my GF vacuum her company car).

Where does the hose go behind the engine block, i.e. on the firewall side and what does it connect to?
    '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
    '96 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6
    "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

PS. One more thing, should I have to take off that darn intake manifold assembly: do I need to replace the coil pack gaskets, aside from the IM gaskets?
      '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
      "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

Most important thing is monitoring the coolant level in the tank. Tank level will go up and down significantly with engine and ambient temp. If your garage maintains a pretty stable temp this is ideal. When the engine is cold grab a flashlight & check the level. Check it the same way over time and you will see if you have a leak.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

True that. I will do this. My car is a "Forum member" vehicle without major surprises potentially not disclosed or unknown to the seller; however, the mileage (170 kmi) and the visual condition of the coolant pipes and hoses have me think of getting the bypass, radiator upper and radiator lower hoses and the T-stat gaskets for a replacement before spring.

Comment

The coil packs dont have gaskets, the coil boots themselves seal the spark plug wells. Just dont overtorque the coil bolts or else theyll flop around.

Comment

That plastic elbow was a gates meant for high temp. Brass is still better. The worst is a standard plumbing plastic elbow. Might get a couple of trips out of those.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
              X