Differences in 98-02 and 03-11 wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in 98-02 and 03-11 wheels?

I picked up a set of aluminum stockers off an '04 for my dad's '00 CVPI. He just texted me a said they don't fit his car because they're hitting the brake caliper. Is this a known issue? Do the '03+ wheels have different specs which make them incompatible with '98-'02?
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Yes, '03 and up are WAAAYYY different backspace, similar to mustang. '98-02 need more of a classic or deep-dish offset. There's a chart for this somewhere but something like you want your backspace to be half the rim-width plus a 1/2 inch. HPP or LX sport wheels from a -02 will work, but anything newer you'll need spacers. Some people run them and swear it's no biggie but i'd rather just get something that fits right.

Comment

You can make the newer '03+ wheels work, but you need spacers to make them work correctly. I got spacers for the Corbas I haven't put on the '97. IIRC, I got 1.25" spacers for the front and 1.5" spacers for the back. If you go the spacer route, look for hub centric spacers, not lug centric ones. Plenty of them can be found marketed towards Mustangs, but they'll work fine for us since we share the same lug pattern and center bore as the post-Fox Body cars ('94+).
      Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 08-17-2017, 01:07 PM.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

02 and older have 0 mm offset. 03+ have 40+ mm offset.

Comment

I keep forgetting to invite you to junkyard time in D/FW.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Spacing difference wants about a 1 1/2" spacer to make it fit. Sit the wheels side by side, the difference is very obvious. If not, lay a straightedge across the inner edge and measure from there to the back side of the bolt flange on both.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              I keep forgetting to invite you to junkyard time in D/FW.
              I might be able to attend one in the next few months.

I can't believe I didn't realize the difference in the wheels before buying some. I think trying to unload them will be difficult.
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
              X