Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Wheels Are Compatible With 98-02 Panthers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Wheels Are Compatible With 98-02 Panthers?

I’ve been in the market for tires for awhile, and getting a decent used set on rims seems to be my best bet. It would be nice to get another set of HPP wheels, but I wouldn’t want to pass up any awesome deals on something else.

As I understand it, the critical parameters I’m looking for are:
    1. tire size - with stock being 225/60R16
    2. rim diameter and width - with stock being 16" x 7"
    3. bolt spacing - with stock being five-bolt spaced at 114.3mm (4.5")
    4. center bore - with stock being 70.5mm (just over 2.75")
    5. offset - with stock being 6mm, but close enough to zero that zero might work

Is there a list somewhere of wheels from other cars (including non-Fords) that are an exact match?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Aftermarket like Cragar Soft 8(one wheel but there are others out there) or Mustang wheels with spacers(spacer size depends on which year they are from)

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I run 17x8 MB wheels old-school(look kinda like torq-thrust) with 4.5" backspace on my '90. Should fit perfectly on a '98-02 as well. Far as factory shit, HPP or LX sport wheels of the right years. No idea what other type of stuff would fit. Go aftermarket that way you know what you're getting because you specified it. Lots of good wheels for under $150/per. Not bad compared to the shit people put on their cars these days. 26" dumbass-looking shit rims that cost $2k on a $500 cutlass? No thanks. Treat yourself and your car to some decent wheels. For the record, wheels=under 20". RIMS are 20"+. Don't put rims on your car, please.

Comment

I'm definitely not looking for anything fancy at this stage of my car's life. It's more a matter of going on Kijiji (which seems to be more popular than Craigslist up here) and hoping to find a really low-priced but good quality wheel/tire set that some naive or desperate person wants to get rid of. Such people tend not to include much information, and it's too much of a hassle to look stuff up. If I had a list of cars that have the same wheel specs, that would make things much easier.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
        ... For the record, wheels=under 20". RIMS are 20"+. Don't put rims on your car, please.
        I've never heard of that before. I'd always presumed rims were the metal part and wheels were rims with tires.

It seems that a "rim" is actually the outer part of the wheel in contact with the tire:

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/wh...heel-rim-parts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=90
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 08-19-2017, 01:50 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah not sure how universal that terminology is but I live in California, so generally when people are talking about "rims" they are some huge, stupid looking shit on an equally stupid car. Buy a 2wd truck, put a lift kit on it, then 26" rims? Makes no sense, but that's the kinda of crap that goes on here. Buying a dodge charger? Don't buck up for the v8 option, get a 6, then put shitty-sounding exhaust on it and bigass rims. Because THAT, is the mark of cool. Sorry, just can't stand most things about where I live anymore.

Comment

Doesn't really matter what you call them, those wagon wheels are just wrong.
            I've heard anything aftermarket called rims, generally a bit flashy...I call wheels wheels.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
            X