Rear disc conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc conversion question

I have a few questions I have a 88 MGM with stock 2.73 open diff. i have a posi that I was gonna rebuild and put in my stock axle but after reading about a few members upgraded to rear disc now I'm think of doing the same. I tried to look for the tread but can't find it i know its here. 1 What years make and model axle would I need. 2 also what parts do I need to get. 3 I also found a rear swaybar that bolt to my lower rear arms (I believe it's the thin one, I think it came of a 89 cv not the bigger one) will it still work or would the donor cars swaybar be better. 4 would I need a different drive shaft if so what year and 5 would the control arm be the same or are they better thank in advance
    Attached Files

thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...r-Disc-Upgrade

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That swaybar will work for you, as long as your lower arms are drilled. If they're not drilled, just make the holes yourself. Rear swaybar from the car that's donating your rear discs will not work easily, it's doable certainly, but it ain't gonna happen without that magical device that can take make two separate metal pieces into one Stick with the bar you have in that picture, it fits properly.

Driveshaft, there's no need to mess with it at all. Leave it be, unless the U-joints are getting funky, in which case replace them and reinstall shaft after axle rebuild is done.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

It is not required that you replace the axles if they are in good condition.

It is often nice to get another axle housing with control arms, do a complete rebuild on the new assembly and then swap in the whole assembly. If you have the space to work this is a convenient way to go. 90-95? (am I right in the year range here guys?) housings are just slightly wider which is a small plus and are a direct bolt in. The 92 & up could be equipped with disks. This procedure has the advantage of less vehicle downtime and it is also a convenient time to replace the control arm bushings.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

90-97 is the direct swap range with the wider axle assembly. 98+ mounts differently.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            90-97 is the direct swap range with the wider axle assembly. 98+ mounts differently.
            Also are the rear ends the same on aero Vic's

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
              All CV/GMQ/Town Car axles are the same for a given year range save for the gear ratio. They all have the same physical mounting points and disk brakes. The years that fit a box body are '92-'97, with '95-'97 having slightly larger/beefier brakes.

Town Cars all had 3.08s for the year ranges that'll work for you. That is except for the Town Car Signature Touring from '95-'97 which would have 3.27s.

CV/GMQ had 3.08s until '94. Starting in '95 with the switch to the 4R70W transmission, they received 2.73s as standard. This is excepting the cars with the factory Handling/Performance Package which like the Signature Touring would have had 3.27s. Also the Aero P71 package which also had 3.27 as standard with the option of 3.55 most years.
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

My car, a 91 CV, came with a 2:73 open rear end. I picked up a low miles, complete rear end, not a PI from a 92 with a 3 L 55 rear end and of course the disc brakes came with it.
                swapped that into my 91 and reused my 91 CVPI sway.
                Basically a bolt in job!

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                  Thanks for the help I'm still undecided of which gears to go but at least now i knows which ones to look for. Ima go for 3.27 most likely or 3.55

Comment

If its a stock LoPo, 3.55s are a bit much for them. I've been in a few boxes with 3.55s and the engine is just out of its power band too quickly. 3.27 would probably be about perfect, its not going to lug the engine like 2.73s but it'll keep the RPMs closer to where a stock LoPo makes "power". Unless they are modified, 5.0s just don't like to rev, they fall flat on their face past 4k RPM. That all changes when you start tweaking the heads/cam/exhaust of course, they can be pretty lively and could really take advantage of a more aggressive gear.
                    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                      If its a stock LoPo, 3.55s are a bit much for them. I've been in a few boxes with 3.55s and the engine is just out of its power band too quickly. 3.27 would probably be about perfect, its not going to lug the engine like 2.73s but it'll keep the RPMs closer to where a stock LoPo makes "power". Unless they are modified, 5.0s just don't like to rev, they fall flat on their face past 4k RPM. That all changes when you start tweaking the heads/cam/exhaust of course, they can be pretty lively and could really take advantage of a more aggressive gear.
                      Im In the process of gathering parts I already have a gt40 intake I'm getting Wednesday and maybe some gt40 heads but won't be on the car any time soon just don't want to change gears again when I upgrade its mostly a freeway driver
                      Last edited by Elias; 08-26-2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'd stick with the 3.27s then, you Texans are speed demons so the 3.55s may be a bit too much when you're keeping up with traffic at 90mph.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                          I'd stick with the 3.27s then, you Texans are speed demons so the 3.55s may be a bit too much when you're keeping up with traffic at 90mph.
                          hahaha

Comment

I was actually being serious tho - nowhere else have I witnessed a 90mph wreck between two pickups pulling trailers the size of some people's houses, them northbound lanes of whatever interstate runs out of San Antone by Austin towards Dallas must have been closed for quite a while to clean up that mess.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                              This. Not sure when Ford made the decision but sometime 86+ all Signature series and up trim level Town Cars were standard with 3.27's. Mine has 'em. Put me a Trac Loc back there when I got it and bought snow tires cause I thought I was going to drive it in the salt and winter.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X