No announcement yet.

Rear disc conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, the teardown is expected, just didn't know if he was planning to do it today. Used axle would get the shafts pulled for inspection and new seals at a bare minimum. More depending on the inspection results of course.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yeah, the teardown is expected, just didn't know if he was planning to do it today. Used axle would get the shafts pulled for inspection and new seals at a bare minimum. More depending on the inspection results of course.
      I took most of stuff of the rearend and cleaned the outside off it a little. I won't be taking the internal stuff out tho myself. I'm In the process of looking for a good shop to rebuild the whole rearend the. I will paint it my self. I took the rooters of and it looks like they didn't have any emergency brakes hahah. Also polish half of the driveshaft looks pretty good I think don't mind the dog he photobombed me
      Attached Files

Comment

yeah, common. The friction material glue fails and it falls off. Shoes are actually on clearance for under 10 bucks on rockauto. They a complete piece of cake to change while the axles are out, so you may as well replace them.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You could polish the cover while it's off too.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover 3 polish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1282253
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
            You could polish the cover while it's off too.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]48270[/ATTACH]
            Still not sure if I wanna keep the original one probably get one of these instead I'm leaning more towards the moser one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
              Still not sure if I wanna keep the original one probably get one of these instead I'm leaning more towards the moser one.
              I have the Moser one, figured I'd get it to match the axles [emoji12]

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I like the Ford one but isn't the fill plug a bit high? Also, is it possible to find one like the factory cover but with drain/fill plugs? I don't need the fins..
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You could probably add a drain, but you can always fill through the stock plug on the front.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    I like the Ford one but isn't the fill plug a bit high? Also, is it possible to find one like the factory cover but with drain/fill plugs? I don't need the fins..
                    Yes the fill plug is high, so is the Moser one actually. It's a convenience thing, you can add all the oil your axle needs without having it come back out the plug and make a mess. Obviously you need to know how much oil you axle calls for.

As for the stock cover with extra plugs, got a welder? I've added plugs on truck axles that are liable to get submerged in water, makes the obligatory oil change after the deed much easier.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Well I like to think more is better, so I'd fill the whole thing but I think there'd be an issue with thermal expansion & it coming out of the vent hole...

No welder here and zippo welding skills. If you were to make me a cover & paint it black like my factory one I would be forever grateful. An estimate of the price would be nice
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Oddly enough the stock one manages to contain the oil in an entirely satisfactory manner without an additional cost. When I change the oil again in 10 years or so, I'll just deal with cleaning the silicone off at that time.

Comment

Okay so I think I found some places to rebuild the rear they are asking 300 + parts and one is askig 450 + parts. What y'all think is that normal or high and do any of y'all know the entire parts list I would need. To rebuild the whole rearend.

Comment

Also finished polishing the shaft looks good to me I wonder how long the shine will last probably look for the u joint tomorrow
                            Attached Files

Comment

clearcoat it. Aluminum oxidizes fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                                Okay so I think I found some places to rebuild the rear they are asking 300 + parts and one is askig 450 + parts. What y'all think is that normal or high and do any of y'all know the entire parts list I would need. To rebuild the whole rearend.
                                Sounds about right. 300 is on the low side, basically expect to pay that if all goes smooth as butter. Stuff starts acting up (say a wheel bearing busts apart upon removal, the rollers and cage come out but the race remains stuck in the axle tube) and the labor time increases and so does your bill.
                                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X