Tripminder Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder Installation

So I grabbed a Tripminder from a '89 LTD CV today. I've been searching around and reading through a few install threads trying to make sure I've got my stuff straight so I can put it in the '87.

First off, I did not grab the complete harness, which I seem to have found is unique to 1989 models. I simply cut the wires a few inches back with the intention of splicing into the existing clock harness. From what I've gathered I should be okay since the clock provides the four wires I'll need, primarily B+ Power, Switched Power, Dimmer, and Ground. It looks like I've got to run two wires for the vehicle speed input and fuel flow.

Fuel flow is the green/white and the vehicle speed is blue/pink, or am I backwards? Also, from what I've read, those two wires I need to tap into are down by the parking brake release on a plug with a plastic sheathing over it? I'd go solely based on pictures, but since Photobucket has effectively wrecked a good many thread and other threads have broken links as well, I don't have a lot of visuals to go based on.

I'm just trying to ensure I've got things sorted properly so that I can wire stuff up quickly and get it functional.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

You have the colors backwards.

My EVTM says LB/P for fuel flow.

DG/W for Speed input.

EDIT. Manual says you can find both wires in different connectors taped to I/P harness, near LH grommets.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-04-2017, 07:19 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If it didn't have a tripminder initially, the fuel flow wire will not be available under the dash. It will be available under the hood by the ecm connector via a single wire pigtail. You will have to run the wire into the car and to the tripminder. It's Light blue purple. The speed sensor wiring is present under the dash next to the ecm in a seethrough (now yellowed) rubber cover. Couldn't tell you what the purpose of it is. But it's there. Tap the green white for vss + and black for vss return to the Tripminder. You will also need the dimmer wire, which is found taped to the harness under the dash pad above the speedometer. The rest of the wires are from the existing digital clock harness.

Comment

I'm wondering if I got a bum Tripminder. I've followed some of the tricks to try and get it to turn on for a bench test. I confirmed my positive/negative is correct since I can turn on my old digidash (I'm using a HO model train power pack). The Tripminder will hum, but the display won't come on. :/

Sure hope it might work on the car. I'll still probably get the wiring put in place since it would be worthwhile to have anyway, even if I have to get a different unit.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

those don't output clean DC voltage. Try it in the car.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            those don't output clean DC voltage. Try it in the car.
            Sounds like a plan then. I'll be out where I keep the wagon tomorrow and I can work on running wires and such.

My Cars:

Comment

I have tried bench testing several tripminders. None of them did anything on the bench.

I have an 89 tripminder in my 88. I was able to get both from under the dash in the unused factory connector.

And IIRC one of those clock wire colors were off from the tripminder.

Tripminder is my favorite option and is my biggest reason to not like the 90+ dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yup the 89 harness is different and it was the only year it was like that 82-88 harness is what you need

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Tripminder powered up great in the car. Buttons work well, now I've just got to wire up the speed input and fuel input.

My Cars:

Comment

Was tripminder an option in '84? Wondering if I have the speed fuel wire in mine to tap into.

Comment

I installed one in my 85 wagon and I could not find any of factory wiring. Had to build a small harness but it was easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
                        Was tripminder an option in '84? Wondering if I have the speed fuel wire in mine to tap into.
                        Originally posted by Steveh66 View Post
                        I installed one in my 85 wagon and I could not find any of factory wiring. Had to build a small harness but it was easy.
                        I was able to find all of the wiring I needed, however I did not have a factory harness to plug the connectors into, so I did some splicing. Having the digital clock already in place was four of my six wires. Those wires is a constant hot, hot with key on, dimmer, and ground. Getting the VSS+ feed was easy since I found that under the dash quickly. The fuel flow wire was right where everyone said it was under the hood.

If you look around the driver's side corner of the engine bay towards the firewall, you may see an unused circular looking connector with a singular wire. That's the fuel flow line. I'll try and update this thread with pictures when I have the wagon out tomorrow.

I know there's a thread where someone did it to a 1983? GMQ, but they had to add a wire to the PCM for one of the feeds, but that may have been unique to EEC-III.

I've really liked having it so I can figure out fuel consumption at certain speeds. Even for it's age, it works rather well and hasn't given me any real issue since it was installed.

My Cars:

Comment

Something to be mindful of is that 84-85 is EEC-IV, but is CFI, and the harness under the hood is accordingly fairly different. There are also subtle differences between the 84 and 85 harnesses even though they are functionally identical. I'm running an 85 harness in my 84 so I became quite familiar with those differences...

My 85 has the Tripminder, so it'll go into an 84 easily (even if you have to hunt for wires, at least you know the signals you're looking for are there to be found somewhere). My question at that point is whether the fuel flow output of a CFI EEC-IV ECM is the same as a SEFI EEC-IV ECM, and furthermore, how those outputs compare to an EEC-III ECM. This compatibility is what determines what donor cars you could take it from.
                          Last edited by kishy; 10-06-2017, 02:49 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                          | 88 TC | 91 GM
                          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

Cool, mine has the clock and I don't mind running some wires I just wasn't sure if the signal points to tie into would even exist on mine with it be CFI.

I'll have to keep an eye out in the JY's from now on, 'clocks' are $5 ;-)

Comment

grabbed a tripminder from a CP in the junk yard today.

Comment

Working...
                              X