'04 GM eating A/C compressors like chocolate bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'04 GM eating A/C compressors like chocolate bars

Clutch keeps going on A/C compressors. Replaced a couple years ago, replaced in May, replaced again in August, and now rattling again.

I'm in Texas, so lots of highway cruising at 80-90 with the A/C cranked up. 4R70W with 3.27:1 rear axle. Do I need some sort of extra heavy duty A/C unit?
    '04 LS Premium

Is it the compressor clacking or the clutch rattling? If the latter... just run it. If the former... yeah, might just be a crap lot. Might need to try an all-new or just get a refund on that one and get a Denso (what I did after the last replacement only lasted 2 years).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If they aren't shimmed correctly it will wear rapidly. Unless its the bearing, in which case you need to use the AC more. The bearing does nothing when the compressor is engaged.

If the AC is low on charge it will make the compressor cycle a lot, and thats not something you really want happening at high speed all the time. I
      Last edited by gadget73; 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Video for air gap checking;
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-nMDFvSjFk

Alex.

Comment

Turns out the rattling sound which I started this thread for was the radiator fan, which has been replaced.

But then this morning the compressor blew again. All three failures (May, August, today) have been the same --> A/C stops blowing cold, then burning smell. It's not a question of lack of use, I'm running San Antonio-Austin-Houston so it's on constantly.

That air gap video makes me jealous - would be that my compressor wasn't mounted on the *underside* of the engine.
          '04 LS Premium

Comment

yeah thats not one of Ford's more easily accessed items. Sell point for the old 5.0, the compressor is right up on top.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So you are burning up the clutch coil, not the the ac compressor itself from how you describe it. Once you verify that, you could see about changing that on car so you don't need to evacuate the a/c system.

Comment

Working...
              X