2 barrel to 4 barrel TV cable problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 barrel to 4 barrel TV cable problems?

My 81 MkVI has rod knock, sadly, so I've been thinking about swapping the 302 I rebuilt from my 79 Thunderbird into it.
    But I have a 4 barrel Holley 4160 on my rebuilt engine and I've been wondering what exactly I need to do with the TV cable.
    To my knowledge it seems I can't just hook up the TV cable setup to the Holley?
    Do I absolutely have to get a Lokar cable or can I still use my original one?
    I've read that Holleys and Edelbrocks need new hardware to fit a Lokar cable on but no parts store guys in my town know anything and aren't much help, don't know if I have found the right part on Summit racing either.

So basically, Do I have to buy a Lokar cable when I do the engine swap? What Kit would I need to buy to fit the TV cable to a holley?
    I'd prefer not have to buy a Lokar cable if I don't have too

yES YOU NEED A adapter BRACKET for the Holley and a locar cable, can be purchased from Summit
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

those Lokar cables are garbage.

You may need an additional lever on the side of the Holley to activate the rod, but something tells me that a little creative fabricating can make the rod hook to the Holley. Really its just not that complicated. The throttle has to move the rod at the proper rate. Measure the distance from the center of the shaft to the TV rod pin, make sure that whatever device goes on the new carb is the same measurement. May be able to adapt the thing that they sell for the TV cable to work with the rod.

failing all that, I'd be trying to adapt the SEFI TV cable to it. Those Lokar things hold together with one little clamp screw at each end, and they do come apart. The cable is chintzy, the brackets are crappy, and overall it just does not seem like a well designed system. The couple times I've had to deal with them, once the set screw came loose and the TV pressure went to zero, another time the shitty mounting bracket that holds with one of the carb nuts came loose and jammed things up, another one required some springs added to the trans side to pull the TV lever closed at lower throttle. The factory stuff ain't sexy looking but its not a $1200 trans rebuild either.
      Last edited by gadget73; 09-08-2017, 05:01 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I need this Cable. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...odht/overview/

But out of these 3 brackets, is there any one I should get? https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...ssion-type/aod

Comment

Actually from what I can gather, I need this TV cable corrector https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sox-as4-04k
          And then this Lokar bracket https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...4000/overview/
          Along with the TV cable
          Would this all sound correct?
          I really don't want to screw something up here, as this car is my DD and I will be taking time off work to be able to do the engine swap and TV cable install

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9040131.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1282255 All of it will be attaching to this Holley

Comment

The lokar stuff looks iffy to me as well.

Consider what this guy did: http://perichbrothers.blogspot.com/2...paste.html?m=1

I will run into the same problem if I use the AOD I have in my 68. I'll be trying the route above.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Just about all of the reviews for the Lokar cable on Summit are 5/5, looks solid enough to me when I watched an installation video

Comment

Have been running a lokar cable and and adapter for the holley for 5 years or better no issues

Comment

Well I ordered all of the parts, wish me luck, guys. Damn expensive for what little you get

Comment

I think, as its been a while, I used the spring at the end of the cable from the factory cable not tthe lokar spring it was too weak.

Comment

Well I just found out, now that I'm finally doing the engine swap, that the kick down rod on the carb also acts as the "cable" for the TV. I've been looking at the wrong cable attached to the carb, the whole time, I basically just ordered all the stuff I needed for a a 4 barrel carb for no reason at all since I have the Ford kick down linkage on my Holley already.

I can't return the Lokar cable either, I already opened it to read the instructions
                      Last edited by Not A Midget; 10-18-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

It is my understanding that the Holley kick down lever does not function well for AOD TV usage. Most of them don't start moving until you are well into the throttle. Yours could be different though.
                        To check, be sure that any and all throttle movement directly results in TV rod movement, and at full throttle the TV lever is at its maximum position on the transmission. If both of these check out, then you're safe. You may not have the right line pressures at idle, but that won't kill yours trans
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The kick down metal rod style set up used for a 3 speed auto wont work. Part of it has to do with the ratio between the throttle cable connection point, throttle shaft and the TV cable connection point at the carb

Click image for larger version

Name:	NEW INTAKE GASKTS 006.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1282478 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1282479 set up for a holley
                          Last edited by turbo2256b; 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            The kick down metal rod style set up used for a 3 speed auto wont work. Part of it has to do with the ratio between the throttle cable connection point, throttle shaft and the TV cable connection point at the carb

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48547[/ATTACH] set up for a holley
                            The AOD used a metal rod up to 85 (carb/CFI applications). I am unaware of what happened with 86-91 carb cars, if they got the cable or kept the rod. The TV rod uses the same plastic grommet as SEFI except the difference is the grommet installs in the rod and the stud is on the carb/CFI throttle linkage, not integral to the rod.

Originally posted by Not A Midget View Post
                            ...the kick down rod on the carb also acts as the "cable" for the TV...
                            All AODs all the way through have only one input to control TV and the transmission figures out that you want kickdown based on the pressure, whether that input is a rod or a cable it's doing the same thing either way.

If you want any reference photos or measurements I now have 3 cars on-hand with TV rods so it wouldn't be a big deal to do that. You have the original parts, but without them in the car it may be harder to visualize the geometry of everything.

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

A guy I know who also has an 81 MkVI came into the shop yesterday, he used the Ford kick down linkage on His Holley when he went to a 4 barrel and just adjusted it so the rod started moving right away, instead of just moving when the gas pedal is pushed down half way or 3/4.

If anybody has pictures they could post, that would be great, cause now I'm kinda confused on how to set up the Lokar cable when I thought it was going to be easy

Comment

Working...
                              X